Installing factory roof racks on LC100 body without roof rack mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I have done quite a lot of search on whether it is possible to install the factory roof racks on a Land cruiser 100 that does have roof rack mounts from factory but haven't found any info on this. To be clear I would be looking to create the holes in the roof etc but without risk of rust and leaks. Does any one know whether this is advisable and if so where to do it (e.g. Toyota)?
I would like to install the factory roof racks rather than an after market.
Thanks, Chris

Hi,
I have done quite a lot of search on whether it is possible to install the factory roof racks on a Land cruiser 100 that does have roof rack mounts from factory but haven't found any info on this. To be clear I would be looking to create the holes in the roof etc but without risk of rust and leaks. Does any one know whether this is advisable and if so where to do it (e.g. Toyota)?
I would like to install the factory roof racks rather than an after market.
Thanks, Chris

Have you looked under the trim on your roof? I realize that your 100 may be a different spec than the US but I thought they all had the holes drilled for roof rack mounting locations.

Have you looked under the trim on your roof? I realize that your 100 may be a different spec than the US but I thought they all had the holes drilled for roof rack mounting locations.
Thanks that is very useful info. I actually don't have a LC100 yet but am looking for one. Most are without roof rack here hence the question. I hope they will be the same construction as the US and have the roof rack mounts.

I would hope all UZJ100 / 105 chassis vehicles have the four sets of roof mount threaded inserts per side there.

Piece of advice whatever you come across DO NOT remove just one bolt (of the set) at a time, be sure and loosen one and then loosen the other or you greatly increase the risk of dropping one and then you have to remove your roof liner.

I have a UZJ100 2000 year model NA spec rig.

Removed my roof rack yesterday and found this! Turns out quite a few of us in NA find some water sitting on top of the bolt heads inside the center mount.

On the right side center mount the front bolt head was COMPLETELY rusted off! I was using a magnetized Wiha handle and bit and all the rusted bits just kept coming out looking like rusted little flower blooms on the end of my T40 bit.

Thankfully after soaking both with PB Blaster (like WD-40) the rear one came out but I ended up needing to use large channel lock pliers and snapping the plastic off the front one and then was able to remove the bolt that way!
Praise the Lord not rust or anything on the threads. So whatever the thread sealant was Toyota used it works perfectly!

At this point I put some M8 screws with washers in the holes but realized I need to remove the black metal original sealing plate pieces and probably look into just getting a full length roof rack and go from there.

I‘m also thinking of taking a heat gun to all the white clips in the channels and removing them so I can really clean everything out and start from a “clean slate” so to speak.

Also it seems Toyota uses a black rectangular stick on sealing plate that has a type of butyl sealing stuff on it and I wonder of it has no bolt hole in it and when they push the bolt through it it forces it into the threads as every single thread on all 12 bolts were clean as can be!

I’ll dig further I to this.

5CA6ACEF-90AC-4FBE-833E-87E0EFAD5426.jpeg
41F32284-E493-4121-962C-5479BCB3127E.jpeg
35A71301-CF73-4FC2-AC9E-3D920F977C34.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom