Lame Tech: Water in Rocker Panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would not mess with the dealer on the sunroof issue. I spoke with mine and it was obvious they did not know SH_T!!  I looked in the phone book for an aftermarket leather/ sunroof shop who were most helpful.  

The manual has wiring diagrams for sunroof which might help. I can send them to you if needed.

What was wrong and what did you ask them to do? The challenge is that I know it's one of the components (eg engine, relay, etc) and all of the parts are up in the headliner. I do have the FSM, I guess I could poke around a bit with a digital multi-meter, butt...

Hugh,

&nbsp:Does the roof not open at all? There are 2 fuses in the circuit. Grab your FSM and start there for grins......Maybe you'll get lucky.........Dan

Hugh,

Does the roof not open at all? There are 2 fuses in the circuit. Grab your FSM and start there for grins......Maybe you'll get lucky.........Dan

This was last summer so I may not remember correctly and the FSM is in the truck - don't the two fuses control other things? If so, I seem to recall that all of those other things were working...

Cheers, Hugh

Non-80 :ugh:

Hugh ,

We're not too overboard here . 3 main questions I ask ... been to Hong Kong? Been to the Toronto area ? Been exposed to someone with SARS ? Every pt get O2 mask or N95 , and we always wear them . Of course right out of the gate this morning , with my first pt I had to get out my goggles , mask , gloves and ... gown ( no purple or fushia gowns ; I know Junk/Beo .. a shame , a shame :tear: :tear: :'( :flipoff2: ) .

No biggie . The thing that sucks is I took a block off so I'd have 12 days in mid April to hit the Toronto area to visit family . Now it's probably a no-go :-[

Can't recall .. you in BC or TO Hugh ?

Tyler

BUMP! Here's a nice fall season reminder for those of use in cooler climes. We had some rain today and on the drive home from work I noticed the tell-tale sloshing sound coming from under my seat. I got home and started poking around with a ziptie and sure enough Niagara Falls on my arm! I would really hate to think what would happen to a rocker panel full of water if the temperature dropped below freezing for a while :eek:

And now the how to:
The sunroof front drains empty into the rocker panels. there is one small drain in the pinchweld about 13 inches from the front of the rocker, in the bottom of the pinchweld. you can see it on the backside if you crawl under the vehicle. It's quite small, look hard. They are plugged up with dust that has turned to mud. The best way that I have found to clear them is with a large zip tie. Stick the pointy end up thru the hole and push the tie in and out of the drain several times. The debris will come out better if the rocker has some water in it.

If you pulled the plug and emptied the rocker, put it back in. Remove the front door sill plate and you will find a hole that you can use to fill the rocker up with water. I know this sounds crazy but a bunch of water will flush the crap out of the rocker. Fill the rocker up and give it a ream job with the zip tie. Do both rockers. You should regularly monitor them to make sure that water is not collecting, especially during the rainy season. If You turn down Led Zepelin you will be able to hear a slosh on takeoff and braking. If so, it's time for the zip tie again.

My only addition is that there are actually 3 drain slits per side. One at the front, one in the middle and one at the rear. Check them all! There are also three big rubber plug on each side. I'd make sure you have all of these in place to keep dirt/gunk/snow out of there.

:cheers:

I just had the same problem, The zip tie trick worked for me. I was ready to believe that the water was part of a sophisticated weight distribution system. Thanks for the great tips, everyone on here has saved me a ton of time while I get to know my rig.

Zip Tie Trick works!

CruiserDan's zip tie trick worked perfectly to clear debris clogging the 3 rocker panel slit-drains along the pinch point. Indeed hard to see! That thing held about a gallon and a half of water! Thanks!

I was only able to find one drain slit in my 1990 HDJ81. It was on the left (passenger side) of the vehicle towards the front. I might be blind but that's the only one I could find. I could only hear water on that side of the vehicle too. Can anyone confirm the early JDM models may only drain to the one side of the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom