Events/Trails January 14-16, Fish Creek, Wheeling, Camping, Shooting, 2nd attempt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
Let's try this one more time. My 4 year old was bummed he didn't get a chance to camp where he sleeps in the dirt (he means tent...) so hopefully his dream can finally be fulfilled. Since we will have an entire day of wheeling and exploring Sunday I am going to change things up a bit and try to get to Fish Creek early to snag camp spots because I am concerned it will fill up.

Plan:
Saturday: Meet Saturday 9AM at the Sears lot at the Escondido Mall. It's faster to Fish Creek from there than from I15/76. We will go straight to Fish Creek and get camp set up. We can have lunch at camp and then plan the afternoon's shenanigans. Note that I have never been to the "Iron Door" bar so maybe this will be a chance to check that box on my never ending bucket list.
Sunday: Let's explore south of Fish Creek in the Carrizo area. I have never been there and will do some research but it looks like quite a few washes to explore. It even looks like it might meet up with S2. If so we can make a big loop and head back via diablo. We will aim to hit up the BLM area for some target shooting by mid afternoon. We'll have lunch out on the trail.
Monday: Depart at your leisure. There are a few washes off of S2 I have been wanting to explore so if time permits I might check those out on the way back. Packing up tends to be a bit of an ordeal with 3 kids in tow but you never know. And then there is Slowjamastan... also yet to be visited by me.

Comms: GMRS 22, FRS 22, or HAM 146.490. I don't have a CB in my truck anymore so if anyone is using that please let me know and I'll bring one.

Dinner suggestions:
Saturday: Burgers, easy stuff.
Sunday: Mexican / chili theme, let's live up to our mission statement of an eating club with a wheeling problem.

Attending:
- Elripster + 3 boys
- HonkyTonka + boy + dog
- Phulcrum + boy and maybe more

Who's in?

- Knarf

Last edited:
Note that the Iron Door is extremely adamant about no children being allowed inside. However, kids are allowed to sit outside on the porch and the place serves digestible hot dogs and slices of frozen pizza that they microwave... They also allow beers to be consumed on the porch and at their picnic tables...

That's good to note. I'll banish myself outside if we go there.

Knarf

are you driving out Saturday morning then?

That's the plan. I'd probably try to leave Friday but can't get my crew together that quickly.

Let's try this one more time. My 4 year old was bummed he didn't get a chance to camp where he sleeps in the dirt (he means tent...) so hopefully his dream can finally be fulfilled. Since we will have an entire day of wheeling and exploring Sunday I am going to change things up a bit and try to get to Fish Creek early to snag camp spots because I am concerned it will fill up.

Plan:
Saturday: Meet Saturday 9AM at the Sears lot at the Escondido Mall. It's faster to Fish Creek from there than from I15/76. We will go straight to Fish Creek and get camp set up. We can have lunch at camp and then plan the afternoon's shenanigans. Note that I have never been to the "Iron Door" bar so maybe this will be a chance to check that box on my never ending bucket list.
Sunday: Let's explore south of Fish Creek in the Carrizo area. I have never been there and will do some research but it looks like quite a few washes to explore. It even looks like it might meet up with S2. If so we can make a big loop and head back via diablo. We will aim to hit up the BLM area for some target shooting by mid afternoon. We'll have lunch out on the trail.
Monday: Depart at your leisure. There are a few washes off of S2 I have been wanting to explore so if time permits I might check those out on the way back. Packing up tends to be a bit of an ordeal with 3 kids in tow but you never know. And then there is Slowjamastan... also yet to be visited by me.

Comms: GMRS 22, FRS 22, or HAM 146.490. I don't have a CB in my truck anymore so if anyone is using that please let me know and I'll bring one.

Dinner suggestions:
Saturday: Burgers, easy stuff.
Sunday: Mexican / chili theme, let's live up to our mission statement of an eating club with a wheeling problem.

Attending:
- Elripster + 3 boys

Who's in?

- Knarf
Might be able to meet up on Sunday. Depends on if we can get the cruiser fixed, or if the axels finally come in for the truck!

Note that the Iron Door is extremely adamant about no children being allowed inside. However, kids are allowed to sit outside on the porch and the place serves digestible hot dogs and slices of frozen pizza that they microwave... They also allow beers to be consumed on the porch and at their picnic tables...
kind of defeats the point of no alcohol around kids.... 😆

The boy, dog and I are there. We gotta be home Sunday night so we'll just spend Sat night there. I'll bring the Keilbasanova - whole keilbasa grilled and stuck in a baguette like a hot dog.

The first come first serve site on the left a short distance in from split mountain Rd.

Frank

Wyatt and I are in maybe more.

Hopeya little rain to keep the dust down but little weather gets passed the mountain shadow.

Frank

Where will you be exploring on Saturday? The washes off Fish Creek (Sandstone, Olla wash, Hapaha flat)? Or the washes up on the mesa (Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, Tapiado, June Wash, Vallecito Wash, Canyon Sin Nombre, etc)?

You can't get from the former area to the later area without going up Diablo Dropoff. You can't get from Fish Creek to S2 except going up one of the two dropoffs, out Split Mtn Road or the long way around following the trail tracks.

I may try to join you if I can get away, but it would be a Sat only day trip or possibly stay until Sun morning.

Where will you be exploring on Saturday? The washes off Fish Creek (Sandstone, Olla wash, Hapaha flat)? Or the washes up on the mesa (Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, Tapiado, June Wash, Vallecito Wash, Canyon Sin Nombre, etc)?

You can't get from the former area to the later area without going up Diablo Dropoff. You can't get from Fish Creek to S2 except going up one of the two dropoffs, out Split Mtn Road or the long way around following the trail tracks.

I may try to join you if I can get away, but it would be a Sat only day trip or possibly stay until Sun morning.
Are you familiar with the first come first serve camping area? It's pictured below. That's the goal. If we find Saturday morning it's already full we will have to pivot and I'll post up here where.
1673542180693.png

Thanks for the heads up on getting back to S2. I have never gone that southern route. We can brainstorm some areas to explore if that route doesn't make sense.

Frank

If you only have one day and don't want to do too much driving, there are many things to do around Split Mountain / Fish Creek wash: Wind Caves, Sandstone Canyon, Mud Palisades, etc. Even driving up to Hapaha Flats (split rock, base of Pinion dropoff/Heart attack hill) is fun too but a little further out. The slot canyon is close by across the 78 as well. If you try to go up the dropoff and explore the mesa it may make for a long day.

I most likely won't be able to make it please don't make plans for me, just giving some suggestions. If you have any questions let me know!

Thanks for the suggestions. My oldest kiddo wants to do the wind caves so we might do that Saturday afternoon.

Frank

Is this the route we'd take to Hapaha Flats? Sounds like a fun run and I have never been there.

1673544854966.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom