Largest Toyo AT3 to fit on stock LC and LX wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at upgrading tires to Toyo AT3's. I have stock LX rims now, but there is a set of LC rims I can get for $400, so considering going down in size at the same time.

What's the largest without modification that can fit in both the 20 and 18 rims? Still torn on if I should go down to 18s.

Thanks!

Last edited:
44x18.50

I'm looking at upgrading tires to Toyo AT3's. I have stock LX rims now, but there is a set of LC rims I can get for $400, so considering going down in size at the same time.

What's the largest without modification that can fit in both the 20 and 18 rims? Still torn on if I should go down to 18s.

Thanks!

What do you consider a modification? Slap it on and go without any rub? Plastic trimming?

Wheel diameter doesn't really matter, it's going to be the overall dimensions, diameter and width, you'll want to pay attention to. As well as offset as that's critical.

A 32.7" spec overall diameter tire, 285 width, is generally about the drop in limit with some additional margin depending on tire model, alignment, offsets. If you don't mind trimming some plastics, larger 32.3" and wider 12" are both possible. Offsets between +35 and +50 would be ideal.

Thanks!
275/70 18 will fit without rubbing. Anything bigger than that (especially wider) and you'll start to get some. Just depends on your tolerance for cutting things off and molding with a heat gun.

275/70 18 will fit without rubbing. Anything bigger than that (especially wider) and you'll start to get some. Just depends on your tolerance for cutting things off and molding with a heat gun.

My Toyo AT3 275/70R18 on factory wheels rub. Nothing serious but it's there. I haven't taken the time to identify where exactly, but I notice it most while turning in reverse.

My Toyo AT3 275/70R18 on factory wheels rub. Nothing serious but it's there. I haven't taken the time to identify where exactly, but I notice it most while turning in reverse.
That's so strange how some people have rubbing and some don't. I have the exact same tire/wheel combo you do (275/70 18 AT3s on stock wheels on 2021 LC) and don't have any rubbing. It rubbed once (very minor) on the driver's side at full right lock in reverse. But only did it the one time that I have noticed.

That's so strange how some people have rubbing and some don't. I have the exact same tire/wheel combo you do (275/70 18 AT3s on stock wheels on 2021 LC) and don't have any rubbing. It rubbed once (very minor) on the driver's side at full right lock in reverse. But only did it the one time that I have noticed.

Very minor differences in alignment can contribute to this. And it doesn't take much. Also, it is unlikely that the scenarios are exactly the same. Slight differences in terrain can also play a role. (ie Your driveway may slope differently than his).

What do you consider a modification? Slap it on and go without any rub? Plastic trimming?

Wheel diameter doesn't really matter, it's going to be the overall dimensions, diameter and width, you'll want to pay attention to. As well as offset as that's critical.

A 32.7" spec overall diameter tire, 285 width, is generally about the drop in limit with some additional margin depending on tire model, alignment, offsets. If you don't mind trimming some plastics, larger 32.3" and wider 12" are both possible. Offsets between +35 and +50 would be ideal.
Thanks for the insights. As you know, I plan on towing as well, so looking to strike the right balance.

I’m an idiot in the tire/wheel realm to be honest so hoping to not screw anything up LOL. I’m not afraid of slight modification if it warrants a big gain in performance though.

305/65/18
295/70/18
You have a LX570 so about 10 minutes adjusting the sensors, you can fit those largest sizes above.

Thanks for the insights. As you know, I plan on towing as well, so looking to strike the right balance.

I’m an idiot in the tire/wheel realm to be honest so hoping to not screw anything up LOL. I’m not afraid of slight modification if it warrants a big gain in performance though.

It's all good and we're here to share.

What size and weight trailer are we talking about towing? How much and how serious of off-roading are you talking about? There may be good reasons to stick with 20s.

Last edited:
It's all good and we're hear to share.

What size and weight trailer are we talking about towing? How much and how serious of off-roading are you talking about? There may be good reasons to stick with 20s.
So the trailer hasn't been finalized yet, but the current one I'm looking at is under 7k (6995 lbs) and 504 hitch weight (I messaged you about this couple weeks ago). As far as use case, its to take road trips, get out doors and get out of the Phoenix heat in the summer. I'm not planning on doing intense off-roading, more decent trails and disperse camping and occasional fun in Sedona area. WIth the stock tires, I was deathly afraid of the sharp rocks on a few of the trails I've been on so far. Freeway safety is a concern for us above all.

I just ordered my tires for my LX on 18 inch Tundra wheels. The AT3 in a 275/70r18, so I will know for me in about a week. I hope the spare fits as well.

So the trailer hasn't been finalized yet, but the current one I'm looking at is under 7k (6995 lbs) and 504 hitch weight (I messaged you about this couple weeks ago). As far as use case, its to take road trips, get out doors and get out of the Phoenix heat in the summer. I'm not planning on doing intense off-roading, more decent trails and disperse camping and occasional fun in Sedona area. WIth the stock tires, I was deathly afraid of the sharp rocks on a few of the trails I've been on so far. Freeway safety is a concern for us above all.

Ah, yes. That's on the upper end so that may be a reason to stick with 20s for more stable towing performance. Not that it can't be done with 18s. I would caution going too big on tire diameter unless you're ready to tackle some of the other things, namely brakes and gearing for towing, for a 6-speed 200-series.

Some good easy sizes out there. I'm a big proponent of maintaining all dimensions at least or better than stock.
295/55R20 (32.8")
285/55R20 (32.4")
285/65R18 (32.6")

I just ordered my tires for my LX on 18 inch Tundra wheels. The AT3 in a 275/70r18, so I will know for me in about a week. I hope the spare fits as well.
Spare will fit fine. I had a 275/65r20 (34.1") fit without mods.

If free way safety is the concern, I wouldn’t run a larger than 32.8ish tall tire and I wouldn’t do a sensor lift. The truck was designed around those parameters...lifting it and putting taller tires affects how it’s going to respond in emergency cornering/handling situations.

LT295/55/R20 installing tomorrow! Thanks all for the recommendations. I think this is a good balance for my use case.

LT295/55/R20 installing tomorrow! Thanks all for the recommendations. I think this is a good balance for my use case.
Will those fit on the stock Lexus wheels? If so that’ll be my next set of tires. Perfect size.

I’ve currently got 275 60 r20. No complaints but I’d prefer a 295 if I could get away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom