Is rust a concern in these (like 100's)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it's always a "concern" but as I've been looking at the a 100-series, I started considering 200-series. The 100's, if they had spent any tine in the "salt belt", seem to be prone to serious rust issues. Do the 200's have the same concern?

Sure, I'd check anything I'm serious about carefully but wondering if there was something different about the 100's frames, etc that made them especially prone to serious rust/rot issues.

Thanks!

I know it's always a "concern" but as I've been looking at the a 100-series, I started considering 200-series. The 100's, if they had spent any tine in the "salt belt", seem to be prone to serious rust issues. Do the 200's have the same concern?

Sure, I'd check anything I'm serious about carefully but wondering if there was something different about the 100's frames, etc that made them especially prone to serious rust/rot issues.

Thanks!
My 2017 has no rust, but a lot of the 2008s I looked at in the rust belt were rough

Yes. I looked at about a dozen LC200s, including many certified ones, that were very rusty underneath. The telltale sign is the rear hatch latch mounting bolts. If that area has any rust at all, then underneath was rusty.

None of the ones I saw were horrific with chunks falling off, but I was only looking at 2016+ LC and 2018+ LX. Most of the ones I looked at were 2020+. There was one 2020 LX 570, certified /L, and I was absolutely blown away at how bad it looked underneath. The interior was mint though.

Yes. I looked at about a dozen LC200s, including many certified ones, that were very rusty underneath. The telltale sign is the rear hatch latch mounting bolts. If that area has any rust at all, then underneath was rusty.

None of the ones I saw were horrific with chunks falling off, but I was only looking at 2016+ LC and 2018+ LX. Most of the ones I looked at were 2020+. There was one 2020 LX 570, certified /L, and I was absolutely blown away at how bad it looked underneath. The interior was mint though.
Thanks j404. I’ll continue to look for good ones that aren’t solid black with undercoating. I’ve been scared away from rigs with any undercoating. I suppose if the right one presents itself, I could take to a body shop and have it thoroughly vetted. I really don’t have time to deal with much these days so needs to be clean.

I could wear-down after too much of this searching and just keep renting cars on the East coast or get something new. There is just too much information out there and certainly people focused only on finding the best stuff and snatching em up as their job. No such thing, anymore, as a tight knit small community of enthusiasts where you learn and trade honorably among a small group…vs this craziness today. Ha. Yeah, I’m an old crumudgeon!

Last edited:
Thanks j404. I’ll continue to look for good ones that aren’t solid black with undercoating. I’ve been scared away from rigs with any undercoating. I suppose if the right one presents itself, I could take to a body shop and have it thoroughly vetted. I really don’t have time to deal with much these days so needs to be clean.

I could wear-down after too much of this searching and just keep renting cars on the East coast or get something new. There is just too much information out there and certainly people focused only on finding the best stuff and snatching em up as their job. No such thing, anymore, as a tight knit small community of enthusiasts where you learn and trade honorably among a small group…vs this craziness today. Ha. Yeah, I’m an old crumudgeon!

The hardest part is finding one.

The hardest part is finding one.
As someone who grew up in Minnesota; where rust is on top of rust. Yuk.

Now living in CALIFORNIA, I say, go west young man. It seems rust is the only thing that is outlawed here. None on my 80 series, if there was, I'd blame it on my trips to Montana!

In all seriousness, getting a rust free beast IS TOTALLY worth it.

Good luck in your search

As someone who grew up in Minnesota; where rust is on top of rust. Yuk.

Now living in CALIFORNIA, I say, go west young man. It seems rust is the only thing that is outlawed here. None on my 80 series, if there was, I'd blame it on my trips to Montana!

In all seriousness, getting a rust free beast IS TOTALLY worth it.

Good luck in your search
For sure. When I’m in CO, it’s not a bad drive down to NM or UT or even AZ if I see one that’s native to those areas, and others, I’ll get on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom