Landshark Reef recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
For the DIY'ers out there: I just got my Landshark Reef drawer system, and highly recommend it.

Once they were back in stock, they shipped quickly (flat packed like IKEA). They were well packaged and padded.

I bought two drawers, so got two boxes. If you do the same, be sure to open both boxes before starting. In my case the second box had the instructions.

Assembly is straightforward and logical. Make sure to read the instructions all the way through first, especially if you are doing two drawers (the base plate and top go in differently if you do two drawers).

The only tip I'd offer that isn't immediately obvious, is that the drawer fronts are flush with the front of the face, so the aluminum corner extrusions need to be spaced back approx. 1/2".

These are truly a DIY option and leave finishing to the installer. As delivered, they make a terrific base for a drawer system. You can let your creativity sort out how you finish them!

I'll do something more finished this summer, but for now I just covered them with a moving blanket.

CC724B27-6753-42D0-8871-742034523B5F.jpeg

655063FA-5DD4-4EF9-8759-3AC6A664E4C1.jpeg

I installed my wing kit today. Not breaking any new ground, but I feel good about it. I didn't have the patience to wait for the 200 fit kit, so I got the universal one, made some cardboard templates, and got out the jigsaw and orbital sander.

925B91CE-EF35-4C2A-9171-C467D63CC2E7.jpeg

AEF603F4-2D1A-4581-9BBF-018FE2B64249.jpeg

EF53FD27-4870-4513-A49B-84935779C927.jpeg

A28732AF-9A64-41D5-BDB2-2A050ED29A3C.jpeg

Dave is one step ahead of me all the time. He's thought ahead and planned for the little details, like the prepositioned pilot holes for the hinges in both the drawers and the wings.

56AF34CA-6D9B-4AB7-B13F-67920D9F3A39.jpeg

Now I need to decide how to finish them.

Somehow I had forgotten about these so thanks for the reminder.. Lol. They'd look good with some black stain but I'm not sure if I'd leave them unsealed and just stained or put some kind of clear coat on them.

Btw... What kind of tail gate mod is that?

The tailgate storage lid is a Trail Tailor.

Maybe I just missed it on the website ... But is it just the one listed for the LC100? Or is there a 200 specific one
There is a 200 specific version. You can call or email Jason at the contact on the Trail Tailor website, or try a private message on 'mud - @TRAIL TAILOR . I worked with him through 'mud private message on this purchase. He had it in stock and it went out first thing the next day.

Here is a thread about the install that I posted: Trail Tailor storage lid install

There is a 200 specific version. You can call or email Jason at the contact on the Trail Tailor website, or try a private message on 'mud - @TRAIL TAILOR . I worked with him through 'mud private message on this purchase. He had it in stock and it went out first thing the next day.

Here is a thread about the install that I posted: Trail Tailor storage lid install

Awesome, thanks!

@CharlieS Did you mount the anchor plates? They were out of 200 specific ones so I just got the bar stock (universal). Would love any beta you have on the hole locations for the floor mount. Also no wing kits in stock, I've got a hardware solution, but what is the 'blank' size, particularly interested in the width (thinking of using some extra fencing I've got sitting around.

The blanks are 10"x40", but the maximum width of my cutouts was 8".

BE9079A2-F6DD-483E-AFAE-FB9D3A35E915.jpeg

It kind of surprised me, but they are mirror image... I expected some variation, but nope.

I don't have anchor plates. I am using the short ratchet straps. I rotated the rearmost factory tie downs 90 degrees and hooked into them.
16DB9EE1-9518-4653-8EFE-D5AA5BBAB215.jpeg

I think I will bend up some anchors to the wheel wells eventually, but it seems well anchored like this. I can't recall where I snagged the picture below, but this is the idea I want to replicate.

7379E9CF-DEEB-4224-B2A8-42F7A04D4FCA.png

there is also this one on the inside:
77FF1861-092B-4DFD-83E5-2B6FB827DCBB.png

Hey, @CharlieS, how are you liking these drawers? I keep thinking I could just DYI a drawer system from scratch but this looks like maybe a better idea for me.

Hey, @CharlieS, how are you liking these drawers? I keep thinking I could just DYI a drawer system from scratch but this looks like maybe a better idea for me.
I am happy with them for the price.

Keep in mind, these aren't marketed as a finished product, they're a "customize it yourself" project. Basic assembly is quick, easy, and everything fits perfectly.

Dave has spent a lot of time making these very user friendly and a great baseline to build from. Everything is perfect CAD designed, no guesswork. They leave you off at a place where you can use them as is, or continue to customize to your hearts content.

The only thing I'd change is to modify the crossbars that support the wings (they create an obstacle inside, so taller items can snag on them). Dave offers upgraded metal support bars, and as I understand it, is working on an even better solution.

Also, if you are a cabinet maker, or have great woodworking skills, you could probably build something similar without much trouble. I don't have those skills, so the reef were a great way for me to get into a base system that I could tweak.

I've built basic storage boxes before for a former 80 series, and while they were functional, my workmanship paled in compared to these.

That being said, if I could swing the expense, I'd love to have a Trekboxx setup. It's a bit like comparing a 911 to a Camry though - of course it is going to be a better finished and higher performance product for the price differential. They both get the job done though.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah, I’d like a Trekboxx system too if budget was no concern. I think I could build something similar but this looks like a good way split the difference and get something into the truck relatively quickly that I can modify over time.

I agree with pretty much everything Charlie said. If you have the skills and time you could build something just as good for a little less money. I am happy with my reef setup, it's strong, functional, customizable and easy to assemble. The Air Down Gear Up SS1 setup is another system I'd also consider it I had to buy again.

I believe the Landshark Reef system has a one to two month wait-list at the moment since it is a one guy operation and side business.

It looks like the drawer slides used would not allow the drawer to be fully pulled out into a fully cantilevered position with weight in the drawer. Do the drawers when pulled out end up resting on the open tailgate?

It looks like the drawer slides used would not allow the drawer to be fully pulled out into a fully cantilevered position with weight in the drawer. Do the drawers when pulled out end up resting on the open tailgate?
Yes, a drawback and they also don't look like they lock open which is a problem if you need to access while the nose is pointing down hill. All in all a good option for $1,200 nicely accessorized. That's about what I spent on my custom project. I am including an air compressor, electrical wiring, full HD drawer slides and Raptor Liner finish in my price, but I had to source the materials and do the work myself.

There is no mechanism preventing the drawers from sliding back and out. You can open the drawers nearly all the way to access items at the back. The bulk of the drawer is supported by the lower hatch, and there are aluminum extrusions that prevent the drawer from tipping out.

But, you could easily add stops to prevent the drawers from coming out. It is all up to individual customization, rather than an out of the box finished solution.

Last edited:
I have a single Reef. It's fine. I think @CharlieS has summarized pretty good the down low on it. It's very light, sturdy, and a quick afternoon project. It would totally be cheaper to buy a sheet of ply, carve it up for a cabinet and drawer, and build it. It would also take some time, and of course you'd have to have the knowledge and tools. For me I was pretty curious how it was put together, and wouldn't have much trouble creating my own matching 'expansion' if I want a second drawer (or more likely a cubby) but I don't think it's overpriced at all for what you get.
I built a custom wing, and that process wasn't hard, just time consuming.
It doesn't have every single feature, but there isn't anything preventing one from adding their own. For example, if you feel you need an open stop, one could easily be added in several different ways, for $10 or less in hardware and materials. It won't be as fancy as what you'd get from an all-in-one metal drawer, but it'll work. I have found the drawer is not prone to movement after opening, but I haven't tried to open on a very steep hill yet.

Yes, a drawback and they also don't look like they lock open which is a problem if you need to access while the nose is pointing down hill. All in all a good option for $1,200 nicely accessorized. That's about what I spent on my custom project. I am including an air compressor, electrical wiring, full HD drawer slides and Raptor Liner finish in my price, but I had to source the materials and do the work myself.
Thanks. How much Raptor Liner did it take? Did you just roll it on?

Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere, but I haven't seen it... what exactly is included and left for the consumer to buy/build? It looks like the pieces are pre-cut and hardware is included? But, the wood is unfinished, and things like drawers pulls, drawer stops, are not included? Is the wood rough cut (edges not sanded smooth)?

The reason I ask - I don't have a driveway or garage, and have very limited space in my basement to do wood projects. I'm fine with drilling and limited cutting, but doing a lot of sanding or routing (and the resultant saw dust) is going to make SWMBO angry.

it is complete and the wood has no stain or finish. it is precision cut. stop and handle included. you do need an anchor solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom