Icon Stage 1 Decision after contemplating Fox 2.0 IFP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I'd follow up on my "No love for Fox IFP 2.0 Coilovers?" thread. I feel its only appropriate since I received some good feedback from several of you on this forum, and I greatly appreciate it. I do believe I was headed in the wrong direction with 2" coilovers as a long term solid solution for my 2010 LC200.

So after looking into OME, Radflo and closely considering Fox 2.5s, I decided on Icon Stage 1 with OME 2720 springs on the rear. I haven't ridden on any of the other options I mentioned, so obviously, I can't provide a comparative review. But, after a couple of weeks of driving around on the Icons, I can honestly say I'm extremely satisfied with my choice.

My brother and I did the install (my first and his second), and other than pulling on the left ABS speed sensor cable (needs replacing), the install went rather well considering our experience. I would definitely do it again.

Now for numbers. For reference, my LC had ~94,000 miles. I ended up with a 1 3/4" lift on the front and about 5/8" lift on the rear. Measurements from the bottom edge of the wheels to the bottom of the fenders after install are 31 1/4" front and 31 5/8" on the rear. I kept the stock UCAs and Firestone was able to align the truck without issue.

Again, thanks to everyone on this forum and all the vendors for taking my calls and answering my questions. Now, the next question. What should be the next mod - Gobi roof rack or ARB bull bar? That, of course, is a rhetorical one, since the wallet is a bit lean after this one, but I can't wait as I'm sure most of you can appreciate. Hope to one day trail with some of you - Cheers!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_65f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6a2.jpg

Last edited:
How is the handling compared to stock? I debated this decision over and over- I ended up with stage 3. I didn't want to be wishing for something better later. Ran me an extra $900 for the adjustable CDC valves. Icon recommended stage I for me as I am mostly street. I read one review on here that someone thought it was too stiff. At the moment I am planning on using stock spring.

I haven't received my set yet and waiting anxiously for it.

How is the handling compared to stock? I debated this decision over and over- I ended up with stage 3. I didn't want to be wishing for something better later. Ran me an extra $900 for the adjustable CDC valves. Icon recommended stage I for me as I am mostly street. I read one review on here that someone thought it was too stiff. At the moment I am planning on using stock spring.

I haven't received my set yet and waiting anxiously for it.
Handling over stock is much better in my opinion. I would agree the ride is much firmer but not necessarily stiff. I was also concerned about stiffness based on some reviews. In full disclosure, I was a bit disappointed at first being the I really liked the stock feel. But, despite the added firmness, there is a certain suppleness that I really like. I was running the tire pressure at 41-42 psi soon after the install, and the ride got better after reducing it to 37 psi. I believe tire pressure is key in providing the proper feedback. Also, I did feel a more substantial difference in the rear which I attribute to the OME spring, so I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the stock springs. How many miles do you have on your LC?

What type/brand and size tire's are you running. Also after close to 100k miles on the stock springs and shocks it was time for a refresh. I did my 100 at about that mileage with OME 2" lift and it felt like a new truck

What type/brand and size tire's are you running. Also after close to 100k miles on the stock springs and shocks it was time for a refresh. I did my 100 at about that mileage with OME 2" lift and it felt like a new truck
I agree, it was definitely in need of a new suspension. I am running BFG 285-65-18 KOs.

I didnt think about ordering a new stock spring, should I? I have 165k miles currently.

Supposedly stage 3 can go softer than stock with cdc adustment. I am worried about giving up stock feel.

I didnt think about ordering a new stock spring, should I? I have 165k miles currently.

Supposedly stage 3 can go softer than stock with cdc adustment. I am worried about giving up stock feel.
Hey Reckless, if it were up to me, with 165k miles, I would replace the rear coils with new ones. Of course, it all depends on how hard your LC has been driven. At 94k mine were definitely soft, and I never really rode offroad. I realize, however, that it all adds up in terms of cost. Depending on your install budget, you can leave your current ones on and see how it turns out. If you don't like, you can always have them changed. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice I will order rear stock springs.

Good looking rig! Your suspension will settle a bit overtime and you might find a few adjustments are in order (namely with the front) to get the height, firmness, and cruiser lean all ironed out. Since I'm local to you feel free to reach out and we can wrench or talk shop.

Good looking rig! Your suspension will settle a bit overtime and you might find a few adjustments are in order (namely with the front) to get the height, firmness, and cruiser lean all ironed out. Since I'm local to you feel free to reach out and we can wrench or talk shop.

Thanks!! I will certainly keep an eye on it. I appreciate the note and the help! Here's an upated pic!

IMG_2860.jpg

Last edited:
Handling over stock is much better in my opinion. I would agree the ride is much firmer but not necessarily stiff. I was also concerned about stiffness based on some reviews. In full disclosure, I was a bit disappointed at first being the I really liked the stock feel. But, despite the added firmness, there is a certain suppleness that I really like. I was running the tire pressure at 41-42 psi soon after the install, and the ride got better after reducing it to 37 psi. I believe tire pressure is key in providing the proper feedback. Also, I did feel a more substantial difference in the rear which I attribute to the OME spring, so I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the stock springs. How many miles do you have on your LC?

What is the highest speed you have driven the new Icons at? I was driving last night in the cold winter and wishing I had the Icons to be able to drive faster on the highway. I was able to drive 80 mph but it was pretty rough. Maybe because shocks/springs were extra cold. I am hoping I can go ALOT faster once I get my Icons. I just hate the feeling that my vehicle isn't fully capable.

What is the highest speed you have driven the new Icons at? I was driving last night in the cold winter and wishing I had the Icons to be able to drive faster on the highway. I was able to drive 80 mph but it was pretty rough. Maybe because shocks/springs were extra cold. I am hoping I can go ALOT faster once I get my Icons. I just hate the feeling that my vehicle isn't fully capable.

The fastest I've driven is slightly above 80. Don't really find the need to drive any faster, however, I will say that the truck at that speed definitely feels much more stable and extremely plush. I'm liking my Icons more and more.

The fastest I've driven is slightly above 80. Don't really find the need to drive any faster, however, I will say that the truck at that speed definitely feels much more stable and extremely plush. I'm liking my Icons more and more.

What about low speeds? Under 20mph - same as stock?

What about low speeds? Under 20mph - same as stock?

At lower speeds, it's not like it used to be when it was stock - it's firmer. I'm currently running the tire pressure at 35 psi cold which is about 2-3 psi less than where I ran it when stock and the suspension feels firmer but it's not harsh. Initially the pressure was at 42 psi and it felt somewhat harsh. I didn't like it. But, I never ran anything above 40 when stock anyway, so no change for me there. When are you expecting your Icons?

A couple more weeks, third delay from Icon. I ordered the CDC so I can improve the slow speed firmness. I was advised not to bother ordering a new stock rear spring.

A couple more weeks, third delay from Icon. I ordered the CDC so I can improve the slow speed firmness. I was advised not to bother ordering a new stock rear spring.

I'm sure the wait is killing you, but with CDC you'll be golden. Great choice - it'll be worth the wait. Good luck!

Usually I am pretty patient person but when it comes to my cruiser I can be very impatient and extremely demanding. I ❤ my Land Cruiser!

@Reckless to please elaborate on your statement about being advised to not change the rear springs?
thanks

I thought I'd follow up on my "No love for Fox IFP 2.0 Coilovers?" thread. I feel its only appropriate since I received some good feedback from several of you on this forum, and I greatly appreciate it. I do believe I was headed in the wrong direction with 2" coilovers as a long term solid solution for my 2010 LC200.

So after looking into OME, Radflo and closely considering Fox 2.5s, I decided on Icon Stage 1 with OME 2720 springs on the rear. I haven't ridden on any of the other options I mentioned, so obviously, I can't provide a comparative review. But, after a couple of weeks of driving around on the Icons, I can honestly say I'm extremely satisfied with my choice.

My brother and I did the install (my first and his second), and other than pulling on the left ABS speed sensor cable (needs replacing), the install went rather well considering our experience. I would definitely do it again.

Now for numbers. For reference, my LC had ~94,000 miles. I ended up with a 1 3/4" lift on the front and about 5/8" lift on the rear. Measurements from the bottom edge of the wheels to the bottom of the fenders after install are 31 1/4" front and 31 5/8" on the rear. I kept the stock UCAs and Firestone was able to align the truck without issue.

Again, thanks to everyone on this forum and all the vendors for taking my calls and answering my questions. Now, the next question. What should be the next mod - Gobi roof rack or ARB bull bar? That, of course, is a rhetorical one, since the wallet is a bit lean after this one, but I can't wait as I'm sure most of you can appreciate. Hope to one day trail with some of you - Cheers!
View attachment 1593426View attachment 1593427

The ABS sensor cable is very thin and easy to break. I did the same thing when I upgraded shocks on my old 4Runner. I just soldered in a new similarly gauge wire and it was good to go. Much cheaper than purchasing the replacement cable from Toyota...

@Reckless to please elaborate on your statement about being advised to not change the rear springs?
thanks

I was advised that since i want to run stock height using stock rear spring that unless the truck always had a load in the back, the rear springs are shot peened and not going to sag.

The “sagged’ wagon” Toyota springs were from old early Toyota SUVs that didn’t have different spring rate from their much lighter truck counterparts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom