Importing from the Middle East - FJ80 1996 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there,

I'm looking for someone who can assist with the import & DOT procedure of my trusty FJ80 1FZ-FE GX, 1996 so it will be 25 yr old soon.
It has a 6in lift and 35in tires and the plastic OEM fender flares have been removed.
Primary option is California, if too tricky can consider an other state.

Info or links for similar cases would be awesome, thanks mudders!

Sam

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 15.14.58 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 15.14.58 (3).jpeg

What kind of assistance are you looking for? Have you already made shipping arrangements and just need to get it cleared through Customs when it gets to the USA? If so, your best bet is to hire a Customs Broker--they'll handle it for you and it's not terribly expensive.

And it's no problem having the car arrive to a port in CA. Clearing it through Customs should be the same regardless of which US port you choose. Getting it registered for use in California is a whole other matter. That can be difficult or impossible.

What kind of assistance are you looking for? Have you already made shipping arrangements and just need to get it cleared through Customs when it gets to the USA? If so, your best bet is to hire a Customs Broker--they'll handle it for you and it's not terribly expensive.

And it's no problem having the car arrive to a port in CA. Clearing it through Customs should be the same regardless of which US port you choose. Getting it registered for use in California is a whole other matter. That can be difficult or impossible.

Thanks @gilmorneau,
Yes I guess finding a broker to deal with DOT & EPA paperwork to get it in is the easy part.
I was worried the DOT might give me some headache since it was lifted and had bigger tires.

I got feedback about the whole registration in California ordeal from @chelo (Catalytic converter...) but I thought since it was a +25yr vehicle, all this would be waived, any idea about that?

Thanks again.

Sam

I was worried the DOT might give me some headache since it was lifted and had bigger tires.

I’ve never had DOT complain about modifications like lifts or tires. I suppose they could, but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

but I thought since it was a +25yr vehicle, all this would be waived, any idea about that?

The US federal government via the EPA grants an exemption from federal emissions requirements for vehicles over 21 years old, but the States have their own emissions requirements, particularly CA. Being federally exempt has no bearing on the State laws. That is, even if a vehicle is federally exempt, you’d still need to comply with your state’s emissions requirements.

I saw a diesel j80 5 speed for sale for $17000 in my local CL with TX plates in April of this year. Cant believe I missed it.

I’ve never had DOT complain about modifications like lifts or tires. I suppose they could, but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

The US federal government via the EPA grants an exemption from federal emissions requirements for vehicles over 21 years old, but the States have their own emissions requirements, particularly CA. Being federally exempt has no bearing on the State laws. That is, even if a vehicle is federally exempt, you’d still need to comply with your state’s emissions requirements.

So I guess the real question is: How do I register a 1996 FJ80 - 1FZ-FE engine with all emission stuff removed or blanked (cat, O2sensor, evap stuff...) in California?
Is there anyone that can get it back to up to code?

Thanks,

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom