Installed Tough Dog Lift for 5th Gen 4R w/Adjustable Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all - I'm normally hanging out with the 80 Series crowd, but this weekend I gave my wife's 4R some love in the form of a lift, so I figure a post here is in order...

The lift is a Tough Dog kit that Jason @ Trail Tailor (@reevesci) set me up with for my wife’s 2011 SR5 4Runner. The kit consists of front coilovers, rear springs, and rear shocks. I consider the kit unique because all four shocks are adjustable (each has a 9-position dial), and the price is better than reasonable. I’m a big fan of the adjustable shocks after having spent the last 7 months or so thrashing about with adjustables on the rear of my ’97 80 Series (part of a TourFlex 3” kit).

Our 4Runner had about 58k miles on it when we bought it, and it has about 75k now. The stock suspension seemed to be working as good as new, had no perceptible slop anywhere, was a comfortable ride, and I have absolutely hated the way it handles from day one. IMHO, “wallow and dive” best describes the factory ride.

I installed the lift in my driveway by myself, starting on Friday night after work, and finished on Saturday around noon. Everything went well…no surprises, very straight-forward.

Observations after a mild test flogging:
  • Pre-break-in height difference is about +2 3/8” at each corner.
  • Test drive was super smooth. No squeaks, creaks, clattering…nada.
  • At the #1 shock setting, the ride felt only slightly less plush than the stock suspension, yet handling was much more controlled. Wasn’t diving into the bump stops at every brake check. A bit soft for town driving but would be great for the trail.
  • At #5 & 6, the ride was perfect for DD use around town. A firm yet compliant ride, what it should have felt like from the factory.
  • The #9 setting was dramatically different. Absolutely flat cornering, and so stiff it practically felt like it was riding on the bump stops. Very impressive that these shocks can change the ride so dramatically with an easy dial twist.
Anyhow, we are quite pleased. Incredible bang for the buck, and I’m happy to have found a way to support MUD vendor Trail Tailor using 4Runner funds.

Now we just have to get some real tires on the rig...

Cheers
- NorCal97

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I am anxiously waiting for my 120 kit. Hopefully it would arrive this week.

Hey @Jstawgn, did your kit ever come in? Is this your weekend for wrenching? Curious...

Not that it has been very long, but we're still stoked with our kit. Should be getting new wheels and tires for our rig this weekend, and anxious to see the results. When done, will post a pic.

@NorCal97, Yes I am planning to install mine this weekend. But I might be down a week or even longer. I am installing tacoma 4.3 front diff, elocker, upper control arm and a bunch of other stuff.

We run to a lot of trouble with UPS getting the suspension delivered. Signature required to residential always problematic for us. We ask them to hold at their facility to be pickup later that day. They promise to call us within one hour, And they never did. Next morning status say it would be delivered by end of days and got me scrambling to get home quickly. Waiting till 8:30PM and still not delivered. Call UPS again and they say it's been ready for pickup since yesterday. So I still have to pick it up after work tomorrow.

I been spoiled with adjustable suspension. It's so much more versatile when the load, terrain and even tire sidewall stiffness change. On my other car that run winter tire I always have to softens the damping during winter months to match the much softer sidewall That way my driving style change and remember not to take corner too fast.

Outstanding, sounds like a fine project! Ought to quite a transformation.

Sorry to hear of the UPS issues...what a frustrating PITA.

Ya, i have certainly become spoiled with the adjustables for the same reasons. Couldn't imagine going back to fixed-setting shocks.

Best of wishes with your build...I hope to be reading about it here soon!

I put mine in today. Need to do a lot more testing tomorrow. Initial impressions are really good. The load range E 255/80r17 Toyo Open County II are much better controlled. They feel a lot softer over a few certain expansion joint in my neighborhood that I drive every day.

I am putting off my other project temporarily. Need to work on the house first.

How'd the kit fare on the 120? Good feedback and option for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom