1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the 80 the last Real Wheeler for civilians?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Jukelemon, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

I had a thought late last night that if the trend continues with IFS, most, if not all, 4x4's will end up being IFS designed. Even the trucks are moving toward this e.g. my new Dodge Quad 4x4 has IFS. I really have not seen any attempt, besides maybe the Rubicon (yeah I know but it is fact) to market a true Off Road vehicle. I saw the pics of the new 120's and, in my opinion, they are hideous. I assume they have an IFS system as well? Anyway, if this is the case, will the 80 mark the end of the Off Road LC? Oh, I am not discounting the 100's ability on some terrain, but I think the majority agree that IFS hinders off road ability on rough terrain.

2. uzj100

uzj100

2004 Mercedes Benz G Wagen
    3 Locking Diffs
    Solid Front and rear axles
    Coil Springs

In about 10 years these things will be all over the trails as long as you can hack the computer control systems.

3. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

Are these the new imports that run 80k?

4. uzj100

uzj100

Yes. However the 2002 models are already selling in the $40's and dropping fast.

5. Darwood

Darwood

[quote author=uzj100 link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94101#msg94101 date=1074805362]
    [/quote]

I just wish they weren't so freaking expensive.

The 120/GX470 is based on the 4runner frame so yes IFS. I bought my FZJ80 since there isn't much at all being produced that is affordable that compares. The closest to it is a Land Rover Disco which also has body on frame construction with solid axles. The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is also good with Dana 44's front and rear with lockers but the storage space is limited.

6. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What about the H1? Yea damn expensive and huge, but still marketed for offroad.

What about that Tahoe w/ a funny lookin body and Hummer written on it? :flipoff2:

-Matt

7. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

I thought the H1 had IFS. I remember reading about the special IFS design?

8. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[quote author=80and100cruisers link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94126#msg94126 date=1074807941]
    What about that Tahoe w/ a funny lookin body and Hummer written on it? :flipoff2:

-Matt
    [/quote]

:pHAH2HA :p

T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color]

9. shocker

shocker

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94137#msg94137 date=1074809237]
    [/quote]

H1's are completely independent, front and rear. They aren't off-road rigs in the rock-crawler sense of the word, they were designed and are built for higher speed desert running. Think BAJA or SCORE racers.

10. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    [quote author=Jukelemon link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94137#msg94137 date=1074809237]
    [/quote]

HMMWV or HUMMER has IFS and IRS. To AM General's credit, it is also fitted with portal axles and inboard brakes. The HUMMER were first fitted with CTIS before the HMMWV added that feature. It is really great to be able to inflat/deflat your tires at will.

MegasCruiser has similar configuration PLUS 4WS.

John

11. shocker

shocker

[quote author=uzj100 link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94101#msg94101 date=1074805362]
    3 Locking Diffs
    Solid Front and rear axles
    Coil Springs

In about 10 years these things will be all over the trails as long as you can hack the computer control systems.
    [/quote]

At the risk of getting into the Chit-Chat realm, here's a link to some G500's in Moab:
    http://homepage.mac.com/brentholm/PhotoAlbum9.html

G500's have been around for close to 30 years and have been gray-marketed in the U.S. for a while now. Here's a G BBS with some pretty cool modded up ones in some threads:
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?setcookie=1&fid=30&DisplayType=threaded

12. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

No. There will be a sequel to the 80 series. G500? You need to start saving some money now for maintenance. :D

13. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Mega Cruisers rule - to bad we'll never get to own one :'( I saw a '93 for sale on a Japanese classified site once - think you could tell customs it's a H1?

14. the shed guy

the shed guy

I think firstly,
    you cant really compare production IFS [cheap to produce, easy to adjust] with whats good and whats not, Most people now carry the "urban myth" of IFS and IRS through the poor designs of hiluxes and pajero's, even the 100 isnt great design, and the whole concept suffers in the public eye because of this. Look at off road racing for instance, they know IFS handles what is required, and they can make MASSIVE travel from IS, some trucks with 32" and 38" front and rear travel.

though the fact Walker Evans has built an IS comp truck, and doing another, and some other Rockcrawler guys doing the same, I think you will find once IFS has the amount of time live axle has had in development, and parts become more available that alot of things will go the IS route.

THis is one of the reasons I went this way early, as live axle had lost any challenge after the last few trucks I built, so was time to see what was out there, and see what could be done.

The adjustablity after a lift to factory settings or better, the on road handling, and longer trips the more direct and better feedback of the rack and pinion steering, as well as most 4wd trails here have been much nicer to drive with IFS I must say, and unless I was building a comp truck, wouldnt look at live axle for a car during the week, and trip/weekend wheeling vehicle again.

I am seriously considering the next day drive bush pig truck with IFS though, given some of the driving niceties, it has.

[​IMG]

15. 96Cruiser

96Cruiser

Media:
    OK ill bite, what/why do we have to hack the computer control systems?

inquiring minds want to know :D

doug(who never thought he could afford an 80 series,so watch out ,he likey the g500 mucho mucho)(boxy design reminds me of my first 4x4,a 1st gen isuzu trooper)

16. xl715

xl715

I heard through a high up in corporate at Toyota, that there are serious plans on the board to introduce a FULL size truck. This would make the Tundra a midsize and the tacoma a compact. He said there are romours of a v-10 and solid axles ft and rr, to compete with the domestic market in the U.S. as far as towing and payload go. I say bring it on Toyota, nothing better then seeing a Toy pull out a stuck ford!! ;}

17. the shed guy

the shed guy

18. Junk

Junk

Pretty darn conceited subject title, but that's just my view. :flipoff2: :D

80 = last wheelers? hardly.

Just remember, up till a few guys started taking their 80's in the woods, most folks considered the 80's not wheelable. Too expensive, too Tylerish [​IMG] . Running boards, leather seats, cupholders, climate control. 40', 55, 60 series and everyone else never thought they'd see an 80 doing hard core stuff.

The 100 is a good truck. It's no car. yeah, it has IFS, but you can swap it out - remember the first few folks that were considered nuts when they started doing SAS's on mini's? Considering how many 100's are being taken on the trail, I'm impressed by them so far.

The Gwag is a solid truck. Had a deposit on the G55 till I lost my job. Was going to be the sqauwmobile. For now she sticks with her car.

Think about it. Every day, folks are pushing the envelope further and coming out with new designs like that dude with the whached out suspension we saw on Pirate about 9-12 months ago (Woody or Gumby, you guys have a link to that to post? The one (can't even figure out how to describe it) where the entire corner of the truck would climb the rock, almost like an IFS but x 1,000 - it had some huge rotating arms on it - hopefully you know what I mean.

Bottom line is that folks will continue to figure out what they need to do in order to wheel. We are simply one small speck in the line of wheeling.[​IMG]

19. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=xl715 link=board=2;threadid=10505;start=msg94252#msg94252 date=1074826855]
    I heard through a high up in corporate at Toyota, that there are serious plans on the board to introduce a FULL size truck. This would make the Tundra a midsize and the tacoma a compact. He said there are romours of a v-10 and solid axles ft and rr, to compete with the domestic market in the U.S. as far as towing and payload go. I say bring it on Toyota, nothing better then seeing a Toy pull out a stuck ford!! ;}
    [/quote]

It would be great if they put a Cummins Turbo Diesel in it. :D

20. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Like Junk sez. I remember, not too long ago, when 80s were plastic, mall junk. Not worthy of the cruiser name. How could Toyota desert us. blah, blah, blah.
    now many recognize that the 80 is the best out of the box wheeler Toyota has ever made.
    many of the 4 wheeler mags rated the GX and the new 4-skinner as better off road vehicles that the H2 or the Rubicon.
    If you're stuck in the 70's and happy with leafs and carbs and stuff, that's good for you, but there's more out there if you keep an open mind to new technology.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">