Just installed 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Researching the subject to death I made the split second decision to buy the Trail Grapplers today and get it over with. I went from 275/60/18 Yokohama Geolandars to these 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I was almost set on 275/70/18's but in the end width won out over height.

These are heavy tires compared to what I have...I believe it is something like 40lbs vs 67lbs per tire but with that in mind I also realize I get a stronger sidewall and hopefully longer tread life.

The ride its definitely different. As vastly different as I've read online I'd say no! The LX has a great controlled ride to begin with so other trucks may exhibit far more negative rides.

Steering is less controlled, the last 3 mph before braking to a stop you feel the nubs in the tire and road noise with windows down is noticeable but not too loud. Windows up riding isn't bad at all...these are much quieter than I was anticipating.

I'm the first to admit this is more mall parking lot than trail vehicle but I do plan to go out at Big Cypress in the Everglades to try out their trails with these new tires.

So far I'm loving the look and the ride is not bad at all pre highway speeds (which I've yet to test).

Next up AHC lift.

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

517430a6-fcd1-4310-9ffd-0ec59c5a2dbf.jpg

Going to wait until Jan to purchase the permit, considering it doesn't prorate the year. But I'm definitely down.

Well, as long as your going out to Big Cypress, than that's ok. Seriously though, that's some nice meat. I didn't realize though that they'd be that heavy. Thanks for the info. I'll be shopping soon and Nittos are near the top of the list.

Same here re the Nittos. My thought is to go with the 285/60r18 Nitto Terra Grappler.

While my LC gets a lot of highway miles, I've been trapped in an ice storm pileup and torrential rains five times in the last year, so while I can't say I have the burning need 50% of the time, the need for a more versatile tire is there..

Last edited:
The nittos are Great tires, am running them in 295/70/17 and was also shocked how smooth they are for MT tires. The noise is definitely there but roll up the windows and can barely tell.

Looking good.... I am still up in the air with these or the KO2's
I just had 275/70r18 KO2s installed today. They're smooth and quiet so far, but time will tell.

The TGs look great!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445717743.637749.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445717752.985926.jpg

Beautiful. Just purchased the same truck. Did you have a lift on it when these photos were taken?
Thanks. No, the pics were taken with the stock AHC on the high setting. Are you saying you bought the exact car?

Have you looked at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers? They are still aggressive looking and not as loud as the Trail Grapplers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom