KZJ78 won´t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi All,

newbie here from overseas, Austria.

I own a 1995 Prado KZJ78 since 2012 and went through a lot...

just now bad luck stroke again.

had the car sitting in driveway for four weeks, it´s still winter and cold temps around freezing point. car started at first turn! that´s just how it is supposed to be, altough i had to remove the preheater on the filter some time ago...but i usually don´t use it a lot during winter as I want to keep it away from salt as good as possible. just moved the car for about 50 meters.

same day, few hours later it won´t start again. it gets no fuel. engine turning strong but no fumes at all, nothing. it starts up with starting agent but dies right after.

when turning ignition on neither glow plug light or check engine light would turn on.

checked the following by now:

all fuses ok
took out ECU and checked electronic board for any signs of bad capacitors etc, looks very clean (did not do an actual electronics test)
glow plug relay working but no power to the rail

took out the two main relays of engine. both are working but there is only power on one loom. t
one is on a grey plug the other on a black plug.
switched the relais and both are klicking with ignition on if connected to the grey plug. on the black plug neither of them. so, what is this circuit, where does it come from?
I have found the wiring diagram but it doesn´t tell me the colours of plugs :)
any help appreciated.
thanks
Pete

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

After sitting for awhile, did you "prime" the fuel line?

There is a black rubber primer button above the fuel filter, push on it 10 to 15 times to draw fuel from the tank.

hi Joe, thanks, but for sure that has been checked. has been exhanged recently.
car started in the morning just fine.

problem is somewhere in the electronics on one main relay loom

did you check the starter and the starter relay?
when the engine doesn't start, the starter does click?
perhaps, the glow plugs are too old too

fusible links? the two off the battery, one could be crook?you cant tell by looking at them either
engine does turn, starter works
glow plug relay is ok but not not powered
putting current on gow plug rail does not help
there is just no fuel to the injectors like pump is not getting impulse
the fuses on battery checked and found ok

as said, glow plug light and ecl not lit when ignition on

engine does turn, starter works
glow plug relay is ok but not not powered
putting current on gow plug rail does not help
there is just no fuel to the injectors like pump is not getting impulse
the fuses on battery checked and found ok

as said, glow plug light and ecl not lit when ignition on

Maybe pull ECU codes? See 1KZTE manual on how to do this. Maybe there is a problem with the ECU or spill valve solenoid. I uploaded the manual for you:

Last edited:
i would try this just to see
engine start (ether) down the intake to see if it fires- it definitely should fire on engine start and maybe this will help clear any air locks in the diesel(its pretty rough so go easy on the engine start)
using the factory relay use a push button switch and bypass the whole glow plug system so that its manual- my glowplug system died all together and I just bypassed it while retaining all the factory relay stuff
Oh and the prime pump should be super hard to pump, even after sitting, this could be an issue as well

wow guys, many thanks for the many replies.

many thanks for the repair book, will check trouble shooting.

we have already tried starting agent and it sure fired up but died instantly when releasing the spray button.
the diesel primer is almost new, diesel filter changed only few weeks ago. i have exchanged the diesel primer to a super strong aftermarket pump used on dumpers/tractors. you can hear the diesel flushing through the hoses and return pipe, it´s all good and there.

we have also tried bypassing the glow plug relay and power to the rail directly but there is just no diesel to heat up. as said, engine cranking strong but NO SMOKE at all, no uncombusted fuel. the glow plug bypass by pushbutton I´ve seen with a friend of mine, works a treat, will see if this will be necessary. still think there is just one connecting issue that refrains efi pump impusles and glow system.

I have also downloaded the wiring diagrams in japanese :) have a professional car mechanic by my side trying to solve the mercury puzzle.

short update, didn´t have much time today
checked the diagnosis but doesn´t show anything as check engine light is dead

wonder where else there might be fuses??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom