Just wanted to share my SHORT journey with my LX470 so far (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Always been into cars, i have a supercharged s2000 with 410whp that i fully built myself etc, but was in dire need of a bigger car, i wanted to choose a car that I could enjoy wrenching on and treating as a family member (i get attached) so i decided on the lx470 for the 3rd row seat, the ability for offroading and because of the deal i got

i found the lx470 for 4100 (actually 5k but got it for 4100) with 373,000 miles on it

First thing i did was check it over, check suspension bushings etc, found everything to be in good order, checked compression 180ish across the board. so pretty amazing, 1 owner with a bible of service records all from lexus.

first thing i noticed was the headlights were TERRIBLE, i could barely see the road so i bought 2x 55watt HID kits for the headlights 2x HID kits 35watt for the fog lights and 2x LED for DRL and High Beams, absolutely 10x better.

Next thing i did was i noticed no aux input, did research found it difficult to fit aftermarket stereo so bypassed the magnetic head on the tape deck, fitted a kinivo BTC450 bluetooth to that, works perfect!

then the speakers were all shot, was goign to get new ones but the strange 8ohm setup required me to spend almost 2k in speakers so i checked the voice coils and decided to just repair surrounds.

after the speakers, i knew i shoudl do the timing belt so did that along with all bearings, water pump etc.

wanted a light bar so installed that, had to custom make a braket and use rivet inserts because i could not find proper brackets for this car, most people put it on the roof rack (which i have not made yet)

had to take it offroading

then i realized i absolutely needed some new wheels, got some and they are 10x better looking :)

suspension felt too soft so i checked ahc fluid and just decided to bleed it all out (took 5 liters @65$ each :( ) and it felt like a new car after that, luckily for me i was still getting 7 gradations on the res from low to high.

then came brake controller

then the air bag helpers

and of course a good tow hitch

so i have done this work over the course of about 2 months, just wanted to share and let everyone see this thing, absolutely love the car :) **it wouldnt let me put all pics, if u want to see any more of any one of these processes they are in my gallery**

Looking good bro,

Appreciate you going after a high mileage example,

Can I get the details on you wiring in your AUX input through your factory head unit?

Good job so far. In the above pics where did you take the truck off-road? Looks like Santiago peak in SoCal.

As far as the aux, I too would like you to share how you went about that mod. I was considering going the plug-n-play Grom aux route.

Looking good bro,

Appreciate you going after a high mileage example,

Can I get the details on you wiring in your AUX input through your factory head unit?

yeah, ill do it in t he morning and give u a very simple way to do it, :) i did it a hard way and ended up doing the easier method :)
actually, i can just tell you now.

so just take out the tape deck carefully (easy to find write ups on that) then u just cut the magnetic tape head off (the thing that reads the cassette tape) i personally went the cleaner route and unsoldered them. on that same side, that ribbon was soldered to you will see 2 bumps that look almost like small potentiometers and there is an L and an R on the PCB near them. Just solder straight to the connections going into each little potentiometer looking thing. The solder point will be the OUTSIDE of each box, so closest to the edge of the PCB. Be careful not to unsolder the box itself, because it has a solder point directly under it as well, if u do u have to trace the connection with a spare wire etc. actually, I think there is a youtube video for u to watch because i am probably doing a horrible job explaining it ;)

Good job so far. In the above pics where did you take the truck off-road? Looks like Santiago peak in SoCal.

As far as the aux, I too would like you to share how you went about that mod. I was considering going the plug-n-play Grom aux route.

that offroading spot is Otay Mountain Truck Trails, then we got lost and had to get have border patrol open the gate to let us out, or else we would have 4 hours back of the same trail haha

Great work! Curious if that radio hack would also work to just hard wire a non-bluetooth aux cable?

Got it! There's a company in Rancho Cucamonga that will add an aux port to headunits, but they can't do the Nakamichi unit from the 2000 LX on a "core" basis. You have to mail in your headunit, wait for them to add the aux feature, then wait for them to mail it back. Might try to tackle it myself to avoid the shipping hassle.

Got it! There's a company in Rancho Cucamonga that will add an aux port to headunits, but they can't do the Nakamichi unit from the 2000 LX on a "core" basis. You have to mail in your headunit, wait for them to add the aux feature, then wait for them to mail it back. Might try to tackle it myself to avoid the shipping hassle.

its really not that hard :) just some solder and some wire ;) and some creative wire runs :) my fav budget soldering iron is the hakko FX-888D

if u need help we can do it at my house, not very far, live in murrieta, i do go to San Diego often, my shop(work) is there ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom