last minute run: Sat AM to Crown King (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my 100 does not have lockers

So any wheel spin was prevented by TRAC.

Airing down and a steady gas pedal got him through some tough stuff

What about the 80 series lockers engaged or not? I have a reason for asking. Two 4Runners. 99 currently with no rear locker. 04 with TRAC and Down Hill Assist. With aired down tires and a light/steady foot on the gas would the 99 made it up no problem or been spinning it's wheels? Which brings up next weekend, are there any hill climbs that might cause lost traction? There are a few other issues which might make this a mute point.

Great trip report, guys! Looks like you had a great time, and were it not for final decorations and prep for Christmas that we host for both my wife and my families, I would have been out there with you. Thanks for the pictures, murf.

Litp: I used rear locker but didn't really have to use it, its too convienent.

As far as next weeks run, No hill climbs in red creek. I drove my unlocked 60 through with no problem last time I went, yours should have no problem at all.

So any wheel spin was prevented by TRAC.

What about the 80 series lockers engaged or not? I have a reason for asking. Two 4Runners. 99 currently with no rear locker. 04 with TRAC and Down Hill Assist. With aired down tires and a light/steady foot on the gas would the 99 made it up no problem or been spinning it's wheels? Which brings up next weekend, are there any hill climbs that might cause lost traction? There are a few other issues which might make this a mute point.

The VSC turns off when i unlock the center diff, i had zero problems - you should be fine!

edit: Im still learning!

The VSC turns off when i unlock the center diff, i had zero problems - you should be fine!

edit: Im still learning!

I had a 2000 LC for a number of years but never took it off road much other up north. I know the VSC turns off when you lock the transfer case I just can't remember if it turned off the TRAC as well. VSC takes over the gas pedal and brakes if a sensor detects the vehicle is heading in a different direction than the steering wheel. More for snow and ice on pavement at speed. TRAC applies the brake to wheel that is spinning faster than the one on the other side. The ABS sensor detects the spin and then apply the brakes to the wheel. In 2000 when the VSC and TRAC started and were standard the rear locker was dropped as a option on the 100 series.

I had a 2000 LC for a number of years but never took it off road much other up north. I know the VSC turns off when you lock the transfer case I just can't remember if it turned off the TRAC as well. VSC takes over the gas pedal and brakes if a sensor detects the vehicle is heading in a different direction than the steering wheel. More for snow and ice on pavement at speed. TRAC applies the brake to wheel that is spinning faster than the one on the other side. The ABS sensor detects the spin and then apply the brakes to the wheel. In 2000 when the VSC and TRAC started and were standard the rear locker was dropped as a option on the 100 series.
ahh, learn something new everyday!:hmm:

Fumann and I were going to run the rough stretch "muffler alley?" but a Jeep was stuck badly 2/3rds of the way up and was taking forever to get their buddies to get him out.

Jeepers :rolleyes: lol

I will say that many people liked our LandCruisers. We were following a mixed group at one point with mildly or stock vehicles (Non Toyotas) that were going up a short steep section and struggling hard (spinning, sliding, cursing, puckering, etc) . We pulled up and while they watched, we slowly, and calmly (no slipping whatsoever) climbed up and over. The girl in the Range Rover (Fengler's friend) exclaimed in a "I cant believe it" tone: "Oh my God, what are these things?!"

Us Land Cruiser owners just smiled and waved. LOL

:steer:

Murf - is your new toy armored yet?

Which new toy...? The 40 has an IPOR skid plate and the 80 may look new but its old - just new paint. It has a Slee Skidplate, sliders, and the MAF rear lower control arms.

Murf; ah ha -- I, for whatever reason, thought the 80 was new to you; thus the paint, (wheels & tires, too?), and seeming other rehab work as you replaced this or that. Anyway - was curious if the stock bottom metal was fit for the more challenging CK side tracks. Answer: probably not.

No worries GW, now that I think of it the couple times weve been wheeling, youve only seen the FJ40.

Ive had my 80 for just over 8 years now and has been a constant journey of tweaks and upgrades like most of the "afflicted" Land Cruiser owners. It replaced my first LandCruiser which was a 1991 3F that I had for a couple years (Go figure it was candy ass red too :D). I am planning on keeping my '96 for quite some time so try to keep it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom