Just Passed California Smog yesterday, the right way! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok guys, so I'm going to hopefully get some pics up to you today! I have one question though, anyone know why I'm not getting a very smooth power curve? There seem to be some dead spots in the accelerator, especially when cold. Could this be a vacuum leak issue? Thanks for the help!

-Seth

Have you had a Vacuum gauge on it?

Vac advance working correctly?

Getting a good shot of gas (looking down the carb throat) ?

Pics!

Sorry it took so long, but here are some photos of the LEGAL truck! :bounce:

FJ60pic1_small.jpg

FJ60pic2_small.jpg

FJ60pic3_small.jpg

FJ60pic4_small.jpg

FJ60pic5_small.jpg

Seth,
When are we doing your knuckle rebuild? You need to order the rebuild kit and get marlin crawler seals.

Congrats on passing! I hot to join that club here in the near future, when I stop being so lazy and adjust the valves and rebuild the carb.

I had the same struggle with my son in laws 85 FJ60 last summer. Two years earlier, he had taken his truck to a well known No. CA cruiser mechanic to have the smog control fixed and now 2 years later it wouldn't pass because of high NOx. I dug in over a hot engine in over 100 degree So. CA weather to find that all the VSVs were wired incorrectly. After correcting the wiring, it still failed, so we had to dig deeper and found that the vacuum tubes were randomly connected. After correcting the plumbing, it passed with flying colors. So much for cruiser experts! The way to deal with these issues is to go through the whole thing systematically and double check everything. It is not fun, but it is not hard if you have the emissions manual. It also helps to have a bag of spare parts.

Ironically enough, I referenced my own post today when working on my FJ60... Is there any way to make this a sticky post? I had a hard time finding it?

-Seth

nice writeup! dont really need it though...(no smog county :D plus a 350 V8)

ummmm you are missing a mirror :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom