Issue: peeling plastic film around main head unit/navigation screen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if anyone else has experienced this:

As I was stuck in traffic today, I noticed what looked like white "gunk" in the bottom right hand corner of my '16 Nav screen. I tried to wipe it away, but it turns out it was a very light plastic film that had begun to curl in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Thought that was odd - perhaps the remnants of some protective film when I first took deliver many moons ago, so I tried to wipe it away... only to tear a small triangular section away down across the main head. I now believe the entire main head unit - all the surrounding plastic trim, is covered in this thin (protective) film. You can feel it when you lightly press into it with a nail - my guess is that it's to protect the plastic from sun damage (possibly) or scratches. The plastic underneath is less shiny; more dull in appearance.

A quick google suggested that the trim pieces are not sold separately - have to buy the entire head unit for between 2900-5600 USD depending on the dealer.

Has anyone else come across this issue? If so, is there a fix other than replacing the entire unit? My extended warranty expired a little over a week ago, and I feat Toyota would play hardball. Plus the unit works just fine - this is just cosmetic. Pics attached. Gotta admit I'm a bit disappointed.

Thoughts?

20230217_155214.jpg

20230217_155222.jpg

I would say push for warranty claim. They can make exceptions for sure. Sooner the better. Or even call Toyota Corporate if dealers starts with a NO.

I had a cosmetic issue with a Lexus one time, similar to yours above, around the HVAC control. They replaced without question.

I don't think that was from a manufacturer defect if you look right next to it there is marks/damage thats show something was dragged across that area.

This is occurring on my ‘21. On Partsouq, it looks like some specs have a $100 piece of trim that o could change out, but the US spec only lists as the full head unit. Any experience replacing that black plastic trim?

This is occurring on my ‘21. On Partsouq, it looks like some specs have a $100 piece of trim that o could change out, but the US spec only lists as the full head unit. Any experience replacing that black plastic trim?
No idea. But if you figure it out, please let me/us know. It gets worse over time.

Have come to the conclusion it’s from taking it to the detail places around town. They spray cleaner or some other liquid on the inside, and over time this softens up this (stupid) film, and it begins to bubble. And with the bubbling comes eventual tearing and pealing. Poor design.

Also: I’ve told the detail cleaning crews not to spray anything on the inside of the vehicle when they work on it - especially around the NAV system.

No idea. But if you figure it out, please let me/us know. It gets worse over time.

Have come to the conclusion it’s from taking it to the detail places around town. They spray cleaner or some other liquid on the inside, and over time this softens up this (stupid) film, and it begins to bubble. And with the bubbling comes eventual tearing and pealing. Poor design.

Also: I’ve told the detail cleaning crews not to spray anything on the inside of the vehicle when they work on it - especially around the NAV system.
Should add: my dealer told me the only way to fix in the US is to buy the entire head unit. Could be found for 3K last year. It’s now 4K. Ridiculous really. As it’s just trim I need - so will live with the crappy aesthetic until someone comes up with a better solution!

I’m at 37 months as of yesterday but do have a 10yr /100k warranty. I know trim isn’t covered, but if you have to replace the whole head unit, is it really still trim?

I’m at 37 months as of yesterday but do have a 10yr /100k warranty. I know trim isn’t covered, but if you have to replace the whole head unit, is it really still trim?
It’s an interesting perspective. Mine was under extended warranty when I was informed that it wasn’t covered “because it is trim”. But this was on the back of two other warranty claims - a water pump and an AC air recirculation unit - so maybe they were just trying to avoid a fight with Toyota…

It’s an interesting perspective. Mine was under extended warranty when I was informed that it wasn’t covered “because it is trim”. But this was on the back of two other warranty claims - a water pump and an AC air recirculation unit - so maybe they were just trying to avoid a fight with Toyota…
This is the trim piece that I found for URJ200L-GNZVKV which looks to be a ME/Africa LH Drive spec.

IMG_4285.png

IMG_4286.png

Maybe we need to petition Toyota USA to help get a hold of it. You know it exists somewhere! :)

Great find. Unfortunately it looks like that trim piece wouldn’t fit our US spec

Great find. If only that trim piece would fit our US spec Cruisers!
Agreed….checked many others and looks like the models that have a similar head unit do not show just the trim as an option.

Can you just peel off all the plastic/film? I’m afraid to try as it isn’t very noticeable now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom