I'm officially back! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been lurking on the 200 series for awhile but posting more regularly the last few months. Tonight I made it official. My 2020 Black HE was delivered to the dealer today. I can't say I loved the price I ended up with, but all in all I couldn't be happier. Whether you like names or not I name my LCs. I've decided on Dark Phoenix. Phoenix because I have to believe that a little bit of my beloved FJ-62 Moby lives in my new 200. Dark because, well, I pretty much only wear black or very dark grey, and so the Black HE is what pushed me over the edge. And then, yes, child of the '80s and X-Men.

It's been a long time since I've had an LC. I went from knowing nothing about cars when I bought my FJ-62 to learning all aspects of repair and modification, learning to TIG weld because I needed a custom exhaust for my 2FE, which I learned how to modify and tune myself, to suspension tuning, to electronics and a full on board PC tied into the fuel injection and other sensors, to sheet metal work, etc. etc. See more of my work in the 60/62 sub forum.

It was quite a ride, and when the truck was destroyed I was too crushed to buy another LC. My GX 460 has treated me incredibly well, and it was fun working on Radflo shocks to get the suspension right. But it was time to get into another LC.

I looked long and hard for another FJ-62 to work on with my 11 year old. But everything was too much work for an 11 year old to keep interest in (success in these endeavors means quick payback cycles, and if the truck isn't going to run for a year, well, the father/son thing ends up petering out).

So my son and I decided on a new 200. I can teach him fundamentals - maintenance, dual batteries, electrical, lights, suspension tuning and he can enjoy the results of his work every weekend. Short work/reward cycle. High payoff.

Bad news is I can't pick up the 200 for a week. I'm leaving town and need to drive my GX (I'm a stickler for break in). So I bought the truck and they agreed to legally loan me back the GX for a week. Week from Sunday I go back to swap. They've assured me no one will drive the 200 except their master tech to do the new car check out.

This project will be much like my FJ-62 and GX. I mostly use these now to pre-run gravel and mtb ultra endurance race courses (which can be many hours of forest service road driving), get into the back country for skiing and backpacking and to split time between Bend, OR and Seattle, WA with family and Golden Retriever in tow. Little to no commuting or town. Low and light as possible. Big capacity, low lift suspension (~1" King or Fox, maybe external bypass on the rears because I'm geeky about suspension performance and want to try bypasses). BB AL skids and Slee sliders. 285/65/R18s (revo 3 or Terra Grapplers). Big lights for night driving at speed.

Bad cell phone pic:

DarkPhx1..jpg

Howdy! I've had my 2020 HE LC (also black...we're twins!) for a week now, picked her up on the 8th. Let the modding begin I guess...actually I should start a build thread. However, I have no idea where to start.

Congratulations on a great truck!

@Moby You need to come away from the dark side.

Lbridges HE Small.jpg

J/K - you have a very good looking truck.

BTW, I rather painfully learned the lesson you offered here with one of my boys and an old Mercury pickup

I started on the other side... :) The HE is beautiful in white as well. Either way, it's just good to be back.

1581743427901.png

View attachment 2211182

BTW, I rather painfully learned the lesson you offered here with one of my boys and an old Mercury pickup

If you don't mind me asking... Where did you get the front license plate delete w/ Toyota Land Cruiser script? We recently picked up a white HE and looking for something similar. Been able to find a similar delete but not one that matches the HE style...

If you don't mind me asking... Where did you get the front license plate delete w/ Toyota Land Cruiser script? We recently picked up a white HE and looking for something similar. Been able to find a similar delete but not one that matches the HE style...

Semi-homemade.

I got the emblem off eBay (here is a sample, but not from the place I got mine). It is mounted on a 1/4" thick piece of HDPE (brand name: Starboard) that I picked up from a local boat supply place. I bought a 6"x18" piece then cut it to the size that fits the space using regular wood working tools. I think final size was 4"X13.5". I can measure if it matters. I did have to drill some holes through the HDPE for the emblem mounting and for the screws that go through and into the existing plate mounting points.

FYI, I first tried a piece of white HDPE and it was a terrible color match to Blizzard Pearl, hence why I went for the black.

View attachment 2211182

LBridges, are those BudBuilt sliders? Step or standard? I have a pair set to arrive on Thursday for my white HE as well. If you have other pictures, I would love to see a preview of how my truck will look.

LBridges, are those BudBuilt sliders? Step or standard? I have a pair set to arrive on Thursday for my white HE as well. If you have other pictures, I would love to see a preview of how my truck will look.

Nope, sorry. They are from Jason at Trail Tailor. Don't know if he is still making them, but they have held up well. They were on my 2017 LC for almost three years before I pulled them off for trade-in and to put on the new HE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom