Knuckle rebuild ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, i know knuckle rebuilds have been covered but i have a quick question about the gaskets. I have a drum braked fj55 front end that i am rebuilding and i am wondering if the gasket sets off a disk braked or mini truck axle are the same size or are they diffrent?

I am having a hard time finding a gasket rebuild set for a drum braked axle. So if they are diffrent could somebody point me in the direction of one?

ANd yes i know that i "should" be upgrading to a disk braked axle but thats not in the budget right now. :doh:

thanks, James

Rubber, felt, ring, and half-moon outer metal pieces are all the same.

Good luck!

-Steve

I am finishing up my knuckles today and tomorrow. I must say that it only cost me $100 for my toy axle that was complete...including good rotors and even good brake pads. If at all possible, I would beg borrow trade whatever you can do to find the mini disks...if your already going to rebuild your knuckles.....

I know, however that $100 might as well be $5000 if you don't have it. Good Luck!

James w said:
ANd yes i know that i "should" be upgrading to a disk braked axle but thats not in the budget right now. :doh:

thanks, James
Most of us do prefer disks, but these truck are old and they have gotten by a long time with drums. I wouldn't put any money into them ( set of wheel bearings can cost as much as a good used mini axle) but if you go ahead clean them out, bleed them good and adjust them you shouldn't have any reservation about running with them. Besides so much of that stuff is the same that it can be reused on disk knuckles anyway. Hold on to the large bolt pattern shims that came with your kit, you may need them when you do switch over.

Dang where you guys at that you can get a good mini axle for $100.00? Ive have been looking in my area and the best I could find was $250.00.

I found a front and rear for $100.

Tony

Hey,
I wasn't going to do a disc upgrade for awhile till I found a '85 FJ60 front axle for $75.00 on craigs list. Went and got it now I am in the middle of the project. Go here: http://www.craigslist.org/ and select a metro area near you.
eric

llih said:
Dang where you guys at that you can get a good mini axle for $100.00? Ive have been looking in my area and the best I could find was $250.00.
Check every where but the junk yard. Watch the classifieds, craigs list ect. . They come up, they don't hang around though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom