Kennedy/Monanche Meadows area info needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

I was invited to join a trip to Kennedy / Monache Meadows later this month. I haven't been up in that area since camping as a kid with my family so I have no idea what to expect. I know several in this group have been there so hoping to get some info.

Any recommendations on what to do around this area?

Any easy/medium 4wd trails nearby? I see Monache and Sherman Pass trails, feedback on these? I know this area is popular with motorcycles, not sure about vehicles.

I will be pulling a small tent trailer (Venturcraft) and will be sleeping in that or a ground tent. Any issues with bears?

I appreciate any advice / recommendations and recent conditions.

Last edited:
We've never had issues with bears there, but they are out there. Monache is beautiful and worth the extra drive. We've taken the Kimberley all the way to the river sites. Nothing really too difficult, just tight. Shouldn't be an issue with the Venturcraft. Haven't made it to Sherman Pass yet, but it looks fun.

We did a family & friends camping trip to Monache over Memorial Day and it was a blast--the road is in pretty decent shape and with some careful spotting and a few attempts we got a Subaru Crosstrek and a Highlander in and out under their own power. (It seemed easier this year than last, but our 80 also got a way nicer suspension in between so hard to really tell.)

I think the 7 miles or so from Blackrock station down to the meadow are probably worth the time, particularly if you can bring bikes down (my kids *love* riding their bikes through Monache...the river crossings are low enough right now they can blast through them pretty easy while cycling.)
1622957179030.png

1622957273648.png

I've not spent time in the other parts of Kennedy Meadows but my one piece of advice is it was still quite chilly--despite the forecast calling for low 40's at night we had stuff freeze over each night.

No sign of bear activity while we were there FWIW. The critters weren't even that aggressive, we accidentally left some food out and nothing came for it.

Ran Sherman Pass trail years ago and don't recall it being bad at all.
Trailer is absolutely doable ro the river campsites in Monache. They'll be crowded on the weekends, especially the sites across the river.

I haver a small group heading up in late July (mid week to avoid the crazy crowds) so looking forward to some trip reports before then. Taking the 100 and the teardrop so should be a good time!

Looks like plans have changed a bit. Kennedy/Monache fell through unfortunately and we are going to Big Bear instead. I do appreciate all the input and I really hope to make it up there sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom