Illuminating and aftermarket switch from dash light circuit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a few words to round this out. Later model vehicles still use the same colors on illumination circuit, but work the same way by controlling the Ground with pulse modulation rather than reostat. Red 2 goes to factory Green (illum +); Black goes to factory White (illum -). This are very fine wires of about 24 AWG. if you see another Green in the plug, then it is not illumination. Also White-Black is common ground, use of such would eliminate dimming control. I found it was hard to get two color switch, example blue backlight and amber on indication. I made my own by changing out one of the diodes, 1st time I purchase dan amber switch and a blue switch then combined. Also note the diode polarity. While the CH4x4 and STEDI switches look almost identical, the circuit boards are mirrored and as to cross fitment, the notices in etc switch housing are a tiny bit different. As to an illumination source, i found and open plug in the harness to drivers door side switch panel, it was taped up (and not a clue what it was for, as i could not find on wiring diagrams anyways I pulled the illumination wires and daisy chained my additional switches.

This is what the SPST CH4x4 switch does inside, I confirmed with a meter and made a sketch prior to installing back then...

PXL_20230205_231310063.jpg

ILL is the switch background illumination, and IND is the indicator lighting.

This is what the SPST CH4x4 switch does inside, I confirmed with a meter and made a sketch prior to installing back then...

View attachment 3240239

Hey thanks, this will allow me to trouble shoot an issue that I have with one switch as a dimmer control that works by grounding the circuit, not powering it.

View attachment 3240239

Hey thanks, this will allow me to trouble shoot an issue that I have with one switch as a dimmer control that works by grounding the circuit, not powering it.

Yep, if there isn't power on the switch (on/off) side, the indicator won't light. I had to run a 12v relay behind the switch so that the indicator would light when I was using it to interrupt/lift ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom