Lack of a locking differential :( (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember something like that. The Navigator beat it. :D

It won in Four Wheeler of the Year...something the 80 ever did which is just dumb.

It was the top pick in testing Luxury SUV's in Cons Reports for years. #1 reliable every year.

The LX470 was also a number one pick in C and D and edmunds. Finished 2nd behind Range Rover in motor trend., that was all before 2004.

But, the 1998 C & D comparo was with some pathetic competition, leaf spring Escalade/Navigaotor and a very, very old Range Rover. By 2004 the competition surpased the LX and was new technology and platforms.

There is no need for a rear locker (or any locker for that matter) for any Land Cruiser headed to the NA market.

There really isn't.

And only ONE person exists who bought a new 200-Series who even knows what a locker is. :)

99% will never hit the CDL button on the dash though they all will ask what it is. :D

Hey! I have a rear locker and know how to use it! :)

Other than cost, which really is not the reason why. Can anyone give me a logical, well thought out answer as to why the Land Cruiser for NA lacks a rear locking differential?

Can't be because off KDSS = 4runner has both
Can't be because of A-Trac = Tacoma has both
Can't be because of crawl control = 4runner has both

The FJ, Tacoma and 4runner have it as an option. So does the 4.7/5speed Land Cruiser from overseas....why can't the US spec offer it? it makes sense for the Land Cruiser to have it, perhpas even the TRD Tundra

:please note I am not bashing or otherwise trying to start a fight.

I agree with you....I was just looking at the LC and expected the new ones to offer it as an option. Historically, the LC has been the ultimate on and off road vehicle. Nowadays the 4runner trail is off-road and the LC is the ultimate luxury/status symbol.

I love Toyota, own 2 off them, BUT ATLEAST OFFER IT AS AN OPTION ON A 80k "offroad" VEHICLE!!!

We have to buy mid-late 90's (with 150k+ miles on them)or miss out on factory lockers...

When using CRAWL in 4LO on the new Land Cruisers the Center Diff is locked and braking is modulated to each wheel independently to maximize traction. Further, when Turn Control is engaged, braking is applied to one rear wheel to decrease the turing radius.

Wouldn't locking Front and/or Rear Differentials interfere with the operation of these systems and result in WORSE offroad performance?

My take is that Front and Rear Locking Differentials are no longer offered on the LC200's with CRAWL because it is "old" technology - no longer required.

Just my 2 Yen ;)

I added front and rear E-Lockers to my 200 for two reasons:

1. They simply offer far superior performance in a real off-road situation to Atrac or crawl control (which I disable as soon as I get off the road)

2. With my 2" lifted 200 I don't want to put any more undue stress on the CV joints than I have to. They take a real hammering from the traction control systems firing the brakes against the mighty torque of our V8 diesel engines. Plenty of CV failures down here believe me and I am sure the overly aggressive Atrac system in the 200 is the central contributing cause.

3. In sand the loss of power and wheel spin stolen by the Atrac system can be a hinderance to momentum and traction control can rob the car of valuable wheel power. Just recently on a sand dune climb I was able to significantly out climb a 200 without lockers (he had centre lock only and Atac engaged). Other than that we had very similarly equipped 200s so the comparisons were valuble and meaningful. We even swapped cars to verify the experience. It was clear that the Atac system was robbing his 200 of all important power on the ground. Once he turned the Atrac and VSC systems off he was able to do far better but still not as well as me with rear and centre lockers engaged. Interestingly we also noted that a number of FJcruisers were also hampered by the inabilty to disengage their Atrac systems (apparentlyt FJ Cruisers cannot disengage Atrac in Low range -unlike the 200 which can - and even though they do have rear lockers as standard).

On tricky firm or slipery terrain I believe the Atrac and Crawl functions do far better but still no where near as well as real lockers.

Atrac and VSC operate by sensing differential wheel speed across an axle. With lockers engaged no differential is apparent so traction control system is never invoked. Interesting question re turn-assist function however. I guess you would have to turn the rear lockers off for it to work otherwise all you would do is drag both rear wheels around a bend.

I would whole heartedly agree that bloody lockers should come as standard with a +70k 200 as they do in the new 79 series Cruisers (don't think you boys get them up there sorry).

If you do a bit of serious off road travel and are considering lockers then I suggest you avoid air-lockers as they ARE old technology. On the weekend a friend suffered another case of oil in the air lines. Just my 2CW

Last edited:
[...] Can anyone give me a logical, well thought out answer as to why the Land Cruiser for NA lacks a rear locking differential?
[...]

Welcome back, pagemaster.

Why you ask this question? This is not a car for you, i remembering that you start to bash long time ago.. Be honest - you dont will ever drive this car ;)

But, i will answer your question.

For my Transafrica with the Land Cruiser 200 - i thought also - i will drive as single car - and i have to do everything, to recovery myself alone.

So i add ARB lockers in Front and Rear, add a Winch, a well sorted Recovery Kit, Maxtrax Sandladders, an ground anchor and an airbag lift kit.

I had to handle many bad roads on our way (20`500 kilometers), had too to use the winch.

I used the additional lockers severall times - when i see that there is a bad track area.

But - more often the situation gets bad unexpected - several times i thought afterwards, that the locals did some traps - to earn money for recovery.

And guess what saved our ass each time?

A-TRAC and the electrical helpers - then i had no time for switching the lockers on. The "beeps" are annoying - but it saved us severall times.

So if someone would do the same trip with the same car - and wants to save some bucks and asks me - what to leave out of my recovery stuff. I will point to the lockers.

If my car gets lost - i would again equip it with lockers - but more - for driving hard stuff without warning "beeps" - and not have to read the manual - as when i think i be able to drive one meter further than without.

Surfy

Great post, Surfy.

And also kudos for recognizing 084runnerltd is the latest incarnation of the pathetic, bicycle riding, mother's basement dwelling pagemaster.

Welcome back, pagemaster.

Why you ask this question? This is not a car for you, i remembering that you start to bash long time ago.. Be honest - you dont will ever drive this car ;)

But, i will answer your question.

For my Transafrica with the Land Cruiser 200 - i thought also - i will drive as single car - and i have to do everything, to recovery myself alone.

So i add ARB lockers in Front and Rear, add a Winch, a well sorted Recovery Kit, Maxtrax Sandladders, an ground anchor and an airbag lift kit.

I had to handle many bad roads on our way (20`500 kilometers), had too to use the winch.

I used the additional lockers severall times - when i see that there is a bad track area.

But - more often the situation gets bad unexpected - several times i thought afterwards, that the locals did some traps - to earn money for recovery.

And guess what saved our ass each time?

A-TRAC and the electrical helpers - then i had no time for switching the lockers on. The "beeps" are annoying - but it saved us severall times.

So if someone would do the same trip with the same car - and wants to save some bucks and asks me - what to leave out of my recovery stuff. I will point to the lockers.

If my car gets lost - i would again equip it with lockers - but more - for driving hard stuff without warning "beeps" - and not have to read the manual - as when i think i be able to drive one meter further than without.

Surfy

Great post, Surfy.

And also kudos for recognizing 084runnerltd is the latest incarnation of the pathetic, bicycle riding, mother's basement dwelling pagemaster.

Wow, sorry to agitate you Carl...just giving my opinion.

I have taken notes and will be buying a bicycle, calling my parents (so I can live in their basement) and hang with you, so I can be more "pathetic."

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

The 200 most likely didn't get the rear locker option in NA because the engineers at Toyota figured you didn't need it to cruise the mall or pick the kids up from soccer practice.

The 200 most likely didn't get the rear locker option in NA because the engineers at Toyota figured you didn't need it to cruise the mall or pick the kids up from soccer practice.

^ THIS!!

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I think it's funny when you see a woman driving something like a Range Rover or say an LR4 around town. My point is. Those cars pack so many off road gadgets and technology like cameras around the car so you can see where the rocks are underneath the car. And the fancy Terrain Response stuff. Yet none of that stuff ever gets touched. The only reason they are driving it is to show their status, and to get to and from the mall.

At least that's what I notice here in North America

I suspect you are right. But whats funny about that? Afterall, they all start off new.

Even your ~twenty year old 80 series was somebody's new dream toy once upon a time. I had a new 80 once myself (loved it to bits) but never once used it as God intended.

I'm making up for that ommission in spades now however.

Even your ~twenty year old 80 series was somebody's new dream toy once upon a time. I had a new 80 once myself (loved it to bits) but never once used it as God intended.
Exactly. With every new generation of LC (or RR, or whatever) the previous gen owners get up in arms over the added weight, more features, and the diluting of the product. It was said when the 80-series came out, the 100, the 200, and will continue until the end of time.

Luckily the previous generation owners didn't have to read every dumb-ass comment on the internet about it. In ten or twenty years there will be 200-series owners chastising the newest Land Cruiser how it's nothing more than a bloated, uni-body Mall Cruiser. :rolleyes:

Exactly. With every new generation of LC (or RR, or whatever) the previous gen owners get up in arms over the added weight, more features, and the diluting of the product. It was said when the 80-series came out, the 100, the 200, and will continue until the end of time.

Luckily the previous generation owners didn't have to read every dumb-ass comment on the internet about it. In ten or twenty years there will be 200-series owners chastising the newest Land Cruiser how it's nothing more than a bloated, uni-body Mall Cruiser. :rolleyes:

this is so true, i was reading all of this same stuff 10 years ago when I bought my 100 series...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom