Jkny's Bantam trailer build re vive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. I built one for $44 because I already had some of the parts. Heres a link... Under $50 DIY 3-axis coupler.

So far its worked awesome. Its such a solid hitch that you never feel the trailer when taking off from a stop or coming to a stop.

View attachment 1659911

This is awesome!! Thanks for posting this, I'm definitely going to follow suit and make one! I would always rather make stuff on my own if I have the now how and capabilities rather than buying much more expensive parts that I know I can make for a fraction of the cost.. Lock n Roll isn't cheap!

This is awesome!! Thanks for posting this, I'm definitely going to follow suit and make one! I would always rather make stuff on my own if I have the now how and capabilities rather than buying much more expensive parts that I know I can make for a fraction of the cost.. Lock n Roll isn't cheap!
Judging from your work I figured you'd rather build your own. Any built coupler on the market is overly priced and under built. With this route you can over build for under the price and still have $200 to spend elsewhere.

Judging from your work I figured you'd rather build your own. Any built coupler on the market is overly priced and under built. With this route you can over build for under the price and still have $200 to spend elsewhere.

Absolutely man! Thanks I'm pumped to make this and saving money is always great,,, it's how I always try to justify to the wife whatever new thing I'm doing to the truck, that or for Safety purposes thats number one haha;)

I just finishing building this cargo barrier for the 80. Cost about $40 in steel and part of a Saturday :cool:

Same with these drawers I built ( originally for the 4runner) So a little small for the 80 now but still work great!

IMG_2008.JPG

Not to derail the subject, but is that brown leather in your 80 ???

Yes, the Previous Mudd member I got this truck from @akarilo had it installed. I believe it's called Shanes leather ? It's pretty slick. I was on a wheeling trip today and my other buddy who has a 80 hopped in with me for a sec and was commenting on how nice it is for a 80 :D I try to keep it up and take care of it!

09B87BA9-AB80-4282-B4E9-64D0C06FD336_zpsyr2xwxup.jpg

348CEB76-D55A-40CF-862B-643EBFBD64DF_zpsnuvrzkc5.jpg

805D0EFF-0DD8-465E-A351-67DF6264A421_zps1hc5nvse.jpg

Went and picked up the trailer today from upstate NY to bring to our place in Massachusetts! That's mainly where the 80 lives now and where I mostly work on everything. No I need to finish up and paint match it to the 80, Also need to get the brake controller wired up but it really tows nice behind the 80. Much better than with the 4runner! You can barely tell its back there except for in the hills..
OQVxrOJURqKAH6mhQhsjSw.jpg

Opened the tent up to air it out, Started fitting up where I'm going to put the scissor jacks in the rear.

JPTbL6%fS9+iSmw4%gtUSA.jpg

gCYOLhj0TcSEYlnw1r6eVA.jpg

Been doing a lot more work on the truck as of lately to get ready for our clubs first spring run but I was able to at least get the scissor jacks welded up on the trailer and get a coat of paint on it. I plan on paint matching it to the 80 but ended up running out of time before the trip mostly due to weather, nothing but rain for most of the past month. But thats spring in the northeast for ya.

Anyways I at least got to get out and use the trailer for the weekend of our run. Worked out great! My oldest son and I slept comfortably in the RTT and the new jacks worked great for leveling out the trailer. Gave me some much needed motivation to get it finished and and really looking forward to getting some good use out of it the season!

fullsizeoutput_1868.jpeg
M%EoXi0TTKSReNV0MIkd2w.jpg
MjHXEyU4RV6KQpIusjQK7w.jpg
%tmQwb8zS+6t21N7nn6AwQ.jpg

Well I haven't gotten out in the trailer this summer as much as I would of liked but I at least made it out a couple times! I need to figure something out for the Mattress, its ok for a night but anything more just isn't comfortable for me. Thinking of a Foam topper maybe or an additional sleeping pad?

I've also been contemplating selling it lately? I just haven't been using it as much as I want to and hate that it just sits in the yard. It's tough though after all the work I put into it but at the same time its all the more reason for someone else to get some good use out of it :meh:

IMG_4397.JPG
IMG_4396.JPG
IMG_4698.JPG

I also fabbed up some telescoping awning brackets this past weekend using some scrap steel and aluminum square tube for my ARB awning I had lying around and picked up a tongue box from harbor freight! Came out pretty good.

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5192.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom