Las Vegas: Proposed Air Force Expansion Into Public DNWR Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As part of it's 2021 Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) renewal of 2.9M acres (removed from public access), the Air Force is requesting an additional 300k acres be withdrawn from public access.

I don't see a problem with part of the additional acreage being withdrawn, but the 227k acre Alamo Expansion poses a potential loss of public access to the northern end of the Desert National Wildlife Refuge (DNWR), via Alamo Road.

Everyone who enjoys the benefits afforded by having public access to the full 80 miles of Alamo Road need to be aware of this proposal and of the public meetings scheduled... Please review the information at this link.

I've submitted the following request for clarification...

"Greetings,

Assuming the proposed 227k acre Alamo Expansion comes to fruition, what will come of public access to the northern end of the DNWR, via Alamo Road?

Will Alamo Road remain open to the public, from Corn Creek to Alamo, NV?

Will public access to the northern end of the DNWR still be provided, via a reroute of Alamo Road?

Please provide a better map... e.g. One that better depicts the actual boundaries of the Alamo Expansion and its physical relationship to other landmarks... i.e. Cow Camp, Hidden Forest, White Rock, Sheep Pass, etc.

Thank you,"
Please submit comments and questions and consider attending one of the public meetings... Also, please share this information with anyone who 'plays' on Alamo Road.

Thanks!!

Public meetings schedule... Anyone concerned with potentially losing public access to the northern DNWR, via Alamo Road, should try to attend/comment.

The Air Force plans to hold five public scoping meetings from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the dates and at the locations listed below:

Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Beatty Community Center (Google Map)
100 A Avenue South
Beatty, NV 89003 Thursday, October 13, 2016

Tonopah Convention Center (Google Map)
301 Brougher Avenue
Tonopah, NV 89049
Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Caliente Elementary School (Google Map)
289 Lincoln Street
Caliente, NV 89008 Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Pahranagat Valley High School (Google Map)
151 S. Main Street
Alamo, NV 89001
Thursday, October 20, 2016

Aliante Hotel (Google Map)
7300 Aliante Parkway
North Las Vegas, NV 89084

The agenda for each scoping meeting is as follows:

5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Open House and comment submission

6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Air Force Presentation

7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Open House and comment submission resumes
back.png
Page Top

Thanks for the information Danny ... I was unaware there was a movement on the Air Force's part to secure additional acres for their sole use.

Thanks for the information Danny ... I was unaware there was a movement on the Air Force's part to secure additional acres for their sole use.

You're welcome!

I hope others are commenting via the link I listed above and/ or attending one of the meetings.

Unfortunately, I'm not available not the meetings...

Since I never heard back, regarding my comments, I reached out to the BLM Project Manager and have been emailing back and forth with Tom Seley.

You can read the gist of our discussion below... Read bottom email first and work your way up.

Hi Tom,

I would have liked to attend, but I'm actually not available this week.

My referenced landmarks are well known roads to 'trailheads'... they all intersect ('T' into) Alamo Road and all branch to the east, from Alamo Road. Alamo Road provides public access, via dead-end branch roads to Joe May (and Black Gate) canyons, Cow Camp, Hidden Springs, via Deadman Canyon, White Rock and Cabin Springs... all these dead-end roads are labeled by their destination names.

They should be well marked on the BLM maps (IIRC), but, a more easily readable set of maps are the 'North' and 'South' DNWR maps... sold by the Visitor Center at Corn Creek (DNWR Visitor Center).

The current Alamo Road routing takes it along the eastern edge of the 'range', for a 'short' (couple of miles?) distance and actually runs through a 'sliver' of the eastern edge of the 'range', for a very short distance.

It's my assumption that this is the area of the 'Alamo Expansion', but, I can't be entirely sure, given the primitive maps provided.

Since the current route takes the public through this 'sliver', one possibility is to simply continue that route, restricting the public to the roadway... much of the 'range', in that area, is not fenced anyway. Any 'public access' to trail heads in the new Alamo Expansion, could also continue, again, restricted to the roadway.

If that is not acceptable, without fully understanding the actual expansion location and without actually looking at topo maps,all I can offer is simply re-routing Alamo Road around the 'new' eastern edge of the post-Alamo Expansion 'range'... I don't think it would take much more than a bulldozer and a grader and a few days work... but, I'm no expert.

The public portion of the DNWR is already wilderness, with the exception of the currently approved roads... we can only drive on the approved roads, but we can hike and camp ("leave no trace") almost anywhere.

This newspaper article includes DNWR management names and also some of their concerns.

Questions abound on Air Force’s bid for more Desert National Wildlife Refuge land

There are many people who take advantage of this public access... I just don't know how many are actually voicing their concerns...

Thank you for your help on this, Tom!!

Danny

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM, SNDO_NTTR_Withdrawal, BLM_NV <blm_nv_sndo_nttr_withdrawal@blm.gov> wrote:
Danny,

I will work with the Air Force and their EIS Contractor to develop a map with more detail. Are your referenced land marks all springs or other features? I am still learning the country so any assistance you may be able to provide would be appreciated. I am looking at 1:100,000 scale maps to start.

If you have any ideas for potential road modifications please let us know. At this time as I understand, nearly all of the refuge is proposed wilderness so any road potential modifications would be contingent upon a modification of the proposed wilderness.

This week there will be public scoping meetings at Caliente (Tue), Alamo (Wed), and North Las Vegas at the Aliante Hotel on Thursday if you would like participate. They are scheduled to start at with and open house format at 1700, followed by a presentation of the proposal at 1830, with a return to an open house format until 2100.

Thank you Tom!

I appreciate you listening and considering my concerns!

Have a great day!!

Danny Staggs

On Oct 14, 2016, at 5:58 AM, Thomas Seley <tseley@blm.gov> wrote:

Danny,

When I return to the office in Las Vegas I am going to look at more
detailed maps of the Alamo road area so I have a much better
understanding of the area. Then an actual site visit with FWS staff
so I have the information I need to effectively discuss options you
have provided.

Will also discuss your comment regarding construction of a new
connector if this proposed expansion area is authorized by Congress.
If you think of anything else before the comment period ends on 10 Dec
please send them in so we can prepare the most effective document
possible.

Have a great day.

Tom Seley

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2016, at 11:21 PM, Danny <pngunme@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you Tom!

As a long retired Air Force SMSgt., I am fully cognizant of the expanding training needs of the modern Air Force.

I have no doubt the drawback is desperately needed. But, I would hope the needs of the public would be weighed equally.

It seems, to me, that, with all the thousands of acres, the need for an additional 227k acres could be accommodated without eliminating public use of the full length of Alamo Road and restricting public access to the northern end of the refuge, from the Visiter Center.

I can't tell from the map, just exactly where the 'Alamo Road' expansion is located. But, I can tell you, the DNWR is a wonderful, diverse environment... I have driven the full length of Alamo Road numerous times and I always see something new and experience something different.

I love sitting in the dark at Sheep Pass, talking to my dogs and watching the stars twinkling in the sky. The complete quiet and utter solitude is phenomenal and should actually be experienced by everyone.

The remoteness of Cabin Springs is invigorating... The knowledge that my dogs and I are so completely alone is empowering.

The hike up Deadman Canyon, through the various ecosystems is educational and the knowledge that you can camp at Hidden Springs, about 9k', just outside of Vegas is something that would be sorely missed by many, many people.

Perching high on a ledge above Cow Camp presents an opportunity to observe and photograph wildlife and the enormously distant vistas of the Spring Mountains.

While you will seldom see rush hour traffic on Alamo Road, rest assured, there are many of us who use it frequently.

If the Air Force really requires this exact 227k acre 'Alamo Expansion', please be sure this drawback includes cutting a new Alamo Road route, around the new boundary.

The Refuge management will need full access to the acreage under their purview... And the public deserves the continuation of public access.

Thank you!

Danny Staggs

On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:13 AM, Thomas Seley <tseley@blm.gov> wrote:

Good Morning Danny,

The current proposal as I understand for the proposed Alamo expansion
area would close the Alamo road. However, as stated last night, the
public scoping meetings are to obtain comments/concerns/issues that
the Air Force will consider in their analysis. Nothing is set in
stone so it's very important to add any comments you may think of
through out the scoping period.

I have included the Air Force Project Manager, the LEIS Project
Manager and the NTTR on this response. They may have additional
information.

We appreciate your comments and participation in the process. It
helps focus the analysis and potential modification to alternatives
may be made after consideration of all factors.

Tom Seley

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Danny <pngunme@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings,

I've submitted comments to the NTTR... But, am still trying to determine the following:

If the drawback proceeds, as requested by DAF:
1. Will the current Alamo Road route remain open to the public?
2. Will Alamo Road be re-routed around the Alamo Exansion?

Bottom line, I'd like to ensure the public retains access to the north end of the refuge and the various trails, without having to drive all the way up US93 to Alamo and turning south on Alamo Road.

I frequently drive, hike, climb and camp the refuge and would definitely gate to lose southern access to the northern half.

Example: Camping Cabin Springs is a long excursion... Elimination of Alamo a Road access, from the south, would require an approximate doubling of driving distance.

In my comments, also requested a map that better portrays the proposed Alamo Expansion... e.g. With landmarks, like Hidden Springs, White Rock, Cow Camp, etc.

Thank you!

Danny Staggs

Any information you can provide, would be greatly appreciated!

--
Tom Seley
NTTR Withdrawal Project Manager
(702) 515-5293

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom