I need a transplant bumper and eventually a rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time owner of my classy 87 4runner. I want to pull a larger motorcycle trailer eventually. I have a 4 banger and an auto right now. Its ok with just my race bike and pit bike in an open trailer but eventually I'm going enclosed if I don't kill myself on the track.

What are my EASIEST options? Newer toyota would be great if cost effective and easy to drop in. I want to keep the IFS up front for now. Maybe convert later if I sell the FJ-40 on down the road. Chevy would be ok to I guess. Marlin and advance adapters used to make stuff. AA has been problematic in the past for my Jeep many years ago.

Rear Bumper... I want a decent rear bumper for towing and tire carrier. My spare is frozen and I can't get it down. Sooner or later I'm going to be stuck on the side of the road. I don't wheel this truck, its work and play onroad only. I wheel the FJ but its not tow worthy with short wheel base and that boat anchor 2F.

Any advice on dropping the spare???

soak in pb blaster for a day or two..reapply when dry...try again...when that doesn't work...cut off wheel and a grinder...
how is it toyota can make an indestructible truck, but their spare mechanism is the jankiest piece of equipment that's ever been made?

i had to use a pry bar, to pry the flat piece of metal under the spare, and i was stuck along Rt 7 in Leesburg when this happened.

Doubtful you can get a cutoff tool up in there to cut the chain. I've done this a couple of times, had to use a torch. Put a ratchet strap around the spare so it doesn't fall on you. Peel up the carpet in the back just in case, and have someone stand by with a hose.

Toy4xfun That area is my core working area from Leesburg to Purcellville and Lovettsville. Lots of FJ-40s around there.

ANYONE have any advice on the engine swaps and more importantly rear bumpers? I've been out of the scene for a while.

I think your easiest option for towing would be to buy another truck that comes stock with a bigger engine. You can buy something for cheaper than swapping a more powerful engine/tranny and cheaper than modifying the truck for towing.

A newer Chevy, Ford or whatever is a logical choice. Much easier to deal with no doubt, I don't want another vehicle though. I have too many at this point, FJ-40, car, 4runner and 5 motorcycles. The MVA scale me in tags and Allstate insurance doesn't help much either. I want to make this truck last me another few years and sever purpose as work and fun. I'd love to sell the 40 but the.body is too rough now to get any return at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom