I Need a CB & Attenna..what do you suggest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Returning to the chicken band discussion, does anyone know if the Uniden 510 will fit in the ashtray on a 93/94? slee's site describes an install for the 95-97 but the dash is different for earlier 80s.

Also, the original question was whether anyone could recommend a good single DIN cb unit. Since like Joseph I have an aftermakret radio and a spare DIN slot, I am interested in the answer.

Semlin, who is always fashionably late for the party

Simon,
Most current CB chassiss are smaller than 1 din. It would be possible to fabricate brackets and some sort of faceplate. Then you could stick it in the spare slot. If you were to get the Cobra that everybody is bashing,( I like it) you could put it just about anyplace.

Regards...Dan

So, am I to understand this correctly that it seems like most agree that the mag mount WIlson 1000 is the route to go? I have a cheapo firestick on the arb now, and would hate to go to a mag mount on the roof since I wheel in among and over :eek: trees all the time (over only on private property where it's actually preferred). What about the hood?

Hugh - I'm gonna start a sep thread, but there's been recent talk of HAM on the LCML. I'd like to hear more about it. (like it sounds if I used it while climbing in the cascades my wife could watch my progress via GPS :eek: and kick my fat butt for moving so slow :D).

Junk,
Firesticks for permanent mounts are fine. If you want a temporary antenna and associated coax then the Wilson 1000 is the best magnetic mount. I now use a 4' firestick on the back, mounted on the Slee rear carrier.
-B-

Returning to the chicken band discussion, does anyone know if the Uniden 510 will fit in the ashtray on a 93/94?  slee's site describes an install for the 95-97 but the dash is different for earlier 80s.  

snip

I think they are the same size. I have the Rat Shack copy in both the 80 and my 83 mini and they fit just right. That extra DIN slot is for the 6 disc in-dash CD changer. :D

Scott -

I heard from ham guys and radio techs at my old unit to get the best antenna you can afford, and get a radio with whatever you have left.

True. Antennas are to a communications sytem what speakers are to an audio system. Cr*p for an antenna = cr*p for transmitting and reception. If your setup works, you'll never how much better it would be with a better antenna...

This is a very complex subject, but bigger is not necessarily better. Matching the antenna to the radio for the frequencies/bands of intended use is critical, and location of antenna on the rig - or moving the antenna from one place to another - can, and generally does effect the matching.

Radio guys: I have a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit, required as a pilot. I use UHF, VHF, HF on the job. What all does this permit allow me to do?

In the U.S., use of the amateur radio bands requires an amateur radio license. No exceptions to this rule that I have ever heard of.

Cheers !

-R-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom