ICON or King Suspension - Best place to buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a replacement coil over for the front of a 2016. I am leaning towards ICON or King. What is your opinion and where is the best price on these two that you have found?

Also, what is the biggest tire you can run without major upgrades?

Thanks in advance!

JW

Last edited:
Filthy Motorsports for Kings.

Ben is awesome - he uses a consultative approach to understand your rig, your goals, and your needs to get exactly what is best for you and your rig, and not just some off the shelf standard setup. And it doesn't end when you get them and install them, he will help you adjust and tune them over time once they settle in. They also service them, and have all of the parts to modify, maintain and revalve them. You're entering into a long term relationship, not a one time sales transaction with these guys.

My only comment is that you may need to be patient with Filthy Motorsports. They are slammed, and often take some time to get back to you. I'll say that it is totally worth the wait.

I just got tracking notification that mine shipped out yesterday.

Ben is awesome - he uses a consultative approach to understand your rig, your goals, and your needs to get exactly what is best for you and your rig, and not just some off the shelf standard setup. And it doesn't end when you get them and install them, he will help you adjust and tune them over time once they settle in. They also service them, and have all of the parts to modify, maintain and revalve them. You're entering into a long term relationship, not a one time sales transaction with these guys.

My only comment is that you may need to be patient with Filthy Motorsports. They are slammed, and often take some time to get back to you. I'll say that it is totally worth the wait.

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree- I purchase my kings from Ben a few year back and have been pleased with the product and service from filthy motorsports.

I’m leaning towards Kings or OME. I’ve heard that Icon has had some known leak issues and not the best customer service.

I recommend Icons over BP51 for guys like me who dont fiddle with their suspensions constantly. Kings are very expensive, more than twice my icons but are most likely better. Icons suit guys who like driving 80 mph constantly and aspire to be baja racers. Bilsteins coilovers are my second choice after icons. Icons not great under 25mph but I did stock springs with ko2s.

Maybe do some additional price checking? I found the Icons and Kings to be competitive price wise. For slightly more money than the icons, the King's come with remote reservoirs.

OME are the most affordable upgrade option. If you have a common loadout and want a couple inches of lift, I think they are the way to go.

PNW has Metaltech 4x4 for Icon stuff. They have loads of Icon boxes in their warehouse.

I bought my Icons on Cyber Monday and they ran me $2600 from 4wheeldriveparts shipped (front coilovers and rear shocks all cdcv remote reservoirs stage 4). When I call filthy motorsports I vaguely remember a price of $6k custom Kings. If I had to do it again I would buy the Icons from @cruiseroutfit as I support their Monica Baja racing project. I would be tempted to go for Kings if price difference wasn't soo high. I would also be tempted to go down the Blistein route to save cash (my gut says they are great performers as well). I went with CDC so I could get the ride to the point I like. I still wish the ride was a bit softer but I think its because of my KO2 DT tires its a bit too firm. Be careful with Icons they valve them from the factory for people who have heavy rear bumpers and I would have saved cash by having them revalve it at the factory before shipping. I didn't feel they were helpful in this regard at the time of purchasing.

Last edited:
King 2.5 start at $2595 all in, free shipping, including rear OME springs (the price varies slightly up depending upon which OME set). Of course you can customize from there and spend a lot more, but It isn't necessary.

If you are planning on adding weight. I would change the spring rate to 700 lb per in. Heavier springs will reduce the needed preload on the coilovers to handle the added weight. There are many choices for the rear as well. match the spring rate to the weight of your setup.

I'm trying not to be too much of a fan-boy, but if you go with the Kings, at Filthy, Ben will talk you through this and make sure you get the right springs for your loads and intended uses.

For example, I was going to go with 650 lb springs based on great guidance, but Ben advised 600 lb based on changes to the springs (14" vs 16" springs) that Kings has made in the last year. He would have put 650 on if I wanted them, but I opted to follow his very experienced guidance.

I guess it somewhat depends on whether you want to buy product off the shelf, or buy a package that includes the guidance of someone who lives and breathes suspension. I don't have the knowledge/experience so I opted to go with the expert advice. You may be in a different situation.

I priced the Kings at $6630 for front and rears with compression adjusters. My Icons ran $2600, $4k+ extra is alot in my book. The BP's are a 2.0" shock (not 2.5 like everyone else). They do make sense to guys who fiddle with their suspensions but they have their set of issues as well. I've had my Icons on for 70k miles no issues whatsoever. I have aimed the car and hit every pothole, speed bump at full speed. I like to get my LC completely airborne whenever possible. There is a stretch of road that is undrivable behind my office that I like flying over at 60+ mph and test my shocks daily by aiming at huge craters and sink holes. Some other people may have had bad experiences with Icons but mine have been excellent. My only gripe is slow speed handling which does suck but being digressive shock instead of progressive has its advantages/disadvantages.

Icons love speed. I love speed. Other coilovers aren't designed to eat bumps consistantly at high speed and be super smooth. Ben said he could do something to mimic that effect in the Kings, not sure if it will truly be like digressive valving. It definitely costs extra, north of the $6630 quoted. It required putting something in the valve.

I wouldn't call myself an Icon fanboy as I'm always looking for something even nicer and better. I think I am sold on digressive valving which no one else is doing.

Last edited:
No way I would even consider $6600, but I paid $2595 on a complete 2.5 set, shipped.

I did not get compression adjusters. I've had way too many adjustable suspensions that ended up being set it and forget it, so this wasn't a feature that I was interested in. Height adjustability on the fronts was essential (because of my unusual load and low lift requirement), compression and rebound adjustment was unimportant to me.

You must have done some serious tricking out to get the tab up that high.

Were you pricing out the 3.0 by any chance?

I had a whole nerdy document comparing every brand under $3K, all in price, pro/cons, etc.

I was open to anything, hoping for OME for price reasons. I was hoping to get out of it for under $1300...

My desire to have minimal lift and not have heavy bumpers or a winch made it a lot harder to find an off the shelf solution.

At the end of the day, Kings 2.5, Icon (without remote reservoir) and BP-51 were the Cadillac options comparable in price (remember my cutoff was $3k).

There was enough negative posting about Icons, and BP-51 to give the Kings an edge.

Some generous advice from a fellow muddier nudged me toward the Kings, and Ben's customer service pushed me over the edge.

I'm sure Icons would be awesome too, but none of the vendors selling Icons were responsive to my inquires, so they fell off the list.

Last edited:
You are right I am sorry I added it twice to cart. It is correct $2735. Totally worth it. I would go King for sure. Get Ben to custom valve it to.

I'll buy a set of Kings in 30k miles when my Icons are getting rebuilt.

One thing awesome about coilovers compared to regular springs/shocks. The car feels new whenever you drive it even with 70k miles. It handles beautifully (my car has 230k miles and no one can guess inside or out that it has that many miles). A friend drove it the other day and commented how it drove soo wonderfully he couldn't believe it. So I totally recommend coil overs over regular shocks and springs for this reason. Regular springs sag and after 40-60k miles you can feel it.

You ever consider Radflo? Same quality of Kings, but at the same price and far far far better customer service. They are made to order

+1 on Ben and Filthy motorsports. He walked me through my current set up, projected/future set up and I have been completely happy with the results. I ordered 2.5 Kings with adjustable reservoirs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom