I may be dumb but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering selling my 16' tundra with 55k to get a 09' cruiser with 109k
I've always had 4runners and lusted after cruisers. My last 4 runner was a 16 TE until I decided to get a bigger boat and as you all know a v6 runner isn't much for towing. Moved over to a 16 tundra and I love it, but I miss having an suv and the look of a nicely setup off-road rig.
I started browsing a little while ago off and on for cruisers, not a fan of sequoia's, and ran across the 09. I went and drooled all over it, took it for a spin, and I'm actually considering the swap.
I know on the surface going for a older vehicle with double the miles sounds stupid, but it's a cruiser so that makes up for it.... Right?

I'm considering selling my 16' tundra with 55k to get a 09' cruiser with 109k
I've always had 4runners and lusted after cruisers. My last 4 runner was a 16 TE until I decided to get a bigger boat and as you all know a v6 runner isn't much for towing. Moved over to a 16 tundra and I love it, but I miss having an suv and the look of a nicely setup off-road rig.
I started browsing a little while ago off and on for cruisers, not a fan of sequoia's, and ran across the 09. I went and drooled all over it, took it for a spin, and I'm actually considering the swap.
I know on the surface going for a older vehicle with double the miles sounds stupid, but it's a cruiser so that makes up for it.... Right?

“Double the miles” isn’t a big deal when you’re talking 55k.
-Not a big deal at all unless utterly neglected.
200k vs 400k? Ya...that would be a big difference....
...but 55-110k on an LC is not a big number.

Nothing out there like a Cruiser.
My 1.5 cents is...
-Look at condition, service and substance. The Tundra is a great truck with the same great 5.7, but Toyota really goes all out with the LC. Both vehicles are basically unchanged during those years anyway...so I say ignore the numbers and if condition and service checks out...choose the vehicle that suits you.

PS. I love my 2008...
I am NOT gentle with it...but I think it’s held up amazingly well:
1598084030186.jpeg

Last edited:
Re the Tundra. My best friend had a Tundra and the frame rusted out. There was some sort of recall for it to repair it and instead he got some kind of settlement from Toyota. He then went out and bought a Ford F150 King Ranch. He's very happy with it and now won't touch a Toyota truck with a 10 foot pole.

Edit: he thought I was nuts to buy a LC due to his experience.

Re the Tundra. My best friend had a Tundra and the frame rusted out. There was some sort of recall for it to repair it and instead he got some kind of settlement from Toyota. He then went out and bought a Ford F150 King Ranch. He's very happy with it and now won't touch a Toyota truck with a 10 foot pole.

Edit: he thought I was nuts to buy a LC due to his experience.

Let's see how many things break on a F150 vs Tundra before 200k.. if the ford even gets there. Also ironic as some fluid film may have prevented his issues entirely. Not that I wouldn't be jaded if the frame rusted out from under my truck.. but the landcruiser has topped the list of length of initial ownership for a long time for lots of great reasons.. and reliability/durability is among the top.

Yep, dump the Tundra and get the LC.

on a completely unrelated note ;), I happen to be looking for a Tundra as a DD so I can reduce the miles per year I’m accumulating on my LC.....

Let's see how many things break on a F150 vs Tundra before 200k.. if the ford even gets there. Also ironic as some fluid film may have prevented his issues entirely. Not that I wouldn't be jaded if the frame rusted out from under my truck.. but the landcruiser has topped the list of length of initial ownership for a long time for lots of great reasons.. and reliability/durability is among the top.
Oh I agree 100%! I've had next to zero issues with my Toyotas and I owned a 2000 100 series LC for almost 20 years with ZERO issues.
Believe me, I bust his chops too. He's a former auto mechanic that was the top man at the Baltimore City garage for a couple of decades.
He conceded after a few beers that the LC is "quite a machine you got there".

A Pontiac J 2000 constantly in the shop and a Chevy Blazer (which rusted to death even with Ziebart on it) caused me to go Toyota and that's the only car brand we've owned since our first Camry we bought in 1988; it was an anniversary edition IIRC.

You may want a Land Cruiser .. and a utility trailer?

The pickup bed will be missed.

You've come to the right place to hear what you want to hear. Get the Cruiser!

That is a hard choice especially if you bought the Tundra new since you know the history. The 200 is still an 11 year old vehicle. You could always buy a camper shell for the Tundra. It is hard to give up a truck if you need the utility of a truck. However if you really want a cruiser YOLO.

I've only used the bed on my tundra once in the 2.5 years I've had it that a runner or lc wouldn't have worked. Ive got a utility trailer for my 4wheeler so if I need to haul I've got that so I wouldn't really miss having the bed.
I got the truck with 16k on it so I know the majority of its life and service history but the biggest thing Im not a fan of is it eats tires. I've had it aligned more times than I can count with different camber, caster, and toe setups to try to find a sweet spot and Im not sure this truck has one. I even lowered it from 3/2 to level to see if that'd help but it still chews them on the outsides. Needing a $1400 set of tires every 25-30k because of that and not from doing fun dumb things isnt something I'd like to do for a long time.

Another thing too going to a little cheaper ride frees up money for mods and other toys too

I traded a 2018 GS350 F-Sport with 10K on it for a 2009 LX with 83K on it. While I miss the GS sometimes, love the LX. A decision I have not regretted even with all of the maintenance I have had to do on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom