1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 LED head lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MANUCHAO, Dec 8, 2014.

1. MANUCHAO

MANUCHAO omnia mea mecum porto

Media:
    Albums:
    I thought I post this info here...
    slcfj62 provided this info....
    Thanks Erik.

Im sure someone out-there will benefit from this info down the road..

FJ60/62 headlight harness

"When Toyota designed the FJ60 (and continued the paradigm with the FJ62) they decided to supply the headlight 12 volts to what is normally considered the "common" in the headlights. (The headlights have three connectors. One connector is connected to both filaments and is referred to as the "common".) In most vehicles, the headlight common is connected to ground. The Toyota engineers decided to get clever and supplied the 12 volts to this common connector and then supplied ground to the other end of each headlight filament through the steering column HI/LO switch. Because of this, we have started calling this configuration "switched ground." This is technically correct, but an electrical engineer would call this "hot common"."

JW Evolution 2 LED's

"An LED is polarity sensitive (you can't reverse the ground and hot connections). A common hot configuration supplies reverse polarity to the LED headlight, meaning the hot and ground are reversed and the headlight won't light. This is the reason your headlight circuits must be rewired for a common ground configuration to use LED headlights."

Wired Wagon harness specific to the JW LED's.

"The harness will be wired to use the existing vehicle switching to control the headlights. The headlight ON switch with turn on the LOW beams. Moving the HI/LOW switch to the HI position will turn on the HI beams. It will do this by completing the path to ground (in the steering column switch) for the coil in the HI beam relay in the new harness. So, technically the HI beams are still turned on via the steering column switch supplying a ground path. The big difference is the new harness will be wired to supply common ground to the new headlights vs common hot as in the vehicle harness.

The new harness will also work with stock sealed beam headlights or H4 headlights for that matter, so you should be able to use any headlights you choose. ie: you won't have to buy a third LED headlight as a spare."

So much for plug and play eh..... :flipoff2::flipoff2:

2. sschruff

sschruff 50 lashes for ALL politicians! GOLD Star

<above> SLCfj62 wired mine perfectly and one of the better customer service experiences I've had to date - not to mention, the guy stands behind his work 100%.

Here's a pic of mine installed I grabbed today while at the shop:

[​IMG]

3. MANUCHAO

Media:
    Albums:
    Got my harness and LED's headlights to work this afternoon.
    These did not function properly, but this was a user set-up error on my part...
    Very happy I went with these headlights.
    The cut off is great and once they are aimed properly its like having a bowl (shape) of light in front of the vehicle....

EDIT: Posted pics......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Elbert likes this.
  4. Major Nelson

Major Nelson

x2 on the grinding. I have an 87 and had to grind the same spots. Maybe the back of the evo 2 are slightly different. Manuchao, did you have to get the new harness to get them to work? I didn't know if there was a way to get them to work with the stock harness (yeah, trying to not have to buy yet another part). At least I have the grinding done (was sad to do it on my new buckets) and the new rings and springs in...just have to find out how to get the lights to actually turn on now. :)

Thanks for your input.

5. MANUCHAO

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I had to since I don't have the time to figure this one out...
    The good news is that the harness is built very well and an easy plug and play....
    You'll forget about it once you get to drive at night with this head lights.
    Frank

6. Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Thanks Frank, looks like l'll be placing an order tomorrow.

7. Low Brow

Low Brow

AC2BA798-3909-4107-BA13-6A3AAA51800F.jpeg 70BDD6EA-FE6C-4448-8482-949C9A80EF19.jpeg Reviving a dead thread...

I installed JW Speaker 8700J-C Evo J headlights on my 1985 FJ60. These were not ‘plug n play’, and I spent many hours trying to figure out wiring. Rankuru’s solution looked promising, but I couldn’t make it work for me (maybe because of the H13 final connection on these?)

I ended up putting in a cheap Chinese wiring harness upgrade from Amazon ($24), with a set of H4 to H13 converting antiflicker adaptors ($17). This works great for powering the lights, high beams and low beams. The high beam indicator does not work, but I am okay with that at this point.

The parts:

1Set 2-headlights H4 Headlight Relay Harness Ceramic Socket 1992 Toyota Pickup Led Headlight Harness Relay Kit For Toyota 95-97 Tacoma 88-95 Pickup, Fix 7x6 5x7 6054 Headlights Malfunction, Dimming https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9QQMMH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A5x.AbA0598CW

iJDMTOY (2) H4 To H13 Canbus Anti Flicker Resistor Canceller Decoders For LED Headlights, Fog Lights or Aftermarket Headlamps Retrofit, etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HMTS9J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q4x.Ab3DBTB7R

It is definitely a nice safety upgrade for night driving, although it might be too modern of a look for my old truck unless I continue restomod work.

YMMV