ICON steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a search before posting this and so I felt like adding a little FYI to mud.

Needed to replace my OME steering stabilizer that's been on my truck since I purchased it in 2000. Finally feeling wobble when hitting bumps on the road and it appears this thing is just worn out, and it should be!

Thinking of upgrading my shocks to ICON's in the future I thought I would start with the steering stabilizer. Ordered it directly from ICON online to receive an email after the order that it was backordered for 4-6 weeks! Dang! Well that wasn't accurate since it showed up on my doorstep just a week later, nice surprise.

Penciled in some time this weekend to knock this project out. With some PB blaster I was able to sheer off one of the two bolts holding the OME stabilizer in place and properly remove the other bolt. Cleaned everything up and unboxed the new ICON. No bolts or hardware came with it... issue one. The non-destroyed hardware from the OME doesn't fit the ICON..... issue two.

Then there is a set of instructions that basically say if mounting this on OEM you will need crush sleeves for it to work properly. I thought well, certainly they have the hardware to mount this so I tried to call and they are closed on the weekends. Well that's cool, so is my company. So I emailed them. Received a reply today that I would have to build custom mounts to allow it to work since it was a universal unit.

That doesn't "feel right" to me as I'm sure the mounts are fine I just need to find the bolts and crush sleeves. But honestly I'm too busy these days to hunt that down and I just don't want to!

The long and short of it is this, the unit looks and feels top quality! I'm sure it is. If you want a custom, sweet steering stabilizer that is not bolt on, this thing looks sweet. If you are looking for a bolt on application, this is not the unit for you.

I did a search before posting this and so I felt like adding a little FYI to mud.

Needed to replace my OME steering stabilizer that's been on my truck since I purchased it in 2000. Finally feeling wobble when hitting bumps on the road and it appears this thing is just worn out, and it should be!

Thinking of upgrading my shocks to ICON's in the future I thought I would start with the steering stabilizer. Ordered it directly from ICON online to receive an email after the order that it was backordered for 4-6 weeks! Dang! Well that wasn't accurate since it showed up on my doorstep just a week later, nice surprise.

Penciled in some time this weekend to knock this project out. With some PB blaster I was able to sheer off one of the two bolts holding the OME stabilizer in place and properly remove the other bolt. Cleaned everything up and unboxed the new ICON. No bolts or hardware came with it... issue one. The non-destroyed hardware from the OME doesn't fit the ICON..... issue two.

Then there is a set of instructions that basically say if mounting this on OEM you will need crush sleeves for it to work properly. I thought well, certainly they have the hardware to mount this so I tried to call and they are closed on the weekends. Well that's cool, so is my company. So I emailed them. Received a reply today that I would have to build custom mounts to allow it to work since it was a universal unit.

That doesn't "feel right" to me as I'm sure the mounts are fine I just need to find the bolts and crush sleeves. But honestly I'm too busy these days to hunt that down and I just don't want to!

The long and short of it is this, the unit looks and feels top quality! I'm sure it is. If you want a custom, sweet steering stabilizer that is not bolt on, this thing looks sweet. If you are looking for a bolt on application, this is not the unit for you.
As a dealer for Icon, have been hounding them for a while to make an 80 specific replacement, or at least provide a solution that can be easily adapted. Always met with a solid NO. That's why the adjustable Dobinsons is what we ended up stocking. It is a very nice unit and works quite well. Some might call it overkill, but it's solid and bolts right up.

As a dealer for Icon, have been hounding them for a while to make an 80 specific replacement, or at least provide a solution that can be easily adapted. Always met with a solid NO. That's why the adjustable Dobinsons is what we ended up stocking. It is a very nice unit and works quite well. Some might call it overkill, but it's solid and bolts right up.
I ordered the Icon stabilizer several months back. A few mins after the online order, a tech called me to ask how I was planning to you it. When I told him it was going to be an OEM replacement on my FZJ80, he promptly told me it wasn’t going to work without significant modification to the mounts. He refunded me the order. Agree the Dobinson is the way to go if you’re not doing OEM or OME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom