Is there a way to keep the center diff unlocked in 4 low? (like the 80 series “pin 7” mod) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried searching but couldn’t find anything. In the 80 you can unplug the 4 low position switch on the transfer case, or do the pin 7 mod. Anybody know how to do it in the 200?

I tried searching but couldn’t find anything. In the 80 you can unplug the 4 low position switch on the transfer case, or do the pin 7 mod. Anybody know how to do it in the 200?

To answer your thread title’s question:
Yes. You certainly drive in 4Lo without the center diff locked.
—Just don’t push the center diff lock button.
Tada! No center diff lock.
It’s off by default.

But the text in your post (as opposed to your title question) makes me wonder if you are referring to something other than locking/unlocking the center differential...?

To answer your thread title’s question:
Yes. You certainly drive in 4Lo without the center diff locked.
—Just don’t push the center diff lock button.
Tada! No center diff lock.
It’s off by default.

But the text in your post (as opposed to your title question) makes me wonder if you are referring to something other than locking/unlocking the center differential...?

In my GEN spec VDJ, the center diff automatically locks when you switch to 4Lo. Pressing the CDL switch does not unlock it. See video...

I have the same thing in my 2017 VDJ200. In 4-lo, center diff-lock automatically engages. I've never wanted to turn it off though. In fact, I often turn it on when I'm driving off-road in standard 4-hi as it will automatically disengage the ABS. I hate what ABS does to the feel of the brakes when driving/braking off-road.

I have the same thing in my 2017 VDJ200. In 4-lo, center diff-lock automatically engages. I've never wanted to turn it off though. In fact, I often turn it on when I'm driving off-road in standard 4-hi as it will automatically disengage the ABS. I hate what ABS does to the feel of the brakes when driving/braking off-road.

My ABS stays active even with the CDL engaged. I want to be able to go into 4Lo without the center diff locked not really for offroad, but for those times I have to go up or back into a really steep ramp or road, or going up the sidewalk. What would need a lot of throttle in 4Hi can be done with just a little throttle or brake modulation in 4Lo. I can let the car creep by itself even on a steep incline, but if the center diff is engaged it will bind up the axles if you turn the wheel.

I find it interesting that toyota decided to have the CDL act so differently in different markets. I rarely use mine in Low because as mentioned the open diff allows for tighter turning.. but if I’m on more difficult terrain all I need to do for that extra traction/stability is hit a button.

Actually.. do you guys have a 4Lo lever like an 80 or is the whole system push-button like ours?

I find it interesting that toyota decided to have the CDL act so differently in different markets. I rarely use mine in Low because as mentioned the open diff allows for tighter turning.. but if I’m on more difficult terrain all I need to do for that extra traction/stability is hit a button.

Actually.. do you guys have a 4Lo lever like an 80 or is the whole system push-button like ours?

I believe all 200 series come with the dial to engage 4Lo. Even the “poverty spec” model has it...

796B7724-7DBF-44D9-A811-BA8D0A14E0D2.jpeg

45BF830D-F792-491D-B3F2-B2D41F969805.jpeg

5F059FAB-FD2C-45A9-BB69-797BF2CD21F0.jpeg

In my GEN spec VDJ, the center diff automatically locks when you switch to 4Lo. Pressing the CDL switch does not unlock it. See video...

[/

EDIT: Looks mine is supposed to allow it in N, but mine never has. Only while in gear.
So...the info below shouldn’t be required.

Ah.
I see the problem now that I see your video of what you’re doing.
-(EDIT: On MY 200 I can only) use the CDL switch while in DRIVE...not while in park or neutral.
4Lo switches in park or neutral...but not CDL.

So...
-Get in 4Lo.
-Now start moving in drive...
-While moving in drive, press CDL.
-It should disengage (or engage if you want to turn it back on).
**Should beep one time to indicate it has switched either on...or off again while driving.

Markuson

Last edited:
Ah.
I see the problem thanks to the video.
-You must switch CDL while in DRIVE...not while in park or neutral.
4Lo switches in park or neutral...but NOT CDL.

So...
Get in 4Lo.
Now start moving in drive...
While moving in drive, press CDL.
It should disengage (or rerengage if you want to turn it back on).

Markuson

Not to add confusion, but...

In my 2013 LC200 I can engage both 4LO and CDL while in Neutral. In fact, that's how I "exercise" my system - stop on loose surface (like my gravel driveway), shift to Neutral, Engage 4LO, engage CDL, drive for a while, stop/Neutral/disengage CDL/switch to 4HI.

So... it is not necessary to be in DRIVE to engage/disengage CDL.

HTH

Not to add confusion, but...

In my 2013 LC200 I can engage both 4LO and CDL while in Neutral. In fact, that's how I "exercise" my system - stop on loose surface (like my gravel driveway), shift to Neutral, Engage 4LO, engage CDL, drive for a while, stop/Neutral/disengage CDL/switch to 4HI.

So... it is not necessary to be in DRIVE to engage/disengage CDL.

HTH

Interesting.
Mine is done only while in gear.
Perhaps mine needs the help of movement...but in my truck, it has always engaged/disengaged while moving.

I wonder if it’s a 2013+ change...compared to my 08?

Not surprising.
I always knew you are a bit different 🤣

Ha... :)
There were other trucks on Imogene that also needed to be in gear...so the plot thickens.
One thing is certain though—it should let you switch on/off while in gear, so still suggest the OP try it.

PS. to @gaijin ... I just checked my manual, and it does indicate that the CDL should be able to engage/disengage in N. So what you say is confirmed. BUT... Mine never has. So maybe it’s always been iffy on mine? Anyway...give it a try, @HRTROB . Perhaps it will work for you as mine does...or not.

Last edited:
Ah.
I see the problem now that I see your video of what you’re doing.
-You must only use the CDL switch while in DRIVE...not while in park or neutral.
4Lo switches in park or neutral...but not CDL.

So...
-Get in 4Lo.
-Now start moving in drive...
-While moving in drive, press CDL.
-It should disengage (or engage if you want to turn it back on).
**Should beep one time to indicate it has switched either on...or off again while driving.

Markuson

I’ve tried this, CDL still won’t unlock in 4Lo whether going forward or in reverse, just like in the 80. Does anybody have a wiring diagram of the transfer case selector and/or CDL switch?

I’ve tried this, CDL still won’t unlock in 4Lo whether going forward or in reverse, just like in the 80. Does anybody have a wiring diagram of the transfer case selector and/or CDL switch?

Can you engage/disengage your CDL while in 4Hi as normal? Or is it just not working in 4Lo?

Last edited:
Can you engage/disengage your CDL while in 4Hi as normal? Or is it just not working in 4Lo?

Yes, no problem locking/unlocking CDL in 4Hi

Yes, no problem locking/unlocking CDL in 4Hi

With it all electronically controlled via switch there can't be a wire that directly does what pin 7 does in an 80. The only switch I see for Lo-Hi in the EWD, external to the transfer actuator, is the selector switch itself. There are plenty of switches inside the transfer actuator but if these are interrupted I bet the whole thing won't work correctly. In the EWD I have access to it isn't clear which switch does what anyway.

One option may be to see whether a computer from a US market truck will plug in, since they are apparently built with different logic. I have no clue how cheap this would be.. certainly not the $0 of the pin 7 mod. For that you'd need to get access to EWDs from both to compare pins. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do this for you.

With it all electronically controlled via switch there can't be a wire that directly does what pin 7 does in an 80. The only switch I see for Lo-Hi in the EWD, external to the transfer actuator, is the selector switch itself. There are plenty of switches inside the transfer actuator but if these are interrupted I bet the whole thing won't work correctly. In the EWD I have access to it isn't clear which switch does what anyway.

One option may be to see whether a computer from a US market truck will plug in, since they are apparently built with different logic. I have no clue how cheap this would be.. certainly not the $0 of the pin 7 mod. For that you'd need to get access to EWDs from both to compare pins. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do this for you.

I just checked, the part numbers for the 4WD ECU are the same for a US spec and my GEN spec. There must be something else forcing the CDL to lock in 4Lo. Can you share photos of the 4WD EWD?

61024EB2-B07F-4F23-9D0B-26D173C2DDBE.jpeg

EA5A1734-DDDD-4844-A34D-80C5BFF5367D.jpeg

I just checked, the part numbers for the 4WD ECU are the same for a US spec and my GEN spec. There must be something else forcing the CDL to lock in 4Lo. Can you share photos of the 4WD EWD?

View attachment 2087188

View attachment 2087189
Interesting. Maybe there is some communication going on between the 4wd computer and the ECU. I didn’t see CANBUS but will have to look closer at the diagrams to see whether something else is going on.

I’ll try to get some diagrams, but am away from my computer for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom