Is this crank pulley repairable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on getting the engine back in order before bolting it back on the frame and I have a quick question...

D4B457D6-B990-4334-A346-F1A8CEC2C3FD.jpeg

Is this portion of the pulley weldable? If it’s not cast I may fill weld and grind it back to its original shape. Would this create balance issues that are better avoided?

I wouldn't bother, knock any problematic sharp edges smooth and paint. No one will ever notice or care.
My concern was balance...and it’s a frame up resto. I know this isn’t a W12 engine creating 1200hp, but if 20 minutes of work will fix it, I’m for it.

My experience with fixing pulleys consists of knock dents out. I can't say I've
ever welded one or seen a welded one. I guess I should have just kept my fingers still. If someone is going to beat you up for not having a perfectly like-new pulley/harmonic balancer they will find much more to beat you up on. Don't waste the time, in my opinion

It's called an 'Harmonic Balancer' for a reason ... ;) And if it fails at speed, adios crankshaft and neighbors... Just sayin'.

Two-pulley ones are available aftermarket.

Dayco PB1053N (I think) -- Also boxed as a Pioneer brand. Don't know if Toyota has it still or not. May be others as well as good used.

Perhaps @65swb45 has one ? (marksoffroad.net)

iu

Good part number. Filed away for any future need. Amazon $350; Summit $259; O'Reilly $337; Rock Auto $358 (Pioneer DA65. Had a DA65 I purchased from Auto Zone and it wobbled); Auto Zone $337.

For that kinda coin I’ll be looking for a used one. Didn’t realize they were so expensive. Thanks for the input everyone.

Purchased a used one from a "reputable" vendor here on MUD. The pulleys were separating from the balancer by 1/4", there were dents all around the edges which looked like it had been dribbled down a concrete floor and it wobbled enough to shake the whole truck. I sent it back and they determined (?) my installer damaged it and refused to give a refund. No names but they are on my personal s*** list!

Purchased a used one from a "reputable" vendor here on MUD. The pulleys were separating from the balancer by 1/4", there were dents all around the edges which looked like it had been dribbled down a concrete floor and it wobbled enough to shake the whole truck. I sent it back and they determined (?) my installer damaged it and refused to give a refund. No names but they are on my personal s*** list!

Oooof. PM please.

PM with photos sent.

It's called an 'Harmonic Balancer' for a reason ... ;) And if it fails at speed, adios crankshaft and neighbors... Just sayin'.

Two-pulley ones are available aftermarket.

Dayco PB1053N (I think) -- Also boxed as a Pioneer brand. Don't know if Toyota has it still or not. May be others as well as good used.

Perhaps @65swb45 has one ? (marksoffroad.net)

iu

Will this fit an "F" engine ??

You'd have to verify from the Precision (Dayco) website, but I *think* the F engines (single pulley) take a HB1051N although, FAIK, the double or triple should work as the crankshafts are the same, but you may have to get appropriate belts..

These used to be Aus made, boxed as Precision, but I believe they've moved production to ChiCom or Taiwan and have a few different brands. SOR still had some of the Aussie made ones about six months ago ...

FWIW also, these do not have the elastomeric (rubber) boundary layer like the OE, so supposed to be more durable... Right. Like anyone's gonna complain about the OE 40+ year service life.

Somebody may wanna ping this member: For Sale - BNIB 2f Powerbond Harmonic Balancer

s-l300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom