larger tires odometer reading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put some 20" tundra wheels/tires on my LX470 275/55-20 which is just slightly larger diameter, and I had researched on here about the odometer and the consensus is that the speedometer was smart enough to adjust correctly to the tire size. I checked using my car GPS which tells me my real speed, as well as waze on my phone and the speedometer is not adjusting automatically. When I get above 50mph the speedometer starts to trail by about 1-2mph and then at ~90mph it trails by over 5mph. Are you all sure the speedometer is supposed to auto adjust to tire size difference?

It does not auto adjust for speed. If you search here for Speedo Correction devices you will see there are a few devices that will allow you to adjust depending on tire size to make you speedometer correct again. I haven't worried about it and just remember that I am a few MPH off and carry on!

I don't know where you found that consensus that the speedometer was smart enough to auto adjust, but either you misunderstood, or they were wrong.

You can figure out how far off your speedometer is and compensate for it, or you can purchase a box that corrects the signal.

If you want to correct the signal, this box seems reasonably priced and works well:
Yellowbox Speedometer Correction Install

Thanks I'll try out the yellow box. I think the thread everyone talked about the speedometer auto adjusts was actually for fj cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom