Is the 80 the last Real Wheeler for civilians? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wheel%20travel%20buggy.jpg

That one Junk?????????

Here is what a g wagen looks like with a few mods. Supposedly this g was brand new and modded for a Russian offroad competition.

I like the was this g looks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/24087783

Andrew

I am surprised at the comments. Especially considering all of the pros for solid front axles in a post about a week ago. I agree that technology will allow for reasonable cost alternatives to the stock IFS in the 100's or whatever comes next. Concetied subject? Trying to figure that one out considering most of the posts here are about how great solid axle LC's are in backwood country. Was that a joke? I can never tell with Junk.

Shed, yeah, that's the one. Thanks. Now that is where thinking outside the box is taking us. Dang Shed, I knew you'd be usefull some day :flipoff2:

Jukel - naw the conceited comment was a little sarcastic, but not totally a joke. Yeah, everyone says IFS sucks, but to be candid, I've seen some good wheeling done by a 100 that had it. No it could not keep up with the 80, but it was also not modifiied at all etc. Yes, it could take more work to get itthere etc, but we can't say the 80 is the last wheeler or even better than the 100. Given the option of the V8 w/ IFS or the 1FZFE w/ solid axle, it would be a tough choice if both cost the same. I'd end up with the 80 I'm sure, but still a close call. Just saying that the only time we can say last wheeler is when the greenies take away all the land.

You are all lucky because you have a very big market in the USA and so a large stock of 80's. Here we are really limited and I can see the time when we have no other choice than to drive a 100 because there will be no 80's any longer available.

So I am lucky to have one of the last 80's and will buy a 100 soon for mall cruising :slap: or better a LX 470 Cygnus. The other problem is that I have not seen a LX 470 here that wasn't white in color :-\

You will still be able to look for a nice 80 when Asiamike is already driving with IFS for a long time. :'(

Mike

AsiaMike, no worries there dude. Although it would really suck to have to buy white :flipoff2:. We can't buy new 80's any more. Only the 100's and soon something else. OZ is the lucky country, excluding the fact they get stuck with Shed Guy. They have plenty to choose from. While the US is a big market, for one reason or another, Toyota does not seem to really want to bring in more options for us. Maybe it's a US Govt thing, maybe it's Toyota or maybe a combo, but we don't get much to choose from. That said, I think we do get though is still decent.

What is the difference between the new GX470 and the new Forerunner other than the pretty stuff and the $$$?

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94137#msg94137 date=1074809237]
I thought the H1 had IFS. I remember reading about the special IFS design?
[/quote]

Correct, plus it has IRS! I had a coworker who purchased a surplus USMC HMVV...he was repairing it all the time. Acceleration was 0-60mph in 30 sec, got 12mpg (diesel). The spare weighed 90 lbs, so he had to devise a winch/pulley system to hoist the spare onto the carrier. I'd guess the slow 105 w/ 1HZ would walk all over it. The IFS/IRS design, I believe, is really for desert situations (sand), where IFS/IRS excels.

[quote author=tucker74 link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94167#msg94167 date=1074811475]
Mega Cruisers rule - to bad we'll never get to own one :'( I saw a '93 for sale on a Japanese classified site once - think you could tell customs it's a H1?
[/quote]

Look at the left-side rear wheel...doesn't the angle kind of suggest it might have some kind of 4-wheel steering, or is that just from a live axle pivoting?

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94293#msg94293 date=1074831246]
It would be great if they put a Cummins Turbo Diesel in it. :D
[/quote]

I think Toyota's diesel engines are all made by Hino, builder of buses/heavy trucks. My father-in-law's Toyota Dyna 4wd flatbed is a rebadged Hino (everytime I see it, I think it would be a great vehicle w/ a crewcab...chassis is basically a beefed-up 80 w/ part-time 4wd)...says Toyota tried to make diesel engines, but they sucked. The design life of the Hino's is 20 yrs of commercial use. OTOH, a full-sized pickup w/a cummins TD would have a parts availability advantage in N.A., not to mention name recognition.

As some have stated, everyone was saying that the 80's where nothing more then a mall ute. Combine that with the expense of a new 80's, not many took them seriously. Now look at us......longing for that last '97 with factory lockers, leather, A/C and broken CD player.

I think once the Colorao State Police call Christo to say they found an abandond and stripped one on the side of the road and the prices come down, we'll start see some real progrees. Either that or if those boys out in Iceland would make those kits available at a reasonable price so we can fit 44's under our 80's...At least you don't have to lift them just to fit 31's without rubbing like on a Heep Cherupkee.

No thanks Ditch. No icebandit stuff for me. Stuff may look nice for it's intended purpose, but I just don't dig it.

Agree on the stuff about 80's being considered mall cruisers though.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94772#msg94772 date=1074922000]
No thanks Ditch. No icebandit stuff for me. Stuff may look nice for it's intended purpose, but I just don't dig it.

Agree on the stuff about 80's being considered mall cruisers though.
[/quote]

Junk,

you agree with somebody. Are you sick :D

Mike

By the way, the G Wagen will go away in a couple of years, to be replaced by a new ML-something, which will likely have IFS. The G will probably climax in a V-12 AMG version. Should be plenty in the used market by then, though. Can't wait til they hit the 30's and 20's. :D

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94271#msg94271 date=1074829182]
Like this one?
[/quote] An ute version of this FTX might be a LC140 for North American market. ::)

Solid axles...
Still better... Why ? less parts to break or wear out.
This is where reliability on the trail comes in too.

From a basic geometric idea though, the IF&RS setups should or could be a better set up to wheel with if properly set up for it.
Including more ground clearance at the diff. But like Junk and others here comment, it does have great possibilities here. Yeah, i saw that on the Pirate board too. Way out of the box and more important functional for the intended use.. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom