Is this the right 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

97 FZJ80 said:
Without leather/running board/third row seat, this rig is in the same market competing with the $4k Surburban baby bus.

You mean all the stuff that people immediatley take off/cover the first week?

I paid a 4200.00 for my 91 with a 138,000 miles on it. She is nice but doggy as I've heard all 3FE's are. Gas mileage can hurt a bit, but people sure don't get in my way when I'm going down the road. I negotiated mine down 800.00 you should be able to do better than that, then it won't be that bad of a deal.

Swank,

I checked oout an emerald green '93 with 116k at my local Toy dealer yesterday. One owner, clean, gray interior, no rips, lockers (although the front one din't want to engage), clean birfs no clicking, no rust on body or frame and no dings. No factory roof rack and has running boards. Idles a little high on startup, but after a min or two settled down to about 900rpm. I talked with the manager for a bit and got him down to just above 7K. If you're interested, grab a cheap one-way flight to Chicago, crash for the night (I'll take ya out for a beer or two), and drive it back. Very nice IMOP.

Rob

lowtideride said:
hey, i got my eye on you!

Hehehe...

I'm going to wait a while on this one, let it sit in the AutoTrader for a little while and see where it goes. The actual price is $6750 - I figured I'd up it a little just for good measure - I figured if I put it at $7k I'd only get a few "Talk 'em down to $3500!"s :D

It's over in Plano, so if I go to look at it, I'll PM you, John - maybe you can come look at it with me? Be my 80 series expert? :D

Here's the thing though - and it's abstract (want a peek into my abstract thinking? https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=54882 ) - which is really no way to buy a vehicle, but if I'm going to drive it, I've got to love it. First, if I can find a nice (enough) 80 for around $5-6k, I can keep my 60, not have the better half freak out about it, etc. The 60 is doing great right now; oddly enough, my oil consumption problem isn't such a problem right now since my last oil change (checked the oil at 150 miles and none was missing...) The AC is working okay, I've got some goodies on order for it...and I've got a little more carb tweaking to do, but I've almost got the idle smoothed out (still running a bit rich).

There are a couple of nice 80s here locally with below book prices. There's a '96 with 120k mile on it at one dealership for almost $11k, and a '97 with 140k miles for the same price. The one with 120k is in terrible shape though. Paint is good, but the interior is trashed, there's a ton of oil leaks, etc. I haven't looked at the other one, but it looks fairly clean. May head that way tomorrow to look at it when the dealership is closed. Both are black (don't really want a dark color. I'd like white or charcoal - again, I have to LOVE the thing...) But if I spend that on a newer one, I have to get rid of the 60. (actually, if I spend anything over $6k, I need to get rid of the 60 for practical purposes.)

So that's my story. The 80 is a maybe/maybe not deal. I really like the older ones. I like the T O Y O T A across the grill, the blocky interior (and no 'wood' trim) with the center diff locks, no roof rack, no running boards, plain Jane (with a sunroof) no air bags, no ABS...the auto transmission is not a great selling point for me, but you know, whatever...

Picky? I suppose so, but I don't get rid of cars. I still have my first car...and I really don't want to get rid of my 60 (that will change in a week, I'm sure).

Thanks for all of the input though. Rob, I owe you and 3pits a PM.

Oh, and if anyone wants links (MARK!) for the 80s that are in the 10k range in this area, let me know and I'll pass them along (there's another '97 with 188k for $9988, too...all of them are black...) --and of course there's 2 62s, one is riddled with rust, but they painted over it, both have about 190k on them and the owners want about $9k each. What is up with those 62s???

Here's the one I orig. posted about:
1680027276.187047841.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Swank - PM me offline. I seriously doubt that this guy can get $6.7k for this vehicle.

swank60 said:
Hehehe...
It's over in Plano, so if I go to look at it,[/img]

There's your bargaining tool right there. Just tell the guy he's asking too much for nothing but a "Plano Land Cruiser".

I don't know if they made a "Moonglow Pearl" Cruiser in '91 but that color looks a lot like mine. Nice looking vehicle, just get 'em down the price.

FWIW, the NADA average when I checked on mine was over 7000, even with the mileage mine has.

People in the cruiser community seem a little spoiled, and as you said, if its what you love, buy it and say to hell with the naysayers. :D

dude
i am a big defender of 3FEs and it is nice looking but that is too much to pay. the 97k is not low enough to prevent you having $1000 to spend in parts on that truck to baseline it . birf job, plugs, rotor, cap, leads, pcv, clean the t-body, filters, all the fluids... plus the finicky stuff

swank60 said:
Here's the one I orig. posted about:
1680027276.187047841.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

If that's a 91 (it's got 91-92 wheels) it's odd that the rear mud flaps do not have "Land Cruiser" in white lettering on them.

Asking $6750? That means you can take it home for $6K pretty easy if you wanted to. Take cash. Check it out, act like your on the fence about it, let him start talking.

I don't know what all of these people are talking about when they quote these low prices. Maybe it is for rigs that condition aren't that important considering intended use.

If it is uber clean, sub 100K, you could do a lot worse than an 80. 4Runners in great condition and low mileage bring that.

I looked at a lot of rigs, I think my market is a little higher than DFW. I'd hit it if it checks out.

Hand him the money ($6K, $5750, whatever), he won't hand it back.

Get out of the 80 section Swank :flipoff2:

I wouldn't pay over $3,500 for any 91-92. They are really cheap near buggerville if you want, let me know and I'll keep my eyes open for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom