Intermittent ABS Light, Intermittent Differential Lock light, Speedo needle bounce and Transmission Slippage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As an FYI for the community

For the last few months I've been experiencing the above. At first intermittently then more regularly. No flashing "O/D Off" light so, while the tranny was slipping no factory indicator that it was a bad solenoid(s), I couldn't find a thread with all of these symptoms so I'm submitting this for the community.

In reading through multiple threads I found a reference to an electrical connector which is visible above the starter. Not a lot of detail just that if the transmission is slipping one should check this connector for loose wires before replacing the shift solenoids. Sounded reasonable so I took it to my trusted mechanic and asked that he check it out. His discovery, the connector was just fine, however, some of the wires headed out of the connector, towards the firewall were rubbing on the firewall and were showing copper. Thus the intermittent nature of the dash lights and transmission slippage - bare wire to metal equal shorting and bad juju. Bare wire off metal equal normal operation. Solution, individually heat shrink each of the bare, and also wearing, wires. For good measure he split an old section of heater hose, slipped it around the damaged section and zip tied it into place to protect the harness from the firewall and further damage. Two days later, flawless operation, many dollars saved and happy operator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom