Inserted HID fog lights in stock bumper, on the cheap! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HID%20bumper%20inserts
I thought this might be interesting to some so here it goes, total cost was about $100 for the lights.

Picked up a set of these off ebay $39.99 shipped

MK1 UNIVERSAL FIT PROJECTOR FOG LIGHTS HID KIT READY

ebaylight.jpg

Also picked up an HID kit $62.99 shipped

HID Xenon Slim Ballast Kit H1 H3 H4 H7 H9 H11 9006 9007

The fog lights come with an H3 bulb which is not very bright, the hid made a huge difference. The cut off looks pretty sharp but am not an expert on projector lenses by any means, this is my first attempt at using them. The housing needs to have a hole drilled in the back for the ballast wiring to enter, a one inch step bit worked great for me.
drill2.jpg

drill.jpg

Pull out the H3 halogen and insert the H3 HID, may need to bend the clip a bit that holds the bulb in.
h3fit.jpg

hidfit.jpg

I used crimp connectors fir the negative feed, the positive spade connectors were fine the way they came.
connectpower.jpg

Now you should have something like this
readyforinstall2.jpg

readyforinstall.jpg

Now for the inserts, this is what i came up with for the mounts that came with the lights.

I had to grind down the bolt that came with the mounting kit in order to center the light inside the 2 1/2" muffler pipe I scored at the local shop, thanks guys:hillbilly:

groundmountbolt.jpg

lightmount.jpg

lightmount3.jpg

lightmount2.jpg

With that all worked out it was time to cut some holes in the bumper. TBC, I posted too many pics i guess:meh:

measure1.jpg

measure2.jpg

after trashing one hole saw
dullbit2.jpg

I opted for another route
helperholes.jpg

finishedhole.jpg

afterholes.jpg

After taking the bumper off and grinding the holes a bit to fit the inserts i tacked them in. These pics may not be in order:meh:
bumperweld.jpg

bumperweld2.jpg

bumperweld3.jpg

bumperweld4.jpg

bumperweld5.jpg

bumperweld6.jpg

bumperweld7.jpg

bumperweld8.jpg

bumperweld9.jpg

A little grinding
bumperweld11.jpg

A little Priming
primed.jpg

Some rattle can Rusto Semi-gloss black, easy touch up:hillbilly:
painted.jpg

Then back on the truck:clap:
mountedholeshot.jpg

mounted.jpg

Before HID
bothlightsprehid.jpg

After HID
fronthidatnight.jpg

Here are some shots while I was aiming them. My goal was to keep them at same level as the Low beams, keep in mind i have High beam HIR's in both high and low positions:hillbilly:

Just HID fogs
hid.jpg

HID + low
hidlow.jpg

HID+low+high
hidlowhigh.jpg

just low
low.jpg

low and high
lowhigh.jpg

Well that's about it, here are a few finished shots.
markernice.jpg

sideshotnice.jpg

frontshotnice.jpg

I think it came out pretty nice, I happy with the increased light output especially on the sides of the road. This only took me a weekend and alot of that time was watching paint dry, and scratching my head of course:hillbilly:

Last edited:
looks good. came out looking factory:cool:

Wow, nice clean job and I think the bumper color really finishes off the look of your 80.

Nice! :beer:

Beautiful! Looks factory, would be nice to have some like that in an ARB Bull Bar!:cheers:

that is a very sharp set up. Nice job.

Nice job there

:clap: That is a very cool and clean looking mod, job well done. :clap: :clap:

A question - why did you choose to set the lights so far back in the bumper, would you have gotten more light or wider light if they would have been out at the front edge?

Dan.

That looks awesome, great job!

Awesome!!!.....if you were closer, I'd dish out some major $$$ for that job!

:clap: That is a very cool and clean looking mod, job well done. :clap: :clap:

A question - why did you choose to set the lights so far back in the bumper, would you have gotten more light or wider light if they would have been out at the front edge?

With those HID bulbs and those lenses/projector housings, i found i could set them back about 3 inches before the beam pattern was obstructed. The beam pattern seems to be set by the factory "for now" i could experiment but would need to look into it

Dan.

wow..those look bright. nice clean work! sharp lookin truck ya got. how do you find those toyos on stock gears?

They feel pretty tame, not much worse than the 285's, i don't regert it:hillbilly:

Very nice! I like the look of the Lexus corner lights too!

Smoooth! Way to think outside the box. Congrats.

Very :cool: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom