K20 front axle ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Threads
29
Messages
71
Location
Beaverton, Oregon
Is it correct that the early Dana front 44 axles for Chevy(1974ish) are the same from the knuckles in. Can I take the spindles and hubs off of a 1/2 ton axle and replace same parts off a 3/4 ton axle without any problems?
If there is an issue as discribed, are the drive axles the same?

Thanks
 
Generally, yes. At least, that's my understanding. There are oddball axle housings (all of which are D44s) that show up from time to time after the '74 cut off. Leftover stock and whatnot. I've never had any problems switching 3/4 ton stuff from '72 onward (including inner shafts) but I've never messed with anything that was originally on 1/2 ton/Blazers. I thought the knuckles were different. Hubs, backing plates, and rotors will interchange all the way up to the late 1980s with 3/4 tons but you'll have to decipher the braking system differences such as master cylinders, lines, etc. HTH
 
Yes you can, but why not get the heavier hubs and spindle?? I would like to find the 3/4 ton outers and use them on my 1/2 tion,
 
Back
Top Bottom