ISO: Log arch. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone has one of these they'd be willing to lend me/rent for beer, whatever? I have a couple big fir trees i need to pull up from the back yard.
This is Cruiser related, i'll be pulling them up with my 42.
1571595896785.png

Hell no, too nice for that! I've got an alaskan mill, gonna slab em' up. I just cut them into 20' lengths and need to pull them into a better location to start milling.
--Hey Bradford, how's your winch these days?? Bring your truck over.

Hell no, too nice for that! I've got an alaskan mill, gonna slab em' up. I just cut them into 20' lengths and need to pull them into a better location to start milling.
--Hey Bradford, how's your winch these days?? Bring your truck over.
Alaskan mill you say....:hmm:

I have a couple nice fir logs out back with no knots. I know a guy with a bandsaw mill but...damn can he talk. :lol:

Dragged a half dozen out with the tractor.

Some guys been trying to sell a log arch for too much money around here for years.

You must have a stack of cruiser axles. Bolt a couple spindles to something and you're halfway there.

I also have a bigass planer that'll do about 16" wide by 8 or 10" thick. In case you want to plane something up for beams etc. :cool:

Funny thing is, last time I used it in earnest, the shavings pile could be seen from space. ( still there on google earth...:lol:)

Last edited:
Just asking. I’d come down and help for a giggle but not home for awhile.
Rig up an over head shackle and drag them up. How far are you trying to drag them?

Alaskan mill you say....:hmm:

I have a couple nice fir logs out back with no knots. I know a guy with a bandsaw mill but...damn can he talk. :lol:

Dragged a half dozen out with the tractor.

Some guys been trying to sell a log arch for too much money around here for years.

You must have a stack of cruiser axles. Bolt a couple spindles to something and you're halfway there.

I also have a bigass planer that'll do about 16" wide by 8 or 10" thick. In case you want to plane something up for beams etc. :cool:

Funny thing is, last time I used it in earnest, the shavings pile could be seen from space. ( still there on google earth...:lol:)
Damn, a bandsaw would be ideal, less waste. I'd like to build a nice thick harvest/dinner table. Also need to build a cover over the motorhome for the upcoming monsoon season. I'll have to take you up on that planner when its time.

Just asking. I’d come down and help for a giggle but not home for awhile.
Rig up an over head shackle and drag them up. How far are you trying to drag them?
Yeah all good! I have a stream down when that doug fir is, about 2.5ft. diameter and heavy, also soft and rocky in that spot. Need to get it out before the termites lay claim to it.

Would 60 feet of 1/2 inch free cable be useful?

Last edited:
Motorhome?

That's starting to sound pretty Griswold there old timer.

Have you not been training the chitlins to sleep on a bed of empty lucky cans in the back of a dodge? :flipoff2:
Griswold? Have you not looked up when walking towards that thing, or looked back when walking away???:flipoff2:
1572037701676.png

Jeebuz, you sure are getting sensitive in your old age! :crybaby::hillbilly:
Haha, naaah just heaping abuse.

Although the fact that it rained almost every day for the month and a half I had plates on a topless cruiser might be something of a sore spot. :bang:

I drive by a yard where some wood pirates live, and they have a s***ty old boat trailer with a pivoting arch across the back. I've seen them with some bigass logs levered up onto it.

Might just be the meth giving them superhuman strength tho.

I am thinking about building a log arch for my 18 foot car hauler + winch of course.

This is what the skids down the road have. Seems to work pretty well, they've had some pretty massive logs on there. Lots of driftwood too, which is gonna be great for someones chimney. :rolleyes:

meth arch 1.JPG

Actually tempts me to modify that ginpole I have to bolt to the back of my trailer.

That and a solid meth habit and there's nothing you couldn't move.
meth arch 2.JPG

Why don’t you rig a shackle to that rear roof bar on your truck and mount a deck winch.

Is that a hand crank winch plus one mechanical advantage? Or is there a little quad winch down by the frame?

Why don’t you rig a shackle to that rear roof bar on your truck and mount a deck winch.
Ah, not really the direction of force that thing is made for, at least not to that extreme. More so I can carry 16' lumber on a truck with a short little deck.

Logs are pretty brutal on equipment. Everything gets bent to s***. Those same guys used to have an old 70's ford 4x4. Faded pale blue, every panel bent, it was beautiful. I loved that thing, and I watched it gradually get hammered into the ground until they finally broke the frame on it, and now it's pushed into a back corner to rot.

I do plan to put a little lifting arm and a winch under the deck, but, probably not soon, and definitely not capable of lifting a 20' log.
Is that a hand crank winch plus one mechanical advantage? Or is there a little quad winch down by the frame?

I think they just have the hand crank on there...but I'm not really sure. Does kinda look like a little yellow winch down on the frame, but I don't like appearing to "snoop" around that yard. Bit sketchy even by cedar standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom