IPF, Hella, PIAA, Lightforce and KC???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been researching spot/fog lights to place on my ARB Sahara bumper. I know there are several brands out there but there does not seem to be a clear winner on who makes the brightest and best lights. When I say best I am referring to being able to withstand the elements and work. Of course bright is the main goal but am unsure if I want them to spread or have a tighter beam. I haven't had lights on a vehicle for about 20 years. I had them on my Wrangler years ago and they rarely worked. Aggravating as crap.
The use will be for trail riding, going through my hunting grounds at night and sometimes traveling on back country roads.
What are the do's and don'ts with these brands?I do know I do not want obnoxious huge lights sticking out the front. There are so many models of the various companies that it is making it a little hard and confusing after awhile to differentiate.Heck some companies stay their lights are 85 watts but also claim they may be 115 watts.

KC Lights were the original company found in the early '70s and every other brand is a copy, thus, are not allowed to be bought according to ih8mud :)

KC Lights were the original company found in the early '70s and every other brand is a copy, thus, are not allowed to be bought according to ih8mud :)

Yeah, anything other than KC sickens me.

Whatever you get, make sure that they are deep enough for an H3 HID bulb. HID conversions wipe the floor with anything containing halogen. Plus doing the job yourself will save you about $300.00-600.00. In other words pick your favorite brand (I happen to like PIAAs), make sure you have the right lens type (flood, spot, all terrain pattern, Euro) and get a medium-grade 6 or 7 inch lamp. Pay an additional $55 for the HID kit and prepare to turn night into day!

..or you can do the Brock thing go all the way super-bling.

Also...Search Craigslist and eBay, There aren't many parts to a light and most of the problems that do turn up are because of shoddy workmanship in the home-brew wiring. I just purchased a set of PIAA 520s off of craigslist for $50 (retail: $150.00 - 200.00). I spent about 30 minutes cleaning them up and they work like new. Just stay away from rust and you can save 50-80%.

Last edited:
$75 for the lights, $35 for an HID kit from DDM... its a 1 hour job and you can reuse the oem wiring if you use a relay with an inline fuse

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...-700-hid-conversion-utilizing-oem-wiring.html

...or else pay $743.76 for two PIAA RS600s (Amazon.com: PIAA 8006 RS600 6" HID Single Shock Lamp: Automotive).

Honestly, I think what LJ did is the best bang for the buck. I have HID lows and I can barely tell when I have my fogs on as all they do is weakly illuminate the area above the cut off on the HIDs.

Last edited:
...or else pay $743.76 for two PIAA RS600s (Amazon.com: PIAA 8006 RS600 6" HID Single Shock Lamp: Automotive).

Honestly, I think what LJ did is the best bang for the buck. I have HID lows and I can barely tell when I have my fogs on as all they do is weakly illuminate the area above the cut off on the HIDs.

DAMN! $743?!?! I was supposed to go with the lightforce but the HELLA and HID conversion combined was cheaper than the lightforce 240's

240's are around $250? At that price I can retrofit HID's into all four of my HELLA700's:popcorn:

I’m a big fan of the Hella Rallye 4000 and then convert them to HIDs. You can pick these up for $105 each on Amazon. When you are done it’s a 150.00 dollar HID light in an all metal housing. There are a ton of HID retro fit write ups on these on the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom