I'm just relieved it doesn't seem to be anything I did. I've been really stretching my mechanical abilities - so I can learn, and it can be a bit scary...
I will say, Summit Racing was very fast to respond and have already shipped a new DUI which I will have tomorrow. No questions asked, but I did attach the email chain between the mechanic and me where he diagnosed the burnt out coil.
Since I had it towed to my favorite local shop ( the head mechanic drives a sweet 80 series) I had them install the new DUI. I asked them to give it a good once over and they installed some new gaskets on the carb cleaned it and tuned it, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced one of the hoses. I pick my keys up tomorrow. I'm so looking forward to getting to drive it again after being out of commission for the whole summer. with the exception of the few miles I put on it before it died.
The local cruiser club has a drive planned for October I want to participate in with my 40 rather than the GX. But I want to get some break in time and feel comfortable in driving a couple hundred miles. My longest drive yet has been about 50 miles.
I don't get off work in time to pick it up so I asked my wife to go pay and pick up the key.
Over the phone they told me after they drained the gas tank, cleaned it, changed the fuel filter, etc. They only put a little gas in it and they did a test drive and I'd have to go next door and get gas immediately. It started right up and sounded great. Well as soon as I got all 4 wheels on the highway, it cut out on me. Luckily someone stopped and helped me push it back into the shop's parking lot. I went next door bought a gas can to add to my collection and put 2 gallons in it. It started for a second or two and sounded horrible until it cut off. Then I couldn't get it to start again. So I literally only drove it about 50-60 feet.
Now my wife is upset and telling me to sell it an get another one. I am thinking it's going to me something simple.
Discouraging but like you say…”it’s going to be something simple”
Funny too because….back in the 1970’s when I bought my first FJ40, my VERY practical dad said…”Toyota, Datsun…what if you break a belt on the road, you could pull in to any gas station and get one for a Chevy or Ford”
So I’m in Vermont driving about 100 miles from the Canada border and the fairly new truck starts to buck and stall. Let it rest 5 minutes go another few miles…buck and stall. My head is thinking…dad was right ..I am going to be stuck
Finally made it home and the fuel filter was clogging. Cheap gas ? Who knows but I had no money and would buy gas at .74 cents where in could find it. Regular was around .79 cents at name brand stations
So here it is 52 years later and my FJ40 (not the same one) is still kicking ass compared to any Chevy, Ford, Chrysler/Dodge or VW I have ever owned
Hoping to hear what your issue is. Thinking they could have filled the truck with gas 1/2 way and charged you for 8-9 gallons just so you didn’t need to go crazy at the end of the day
You stated the shop drained and cleaned your gas tank. Do you know how they cleaned it?
I had to replace my old tank because everytime I would try to clean it I would just get more debris come off the tank walls and was constantly changing my fuel filter, It would just get clogged up. I eventually bought a new tank to solve the problem.
Have you checked your fuel pump? Sounds like it fires up and idles fine but when you put a load on the system and try to drive it dies on you. You may not be getting proper flow to the carb. What carb are you running?
@knuckle47 Fingers crossed. @Almill13 Fuel pump would be my next guess too. Thankfully they're relatively cheap and easy to replace. I don't know exactly what they did with the fuel tank. The invoice just reads drain, drop and clean gas tank. I can say the outside is nice and clean.
I was so happy with how it started and sounded the first time. It never sounded so good. This helps me "feel" that it was something minor.
But at least it happened right in front of the shop and I didn't have to get another tow.
It must have been pretty simple. The shop called me first thing this morning. Because I work an hour and a half away, it's been a very long time since I've been to the shop in person. They asked me to come in person and they want to show me some tricks with getting it to crank up. So they agreed to come in at 7:00 tomorrow morning. I'm so excited. They're saying it's running like a champ.
Picked it up this morning went for a quick test drive with the mechanic. It fired right up and ran beautifully. I wish I had time to drive it around more. But I'll be playing with it a lot now.
They think an extended air pocket in the fuel line. They said right after they put even more fuel in it, it started right up. He laughed and said if I tried 1 more time the fuel pump probably would have pushed that air out and I would have been in business. But I love this wild concept of it firing right up as soon as you turn the key.
Since getting it back I haven't had the opportunity to do any driving, I have season tickets to ECU football and went to 1 away game. But on Saturday the local LC club is doing a drive I want to participate in.
I am going to plan on driving about 1 hour each night when I get home to build my confidence that it is ready for a 3-4 hour drive. Then Friday if all goes well I'll drive it to work, 55 miles each way, as the final test.
On another note, I found a lead on a buyer for my MetalTech full roll cage. Hopefully that will work out. That will put a nice chunk towards a new suspension. I also am working on an even swap my electric power steering for an OEM manual steering column. I'm getting excited I will be able to drive it regularly.