IBS Dual Battery System - Can I Swap Terminals on Relay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many of you are familiar with the the IBS Dual Battery System. I've had one on the shelf for awhile and just now getting around to putting it in my truck.

It's straightforward to set up. I'm planning to put the the relay on the driver side upper firewall of my 80 series Landcruiser. I also have the RBM which I will put on the passenger side upper firewall.

Here's the problem:
With the older style relay the posts are pointed down. the AUX battery power cable should connect to the Post labeled "30", and the MAIN battery power cable should connect to the post labeled "87". If I keep this mounting position, the "30" Post (which is for the AUX battery) is on the drivers side. And the "87" Post (which is for the MAIN battery) is on the passenger side. This forces me to cross the battery cables that looks really weird and not secure. Or, I can try to find a different location for the relay, but space is at a premium.

So, can I swap aux and main battery terminals on the relay, as long as I am keeping the other wires from the Battery Monitor with the appropriate battery (aux or main). In other words:

Power Cables:
MAIN battery Power Cable - To "30" Post on Relay (changed from "87")
AUX battery Power Cable - To "87" Post on Relay (changed from "30")

RBM Wires:
Red - to "30" (changed from "87")
Blue - to "87" (changed from "30")
Yellow - to "86" (changed from "85")
Green - to "85" (changed from "86")
Black - GROUND

Battery Monitor Cables.
Red - MAIN battery
Black - Ground wire to MAIN battery
Blue - AUX Battery
Green - to "85" (changed from "86")

Does this make sense? I've attached a diagram from the installation manual for reference.

IBS_DualBat_Diagram-withrelaybottom.jpg

IBS_DualBat_Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
listen I had one of these and they fail, just so you know. get a blue sea ML-ACR and your good to go.

For those interested, I was able to do some testing the other day and swapping the wires worked.

Basically, I swapped everything that was on the AUX battery in the user manual, which shows on the drivers side in the diagram, and put it on the passenger side. I then put everything that was on the starter battery in the user manual on the other side. The battery monitor is reading the correct battery i.e. when I disconnect the aux battery, the aux LED's show a dead battery, and everything else works as designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom