Importing from Nephew stationed in Japan

Daddy Rabbit

Sold 1999 LC 2005 LC Bone stock
SILVER Star
Hi.. My nephew is stationed in Japan and would like to bring something home with him on Uncle Sams dime. What do you guys suggest that he should be looking for? I think it has to be 20 years old if i'm not mistaken ..I am talking about a vehicle here:rofl:

25 years old.. everyone in japan has caught on the the 25 year rule now, so prices have sky rocketed on vehicles that are eligible for export. Its amazing what people will pay for rusted out high mileage vehicles.

But as long as his orders authorize a POV shipment why not take advantage of it.

Japanese used cars and Japanese imports | Goo-net Exchange Find Japanese used vehicles
Price are higher on here then what he could pay at a dealer.

He also needs to own the vehicle for a certain period of time before exporting via POV Shipment. Tell him to get with TMO before buying anything.

Daddy Rabbit

Sold 1999 LC 2005 LC Bone stock
SILVER Star
They're the ones that deal with shipping stuff for him. Household goods, unaccompanied baggage, vehicles, ect... He should know who they are. Might be called something different depending on what branch he's in though.
Thank you. Do you know how long he has to own it before he can import it?

Thank you. Do you know how long he has to own it before he can import it?
I'm not totally sure. It was a couple months from what I remember. It was to prevent people buying and flipping cars stateside. But that was four years ago when I was stationed in Okinawa. It may have changed.

I'm not totally sure. It was a couple months from what I remember. It was to prevent people buying and flipping cars stateside. But that was four years ago when I was stationed in Okinawa. It may have changed.
just recently (JAN/2019) the USAF stopped shipping of JDM vehicles. Sad day for the airmen.

just recently (JAN/2019) the USAF stopped shipping of JDM vehicles. Sad day for the airmen.
Truth. Im in the Marines but I saw the announcement come out not too long ago. I can't say for sure if it applies to the other branches of service out here, but luckily I got my cruiser shipment scheduled back in February before all of this happened. I hope it doesn't apply to all branches, so many folks have JDM vehicles bought specifically to bring back to the states.

BTW, pretty sure we work on the same base. I've seen your truck around plenty of times!

That really sucks if true.. i was wondering how long it would last for. I shipped mine 3 years ago and there was rumors about it then. 94 models can come back now right? That's when a lot of the sports car started getting really good. Hell i had to get an EPA exception for my dirt bike to bring it back..

Well guess people can put thier cola to good use and save for shipping on their own dime.

UPDATE: APRIL, 2019: Apparently the USAF has reconsidered this and is shipping vehicles again for those that did NOT choose to store a vehicle.
Thats good to hear. Your first post about this has had me curious the whole time. Hopefully no one missed out on the opportunity to import a JDM vehicle back to the states. Not to mention a financial hardship if they bought a nice car expecting to bring it back and had to sell because of that policy.

Top Bottom