JDM second row hinge functionality? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone know how the second row hinges work? the pair here seem to only latch at one spot when you recline them and when you pull the lever they tilt forward.
ans i am trying to figure out if i can test them before installing them.
unfortunately these came with a reasonably significant amount of rust not disclosed by the seller so i am wondering if i may also have an issue with the functionality.
also was there a link here somewhere to someone that sells these?
THANKS
4BC754D8-1539-4C7C-89F1-AD29FF03BBC1.jpeg

248158BA-0808-4B2C-842E-0BE899182260.jpeg

8BF62909-B650-41AD-B1CD-CA4979DBB6CA.jpeg

02869F7F-128D-46F0-9137-9FD7F96FE19F.jpeg

DE434D59-867B-43EF-B4BD-E7123B8E54B7.jpeg

Review the picture in post #7.

No pin = recline. You appear to be fine.

I don’t know if he had a for sale thread but @mot used to sell hinges. He jokes about his hinge business in the thread above.

Review the picture in post #7.

No pin = recline. You appear to be fine.
hey man,
so do you know if you can test the JDM ones without installing them?
i actually read all the threads ans sort of half assed brought my OEM down to my machinist but by the time we got talking i realized it was a bigger job than either of us wanted to take on. then i re-read threads and realized i didn’t want to try to do a gear swap. so i bought JDM off some guy.
but the condition really should have been disclosed better so i kind of just wanted to make sure they are working properly.
from what i understand the PIN is taken out to recline /third/ row all the way in the back. and i actually took out both pins in the back.
so now i am working on the second row. and those need JDM hinges or you need to swap out with (of fabricate yours) gears that have more teeth so it “stops” when it is further reclined. the US gears don’t have any teeth at the fuller recline AFAIK.
anyway, i was kind of hoping to know if there is a way to know these are working before installing them since i need to take a wire brush to them and spray primer to clean up this rust first if i am keeping them.
below shows the pin you take out for the third row seats.
i think i need to keep these JDM second row seats or i buy a set of gears and swap them out off that thread(?). so i was kind of hoping to buy JDM gears for the second row and save the time. if all that makes sense...

1788DFCA-6642-4D0D-873A-D5748ACE9136.png

I do not see why it would be difficult or time consuming to simply swap the hinges and find out.
yeah. that’s what i was going to do.
not sure but i guess i am looking for it to latch in multiple places beyond the normal upright US position?
i just can’t see how it is going to work based on the way they work not installed. so i was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.
seems like they should catch in multiple positions beyond upright. but again it does not appear they are going to want to do this but i may be missing something.

My HDJ81, which is about as Japanese as it gets, latches only in the fully upright position as far as I’m aware.

As usual you're overthinking this. It takes about 5 minutes to swap the hinges. If you need additional positions take a file or a Dremel tool and add notches just like the third row hinges have. Keep in mind that the seatbacks will not fully recline as the wheel wells limit the travel.

Last edited:
Bro. In the time it takes you to create new threads and type a bunch of the same questions in uncreative ways, you could’ve had these swapped and swapped again and again and again and again and found out for yourself. Enabling is bad. Just do it and answer your own question(s).

thanks gents.
always good to get the expertise here.
anyone know if there is a fix for a spring not returning the seat? do the springs wear out?
i'm thinking to swap out the springs in the ones that came out with one of the ones not working but does anyone know if the one that is not working is just worn out? or do you sometimes need to force an extra winding out of those things?
any intel on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom