Kind of "Mystery" Coolant leak back of engine (heat exchanger valley leak) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Hey guys, I had another thread going on on my 09 Lx puking out coolant from what I thought was the waterpump.. But after taking wheels off and a bunch of other plastic crap off of the front of engine (more than I want to remember) waterpump area is completely dry and is coolant drip free (no pink crap anywhere). It seems that all the dripping of coolant is from passenger side control arm back.. there's a lot! After further inspection I seen that the dripping starts from top of tranny hump all the way in the back of motor... There are a bunch of coolant and heater hoses rubber and metal lines on the passenger side rail and all look fine.. I had rig started and o was able to see the dripping coming from top of tranny hump .. The only thing back there that I can see is like a metal bypass hose or something ..But I never seen any drips come from there.. on each side of the bypass hose there seems to be metal gaskets but again I was almost certain that is where I was going to see drips coming from but I coundn't see anything.. the only thing i was thinking of is taking off the plastic intake runners and having a bit more space to climb back up there and take a peek..Anyine ever have this leak before in the back of their 3urfe 5.7? What was the culprit? Any print outs of the coolant lines or metal bypasses or? Here is a pic of the coolant dripping from the top of tranny hump.

Last edited:
Pic

Screenshot_20170813-171830.jpg

Lol.... well damn... Time to start wrenching...fuuuuuuck

20170813_175416.jpg

Pink little little puddle center of pic, left hand side of where the throttle body attaches...

So what gaskets di i need y'all?

So plastic intake runners off.. There's the leak... Guess all I need is fipg grey for the aluminum valley plate I still need to take off.. Can someone confirm?

20170813_182023.jpg

Is it only leaking from the heat exchanger cover? If so, it's just a matter of removing, cleaning a resealing using whatever Toyota recommends. I think Brian names the product needed in that thread you posted.

I can get the torque specs when/if you need them.

Make sure you drain the coolant before popping that cover off otherwise you're in for a potential messy situation.

Last edited:
Coolant drained already from radiator peacock drain..Only leaking from that passenger side of heat exchanger valley plate.... Torque specs would be awesome... Thanks for the help!

Boy, the 200 series is kinda troublesome with coolant leaks from what I have been reading... Kinda makes me like my 100 and 80s a tad bit more...

Actually, here's everything you need. I'm sure if you bring this to Toyota they can get you the 1282B sealant.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-13_at_8.18.25_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-08-13_at_8.18.35_PM.png
AWESOME! Thanks TonyP. Exactly what I needed...

Yeah got plenty of fipg, but I will shell out the pesos for the right stuff since it sucks doing the same job twice..

Yeah got plenty of fipg, but I will shell out the pesos for the right stuff since it sucks doing the same job twice..

Just curious. How many miles on the rig?

89k miles... pretty sad..

Just finished full disassembly of this job... All I can say is that if you have been fortunate not to have this leak thus far, your in for a real treat when it does happen... It's like a PHH job on fzj's on steroids... Ha.. it's not really technical, just a bunch of hard to reach bolts... Correct tools goes a long way.. Anyways, no write up, but I will post up pics and certain tips on how to make tear down a bit less harsh...

Also, besides the FIPG, there's a union pipe with 2 o rings that would be a good idea to replace... Should be good to go after all this...

Good to know, thanks for the thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom