Is a March 2017 premium w/45k miles coolant valley issue covered by 6yr/70,000mi drivetrain warranty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll find out when I take it to the dealership on Monday. I saw some pink crust in the area of the front u-joint and the reservoir is empty.

Should be, even when changing owners. Hopefully that's the only issue.

@Direwolf333 which front u joint did you see the leaking? Just bought a '16 with 49K and had it inspected independently with no issues, but noticed today that the reservoir is empty which is making me paranoid.

@Direwolf333 which front u joint did you see the leaking? Just bought a '16 with 49K and had it inspected independently with no issues, but noticed today that the reservoir is empty which is making me paranoid.
It won't be leaking from the u-joint. It may just be dripping in that area and the pink residue is left. Climb under the rig and have a look. If the valley plate is leaking you can usually see it while under the rig. You'll see pink residue, mostly behind the bellhousing but it was very noticeable for me. Some have had the leak and it all stayed up around the valley plate and you really couldn't tell except that they were losing coolant. If you're reservoir is empty I would start looking.

It won't be leaking from the u-joint. It may just be dripping in that area and the pink residue is left. Climb under the rig and have a look. If the valley plate is leaking you can usually see it while under the rig. You'll see pink residue, mostly behind the bellhousing but it was very noticeable for me. Some have had the leak and it all stayed up around the valley plate and you really couldn't tell except that they were losing coolant. If you're reservoir is empty I would start looking.
Thanks - nothing that I can see. I refilled the tank to about half and will keep an eye on it. I didn't check it initially on purchase since the inspection didn't note it but now wishing I did.

All past services have been at the lexus dealer so I would've hoped they would've caught it if this was something already happening. Hopefully it's not something that started recently.

Either way for now I have the extended warranty that I should be able to use, was going to cancel it.

If it was low at inspection, I am very surprised it wasn't noticed. That's one of the primary areas to be inspected during a pre-purchase inspection, is to check ALL fluid levels!

@calibrationx It's about a $1500 repair at a shop and a little higher at a dealer from what has been reported on MUD. Weigh your options with that vs the cost of the warranty. You can DIY it for about $500 or so but it is a full day if not more to do it right. I would just keep an eye on the level in the tank and if it's dropping you have an issue.

If it was low at inspection, I am very surprised it wasn't noticed. That's one of the primary areas to be inspected during a pre-purchase inspection, is to check ALL fluid levels!
Agree. I called them up and asked about it and they said something about it being an expansion tank and not meant to be full but to keep an eye on it. Went to the shop based on the reputation but we'll see.

I bought it from echopark and apparently they do their own inspection as well so it's had at least two inspections recently plus one at the lexus dealer 5K miles ago.

Reactions: r2m
Currently dreading the same thing. 2017 with 79k, noticed the resevior tank low and filled to proper level. Bought as a CPO 2 years ago with 46k.

The one nearest to the engine. Fill the resivoir to the F mark when the engine is cold and keep an eye on it. Mine is repaired and I just drove 5 hours straight with no issues. The dealers say a lot but my our 2018 rav4 coolant resevoir was empty and my GX460 zerks had black paint on them which means they were never used before.

Well I filled it to half and it dropped below the minimum today after just some short around town trips. I don't see any visible leaking though - perhaps will take it into the dealer to get it checked.

Reactions: r2m
Well I filled it to half and it dropped below the minimum today after just some short around town trips. I don't see any visible leaking though - perhaps will take it into the dealer to get it checked.
Have you popped the cap on the radiator to make sure it's full? And have you crawled under to see if you see pink residue?

Yeah, no residue underneath. Dealer did a pressure test and found no leaks...I'll keep an eye on it.
Yeah, the coolant is going somewhere. Some didn’t find anything until they started tearing it down for the coolant valley leak. It was staying just outside the valley and evaporating before it could make its way down to where you could see it. I think they said they may have been able to see it with a borescope.

So the resivoir never stopped loosing coolant and after a road trip I found coolant in the engine bay. Lexus replaced some hoses and the radiator under warranty. I hope I'm good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom