Idiot YouTubber Teen Wolf's his roof to show how he loads a roof rack... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Again, nice video Jake! A couple of comments:
Be glad you didn't get the wire mesh rack top. If you were to use that with your come-along straps, you would wind up bending and deforming that wire rack when cinching down. Even if you were careful not to over tighten the straps, any wash board roads or big unexpected bounces would again wind up deforming that wire mesh and then your straps would be loose and you'd lose your boxes off the back.

I too have been looking at a gas campfire since most dispersed camping doesn't allow open campfires. I've have to look into that Little Red Campfire pit you have! I know it's usually only the four of you, how many people do you think can sit around something like that and still feel a little heat? Looking for something for our off road club camping, so there would probably be a bunch of us (10-12 maybe?). Looks like you give it a 5 thumbs up? Thanks for sharing that!!

The other thing you may consider is to replace one of your boxes with at least one Pelican (or equal) type of case for some of your gear. The reason is that Pelican cases are bear proof. I have a large one with wheels and extending handle that we have kitted with most of our camp site gear. When we're at our camp site and the Pelican case contents have been taken out and set up, we keep all our non-perishable foods in there at night and outside. The perishable foods stay in the fridge and in the vehicle.

Story time:
Yeah, you can keep all your food in your rig, but we've been camping over 35 years and have seen what bears can do. One year camping with a bunch of family, a cousin left his mini van window open about 1 inch. There was a birthday cake inside for the next day. That night a bear was able to get paws/claws in that crack, it busted out the window, went inside and made himself comfortable. He ate the entire cake and made a mess of everything else inside.

Tip:
When we used to keep our food inside the vehicle, we would use ammonia in a spray bottle and spray EVERY seam around EVERY door and window. Now we just spray around the Pelican case opening. In over 35 years of camping in high country, we have never had a bear problem.

Again, nice video Jake! A couple of comments:
Be glad you didn't get the wire mesh rack top.
Those are some great points on the mesh rack. I hadn't even thought of that. In that case, hell yes I'm glad I went T-slot. I love the straps now that I've got the self retractors.

Check out the Big red campfire. It's a few inches larger diameter and the lid is designed to be a podium for the pit so it sit's up off the ground which will bring the warmth up as well as keeping the dogs tails safer. It's the same form factor so it should be easy to roof mount it like I did with some pegs. The little one won't work for 10 people. It does great for 3-5. My next video is a review on the Little Red Campfire so I'll tell you all about it in a week or two.

Love the insight on bear proofing too. We don't have nearly as many here as there are in the Sierras so I have much thought into it. I have tons of Pelicans and never really thought about their bear proof-y-ness. We have a bear proof cooler we leave outside but usually keep the dry goods in the car. I might try a Pelican next time. Never heard of using ammonia either but it makes sense. Also does a great job of neutralizing bug bite venom if you use it pretty quick. That's all that's in those "itch sticks" I think.

Now that COVID is pretty much over for the vaccinated, if you're still thinking about a trip out here sometime and want to bring your club to run trails in the Sedona area, I'd love to come hang out for a day or maybe over night if you're still interested. I'd say late fall would be your best bet temp wise.

Now that COVID is pretty much over for the vaccinated, if you're still thinking about a trip out here sometime and want to bring your club to run trails in the Sedona area, I'd love to come hang out for a day or maybe over night if you're still interested. I'd say late fall would be your best bet temp wise.
This isn't one of those put-offs where one goes, "Oh, sure I'd love to (NOT) come on by and do some trails with you!!"
My wife and I truly would love to do that! Let's see how work and this Autumn pans out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom