Koyorad owners need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found my radiator is leaking from the top seams. This is after I treated my radiator thermocure and flushed with distilled water (removed old debris causing it to leak?). Anyways, looking for a new radiator. Was initially looking to get oem but cheapest I could find is $428 plus tax and ship. Koyorad around $180.

To current/previous koyorad owners, how is it or how did it hold up? Oem justifiable for 100% increase in price? Also, which clutch fan should I upgrade it?

thank you

I'm about seven months in with no issues at all. As far as the OEM being worth the extra coin, definitely. But with how many PM items I had on my list I needed to pick and choose where to save money and the radiator was one of them. But based on the reviews of the koyo I think it's a good decision. The only thing is they started making them in China maybe a year or two ago. So we'll see how the quality truly is but we're the lab rates. As far as the fan clutch goes, check out the blue fan clutch from wits end. I pre-ordered mine last week. They're projected to be available this week I believe.

I'm about seven months in with no issues at all. As far as the OEM being worth the extra coin, definitely. But with how many PM items I had on my list I needed to pick and choose where to save money and the radiator was one of them. But based on the reviews of the koyo I think it's a good decision. The only thing is they started making them in China maybe a year or two ago. So we'll see how the quality truly is but we're the lab rates. As far as the fan clutch goes, check out the blue fan clutch from wits end. I pre-ordered mine last week. They're projected to be available this week I believe.

is there to tell if my fan clutch is bad or going bad? My ac hasn’t been as cool as normal

I have about a year on a koyo radiator. 0 issues and keeps the engine cool when towing, works great. Price was under $200 and it fit identical to the OEM radiator.

A weak fan clutch can definitely cause AC issues. I had about 225K on mine when replaced. It had little to no resistance when spinning by hand.

If you don't hear the fan roar to life when starting in the morning, it is probibaly weak / due for replacement. It will help with AC and cooling, good thing to do since you are replacing the radiator.

I went with the standard blue hub fan clutch (amazon), some folks modify the blue hub clutch for better performance - search that if interested.

I have a little more than a year on my koto rad. So far its just fine. Temps low, fit just like oem. I replaced my fan, blue clutch, t stat, water pump, (all asin or oem), and all hoses (gates), while I was at it.

is there to tell if my fan clutch is bad or going bad? My ac hasn’t been as cool as normal
Like what 1911 said but also, consider doing a coolant flush. That was one of the first things I did and my ac was a night and day difference. My fluid was Brown!

I have about a year on a koyo radiator. 0 issues and keeps the engine cool when towing, works great. Price was under $200 and it fit identical to the OEM radiator.

A weak fan clutch can definitely cause AC issues. I had about 225K on mine when replaced. It had little to no resistance when spinning by hand.

If you don't hear the fan roar to life when starting in the morning, it is probibaly weak / due for replacement. It will help with AC and cooling, good thing to do since you are replacing the radiator.

I went with the standard blue hub fan clutch (amazon), some folks modify the blue hub clutch for better performance - search that if interested.
I have a little more than a year on my koto rad. So far its just fine. Temps low, fit just like oem. I replaced my fan, blue clutch, t stat, water pump, (all asin or oem), and all hoses (gates), while I was at it.
Like what 1911 said but also, consider doing a coolant flush. That was one of the first things I did and my ac was a night and day difference. My fluid was Brown!

thank you guys. Actually when I flished the cooling sustem with thermocure, i also replaced the hoses and thermostat. I flushed it 3 times with distilled water before putting coolant in... then my PHH broke so I had to do that... then after that this radiator happened :(

Whats the part no on the blue fan clutch? On amazon

I just took a video of my fan clutch. On cold start I don’t hear a roar and it just continuously run at a normal speed, not fast not slow but not roaring fast

Found my radiator is leaking from the top seams. This is after I treated my radiator thermocure and flushed with distilled water (removed old debris causing it to leak?). Anyways, looking for a new radiator. Was initially looking to get oem but cheapest I could find is $428 plus tax and ship. Koyorad around $180.

To current/previous koyorad owners, how is it or how did it hold up? Oem justifiable for 100% increase in price? Also, which clutch fan should I upgrade it?

thank you
What year truck?

Also check here:

thank you

Four years into my Koyorad and it's working great. Been in up to 116 degree weather in stop and go with A/C on in it. I replaced with OEM fan clutch but I would recommend the Wit's End version. Replace your water pump and thermostat if you haven't.

Clarifying question after reading up on the TYC/Koyorad 1918 — the Koyo is the one we want, not the actual TYC? Ordering TYC from Rockauto means an inferior TYC delivered?

Last edited:
I don't see that application on Rockauto. What you want (probably) is the A1918 Koyorad (with a "K"). Fits 93-97. It's a two row aluminum core with a plastic tank.

Amazon will tell you it doesn't fit 93 and 94 but it does. $230 Prime.

Summit has the Denso radiator for about $175.

I don't see that application on Rockauto. What you want (probably) is the A1918 Koyorad (with a "K"). Fits 93-97. It's a two row aluminum core with a plastic tank.

Amazon will tell you it doesn't fit 93 and 94 but it does. $230 Prime.

Summit has the Denso radiator for about $175.
Finding the TYC on Rockauto here More Information for TYC 1918 but no Koyo on Rockauto, though finding it here on Amazon
Amazon product ASIN B00PW2QJS8
Question is, is it the TYC that's preferable to the genuine Koyo? or the other way around? Searched a number of threads and ended up more confused by folks ordering TYC in hopes of getting a Koyo, but the TYC being often recommended.

Finding the TYC on Rockauto here More Information for TYC 1918 but no Koyo on Rockauto, though finding it here on Amazon
Amazon product ASIN B00PW2QJS8
Question is, is it the TYC that's preferable to the genuine Koyo? or the other way around? Searched a number of threads and ended up more confused by folks ordering TYC in hopes of getting a Koyo, but the TYC being often recommended.

I can only speak to Koyorad. Have liked mine, no issues. Also have seen several others happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom