[Landcruiser Terminology] for those dumb like me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
This is for those ih8mud and landcruiser specific terms. Feel free to add or correct anything I got wrong here.

Glossary of terms.

12ht - 6 cylinder diesel motor, direct injected, inline injection pump and gear timing. It’s the only engine that if you say you have one you won’t get criticized. If you have one you’re golden; if you don’t you want one.

13bt - basically a 3b motor that Toyota added a turbo too to try to help it keep up with traffic.

2f - a 6 cylinder gas motor that some how uses as much gas as a v8 with half the power.

2h - 6 cylinder diesel motor (according to one person the greatest engine ever)

3b - the second slowest motor Toyota ever built.

40 - 40 series landcruiser the best looking one.

45 - longer wheelbase 40 either pickup or troopie.

4runner - 2/3 to scale 60 series landcruiser.

60 - 60 series landcruiser bread and butter of the overlanders.

70 - 70 series landcruiser the last of the good ones.

80 - 80 series landcruiser when landcruisers started to look like everything else on the road.

Ball and claw - old style Toyota birfield, little known fact also a sex move.

Bezel - headlight surround a Toyota factory fashion accessory. and for the 40’s 50% of the time it’s upside down all the time.

BFH - big f’in hammer, bedroom talk at my place.

BIRF - Abbreviation of a component resembling a CV Jointcommon to pre '86 Toyota Solid Front Axles. Proper form: Birfield. A notorious weak link, often upgraded to Smurfields, Profields, etc, or replaced entirely with a Birfield Eliminator Kit.
Damnit, I just blew a birf! Anyone have a spare?

Bj - if you don’t know you can’t afford it.

Cog - center of gravity, cruisers don’t have one N/A

Comp cut - when you’re cruiser rusts out its no longer streetable so you cut off all of the fenders. put on the biggest tires you can get your hands on and go give it a proper death in the woods.

Course spline axle - Its the only axle you can find when you break your fine spline while doing something stupid on the trail.

Cruiser lean - mostly a 40 series phenomenon. either ( and in my case ) the body mounts rusted away and no longer support one side of the body anymore or you have uneven spring heights.

cruiserpeneur - when someone who has never owned a land cruiser, is soliciting for ideas on how to make money flipping them. Loosely related to SOR, but not necessarily SOR.

Death wobble - when the front end tries to shake its self to peices.

Double cardan - so manny u-joints... good fun to rebuild.

Drag link - the part of the steering linkage that if you don’t do maintenance on falls off and drags on the pavement as you head for the ditch with no steering.

FF - full floating axle (should have had replaceable spindles.)

Fj - designation meaning 6 cylinder gas motor.

Fst - factory soft top.

H41 - 4 speed early transmission with a lower first gear

H42 4 speed transmission that came after the h41.

H55 - 5 speed transmission (if god were to half ass a fifth gear on a h41)

Hj - designation meaning a 6 cylinder diesel or something your first girlfriend gave you in high school.

IFS - independent front suspension, frowned apon by people with solid axles.

ISO - in search of. Someone is looking to buy one of those cruiser parts you are hoarding.

IH8mud - you should know this one by now, how did you even get here!?

IMHO - in my humble opinion??? Lots of opinions on here not manny of them humble.

Iron pig - 55 series landcruiser the rustiest of all the landcruisers and weirdest looking.

Jump seat - the back seats of the 40 series called a jump seat because on every bump the roll bar jumps into your spine where it attaches to your skull.

OEM - original equipment manufacturer

OME - old man emu usually used when talking about a new leaf spring kit.

Overlanding - when you add 2000 pounds of every accessory money can buy to your already heavy truck.

Pm - preventive maintenance, private message or post mortem

Po - someone to blame all your shoddy workmanship on

Prado - are we sure that’s even a landcruiser? not a Mitsubishi pajero with landcruiser badging.

Pto winch - a winch powered by the motor so when you put your cruiser on it’s side and really need it you can’t use it.

SF - semi floating axle or single female, I’m not sure about this one yet.

Soa - spring over axle, a mod done to raise your centre of gravity making it easier to roll on small obstacles thus putting on a good show

Sor - or sometimes $or the second most expensive place for cruiser parts, second only to Toyota.

Sua - spring under axle, properly pronounced “sue ah”

Split case - trasfer case that to remove it, it needs to be split in two.

Split rim - There is a terminology and resulting misunderstanding problem with this type of wheel. The Toyota type with a wheel and a removable lock ring are classified as "multi-piece wheel" by the US DOT and OSHA. They are NOT classified as "split rims" by the DOT.

Tcase - trasfer case that thing behind the transmission.

Three speed tcase - refers to the transfer case that was in early 40 series that attached to the three speed transmission, desirable because of the low gearing.

Trunnion - I don’t know but it sounds delicious.

Wheeling - when you go out 4x4ing have too manny beers put your cruiser on it’s side and the wheels spin in the air

Last edited:
jump seat, the back seats of the 40 series called a jump seat because on every bump the roll bar jumps into your spine where it attaches to your skull.

2H - 6 cylinder diesel (The greatest engine ever)
H55 - 5 speed manual transmission (if god were to design a transmission)

I think a 5 speed that was designed from scratch, rather than scabbed together with spare parts would have gears that were spaced more evenly and a 5th gear you wouldn't be afraid to tow or accelerate up hills with.

But then, you're attributing this to a an entity that also considers external genitalia to be a good idea.

BIRF -
Abbreviation of a component resembling a CV Joint common to pre '86 Toyota Solid Front Axles. Proper form: Birfield. A notorious weak link, often upgraded to Smurfields, Profields, etc, or replaced entirely with a Birfield Eliminator Kit.
Damnit, I just blew a birf! Anyone have a spare?

How did I not have birfield! Good call.

Good call. Any ideas? I have never owned one. Added in as what I know of them.

Mechanically direct injected with gear drives. Mechanical inline injector pump. It’s the only engine that if you say you have one you won’t get criticized.
If you have one you’re golden; if you don’t you want one
Close enough?

I’m not sure in this instance it does.

DE001586-C149-457C-9F31-BF043B062075.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom