Importing FJ45s from Mexico. What's it take?

Rainman

Resurrecting another Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
I've searched the past few years worth of importing threads here with nothing covering my question.

Anyone here know exactly what it takes to bring in an over 25yr old Cruiser into this country from Mexico? Then possibly get it up to Nashville, TN. Any assistance or experiences shared would be most helpful.

Last edited:

45Kevin

I've never imported a vehicle from another country, and I don't even live in your country but:

My understanding is vehicles not sold in the US need to be 25 years or older to import.
Is the LC you would like to import one that was sold in the US, complete with the same, unmodified chassis and engine?

Rainman

SILVER Star
FJ45s were sold in California in '65 and '66. All the 45s are almost exactly the same all the way up to '84. Only real changes were a slightly larger engine, seats, and a larger gas tank. "Similar" is ALL OVER these trucks. And every last one of them are over 25 years old.

45Kevin

So can I assume that by "over 12 years old" you mean 53 or 54 YO?

If so, it probably won't be a problem.
I believe that TN has fairly lax vehicle requirements.
Again, I'm just making a statement based on what I have read here on Mud.

Rainman

SILVER Star
That was a typo. (I tend to do that a lot.)

It's not the TN tax I'm worried about. It's the stinking 25% tax the US charges at the border. Cars are 2.5%. Trucks are at 25%. THAT'S INSANE!!

Living in the Past

SILVER Star

FJ45s were sold in California in '65 and '66.
The 45s were imported to the US including California 63-67. The LV 63-67. SWB pickup 63-65. LWB pickup 64-67. Believe a few 66 titled SWB pickups that believe were earlier titled later

Top Bottom