Inner CV boots seeping: ok or when to replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders!

2008 4Runner 6-cyl w/ 150k miles. Original CV axles, I believe.

Inner CV boots are seeping grease, as you can see. I believe my mechanic has added grease and tightened the gasket in the past.

OK to leave as is if there are no other problems? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Charley

IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2195.jpg

Your mechanic probably put molybdenum based grease in your inner boots. Those joints are tripod roller style joints. They call for a polyurea based grease. That’s what comes in the Toyota boot kit.
8830E8CD-F8EE-4647-A8B0-702FD3C01724.jpeg
EA385D6E-DB3E-457B-839F-40EC38F7A2EC.jpeg
32800DC7-40F2-43EC-9FC9-60738908FEBE.jpeg
DB3F59B1-35D6-4F8D-BADF-7863D26B3387.jpeg

Thanks @fjc-man

Any suggestion about what to do now? I think I can read the part number on the bottle in the picture you posted.

Should I buy and add that to the boot?

In your second photo you have cracking around the base of the first rib, those boots are about to fail. Time for a reboot or replacement.

Thanks @fjc-man

Any suggestion about what to do now? I think I can read the part number on the bottle in the picture you posted.

Should I buy and add that to the boot?
If you’re doing the work, remove the old clamp and add an additional 6oz of grease with the pictured needle style tip to each boot/joint. Then reclamp with a worm drive style hose clamp. If you decide to replace the axles as complete units, you might have your mechanic tackle this job as it’s way more involved. To respond to the part # for the Toyota supplied grease, the only way you can get it from them is with the whole boot kit. That’s why I posted the picture of the grease equivalent I came up with. Soo, if you’re thinking of pulling the axles to replace the boots you might as well just install new axles while you’re in that deep.

Rebooting isn’t very difficult, but if you are paying shop labor you’re probably money ahead to replace the entire axle.

if you are DIY the job then rebooting is significantly less expensive, assuming OEM parts either way.

Super helpful. Thx folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom